Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Jun 11, 2022 at 12:44 Quote
Marin Headlands also has a wackton of mount points. 27.2 seatpost, so toss a Cannondale save post on and it's going to have a good bit of compliance.

Extremely sorry to hear about the loss of the Checkpoint. That's rough dude.

Posted: Jun 11, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Hey gentlemen. Looks like some thread regulars are making the most of their spring, these photos are awesome to see.

A commuting accident (pedestrian steps into bike lane without looking, prompting evasive maneuvers on my part) recently destroyed my 2022 Checkpoint SL frame and the front rim. Amazing timing, having spent all winter plotting bikepacking trips and buying gear. I haven't checked in a little bit (and I don't want anyone checking now) but when it happened, ETA on a replacement frameset would have it in my hands in mid-November. So for Ontario weather reasons, riding it next spring.

Due to an unrelated injury that happened shortly after, I'll probably be sitting out this summer anyway, so the question becomes: what gravel bike do I want to ride next year.

I really really liked my Checkpoint.
- Specifically: All dem accessory mounts, non-proprietary besides the headset, excellent ride quality, reasonable weight.
- The ISOspeed actually great worked for me, the downtube storage was very cool, the integrated frame bag was sick, but I could live without all of those. Great fit but I know how to swap a stem so I'm not stressing that.
- I didn't like the cables-through-headset thing, but I guess that's only really annoying when building/servicing. Dynamo routing on fork and front-facing bolt hole would be the areas for improvement that I thought of in my one month of use.

Has anything cooler in a similar lane come out since then? I'm pretty inclined to get another Checkpoint, but looking for inspiration. Rodeo Labs Trail Donkey and Salsa Warbird seem to come close.
I would stick with the Checkpoint, it's really the best balance between comfort and performance around right now imo.

Posted: Jun 12, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
Thanks for the well-wishes and suggestions all.

Seraph - That Diverge is really clean, has all the clearance I need and enough mounts for me to make it work with my plans. I should have noted, I don't really want any suspension, besides maybe some mild seatpost action. I was pretty skeptical about ISOspeed, honestly.

Sherb - That Marin really surprised me, would not have thought to check them but besides the fork it checks most of the boxes. Thank you!!!

BBLB - That's what I needed to hear, thanks for the backup. It is still the front-runner.

One other potentially relevant note: I do currently kind of have a gravel bike. A few months ago the fork on my commuter broke, so I bought a Trek FX1 Disc (look, it was in stock in my size) and swapped all of my parts over - photos below. So if the neurologist tells me I can go biking in two months, I can just use that. Mission statement is winter commuter, so I don't want to make it especially nice/flashy.

Spec highlights: Easton flared drop bar, GX rear derailleur w/ friction bar end shifter, dynamo lighting. Since the photo, I robbed the seat/post and cages from my Checkpoint's carcass.

Bonus:
FOX/Easton drop-bar dropper remote actuating a bell - incredible for commuting.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 8:48 Quote
I have been joining a group ride every Wednesday over the last 2 months. They break up into 3 groups. The A group are animals, The B group are fast and don't wait. The C group is varied and is a no drop ride. I ride the C group, it is a 25 mile loop with only 1 big hill. Last week we had a large group and 4 of us went off the front. We did not wait for others (broke the rule) and finished the 25 miles with a 19.5 mph average. I was smoked. It is much better riding in a pace line than struggling on your own.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 8:58 Quote
that's a pretty sharp ride man.

I'm down in Tenn and, in hindsight, really should have brought my road bike instead of the MTB...
I'd have gotten more rides in since I could just jump out from the house and not have to tote the bike somewhere. Confused

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 9:26 Quote
BlurredVision wrote:
I have been joining a group ride every Wednesday over the last 2 months. They break up into 3 groups. The A group are animals, The B group are fast and don't wait. The C group is varied and is a no drop ride. I ride the C group, it is a 25 mile loop with only 1 big hill. Last week we had a large group and 4 of us went off the front. We did not wait for others (broke the rule) and finished the 25 miles with a 19.5 mph average. I was smoked. It is much better riding in a pace line than struggling on your own.

Nice!

You should try the B group ride... most B groups are 19-20mph pace so I think you'd be able to hang in

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Nice!

You should try the B group ride... most B groups are 19-20mph pace so I think you'd be able to hang in

agreed...! he definitely should....

I go with a couple people I work with when I've done the group rides with the local riding club. Unfortunately the avg. pace lands in more of a 14-16mph avg.It's literally like f*cking torture, I could walk faster than that. It keeps me from jumping out to the B-group which is more on pace with Blurred's last outing.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
adm750 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Nice!

agreed...! he definitely should....

I go with a couple people I work with when I've done the group rides with the local riding club. Unfortunately the avg. pace lands in more of a 14-16mph avg.It's literally like f*cking torture, I could walk faster than that. It keeps me from jumping out to the B-group which is more on pace with Blurred's last outing.

Thanks for the encouragement but they add some BIG hills to the B loop. Maybe after I get some more miles in.

Here is my mountain bike on a road bike thread.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 10:10 Quote
I wouldn't throw that one out of bed for eatin' crackers Wink

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 10:12 Quote
I have to keep them separated in the basement or they fight.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 16:24 Quote
I ride B with my local club, we try to drop each other on the hills then wait at the top for everyone. Flats are for pacelines. A for us is a drop ride, so I haven't attempted an A ride yet.

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 0:01 Quote
Just did my first road ride since last August. A week ago the weather report said it would be partly cloudy and about 70 degrees on Sunday. So I made plans with my buddy to ride around Mt Tabor, which is pretty tame as far as mountains go but has a lot of cool branching loops. Instead of partly cloudy and 70 we got steady light rain and about 55 degrees. We did about 20 miles, 1300 feet of climbing. My legs hurt today for sure but it was well worth it.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 17:05 Quote
Well I got caught up in chasing the B group tonight. I was the last guy in line and hanging on by a thread. I missed the C group turn off and ended up in the B group. the ride turned uphill and I fell off the pace. The group stopped and waited a the top of the hills but I was not happy to be holding up the entire group. I continued on with them for a few more miles and left the group, I knew my way back. It was nice of them to wait but I didn't want to be the guy that slows the entire group down.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 17:12 Quote
I (and everyone else I've ridden with) dont mind if people hang at the back in the draft to stay in the group. It's how you get faster, just by pushing yourself. Plus longer stops at the top of hills is nice cause more of a rest ain't a bad thing.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 7:15 Quote
^^ I've ridden with both types. some can be next level douchebags. Rolleyes others are fantastic stewards of the sport.

@blurred - if those guys waited for you on that hill, it sounds like a worthwhile group to run with. They don't mind otherwise they'd have checked out.

Like kamizoo said, hanging on to the back of the pack makes you push yourself harder than you may in a solo ride and definitely vs. a C-group ride. Don't sweat hanging at the back. Some of the faster guys (gals) are just happy to see someone actually kicking out the effort to keep up.

Revel in that shit yo. Pretty soon you'll be in that group of guys at the top of the hill waiting for the new-comer to catch back up, quietly grateful for that little extra break Kami mentioned... Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010276
Mobile Version of Website