Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 5:00 Quote
Just an update. My Charge Spoon was delivered today. I installed it and went for a 20 minute ride and it's comfortable.

The Charge Spoon seems to be the best saddle for me. I've used them on mountain bikes too, so at least I know which saddle suits me best now.

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 6:43 Quote
glad your ass is finally happy Kinny Razz

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 6:45 Quote
lol - Thanks adm. Yeah, the pain was pretty unbearable on the Romin Evo and gel saddle I have. No pain at all on the Spoon. Smile

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
I've found Specialized has one of the broadest range of different fits available for saddles.
As soon as I can convince myself to be less outraged by the price, I'm putting a Romin Evo Mirror on my bike. Specialized saddles are far better than I ever expected them to be.

I'm building up a Crux Pro for a customer at the shop right now and he has one for the build. I'm looking forward to trying it out since i run the regular S-Works Romin Evo on my Crux currently.

Posted: Jul 17, 2022 at 23:48 Quote
I prefer a harder saddle and a good quality pair of bibs. Softer /gel saddles usually equal more friction and therefore discomfort.

I use a FIzik Antares or Brooks C13 on my bikes, I used to run the Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio in the past without any issues whatsoever.

From my experience it's impossible to tell the comfort of a saddle based on a 20 minute experience. I usually notice whether I get along or not when I'm around 100km into a ride. Same for the shorts.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 1:02 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

From my experience it's impossible to tell the comfort of a saddle based on a 20 minute experience. I usually notice whether I get along or not when I'm around 100km into a ride. Same for the shorts.

Yup, I'll see how it feels when I go for a 15 mile ride soon this summer.

I had a Spoon on my old single speed build and it served me well with longer rides, so I'd assume it'll be the same with my Carrera.

This was my first single speed bike I owned. It rode nice but it was too good for what I used it for.

Will keep you all updated.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 5:57 Quote
I'd suggest keeping the saddle level to begin with. If any tilt is required, it's minimal.

This looks very, very uncomfortable to me.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 6:03 Quote
Sorry, that picture is an old and gone bike I owned. I was just mentioning that I had a Spoon on it and could ride long distances with that saddle.

This is an updated pic of my current bike with the Spoon saddle -

Nothing new much. Just a new Charge Spoon saddle. More comfortable than the Specialized saddle for me.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 7:32 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
I'd suggest keeping the saddle level to begin with. If any tilt is required, it's minimal.

This looks very, very uncomfortable to me.
Cannot stress this enough... I always tell people that if you're running more than 2 degrees of tilt it's because you're trying to compensate for some other fit issue. There's never a legit reason to run more than a couple degrees of tilt.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
I agree completely BBLB.

I realize it was your previous bike Kenny, just pointing out the saddle position as a point of improvement.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

I realize it was your previous bike Kenny, just pointing out the saddle position as a point of improvement.

I understand. If I recall correctly, I did level the saddle out afterwards. It may have either been the seatpost, or I moved the seat too far forward. I sold it back in 2014.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 14:33 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
I also agree, I've tried a lot of saddles that feel great to begin with (generally quite soft) but start to feel really bad after an hour or so.

I'm currently on quite a hard saddle (Pro Griffon) that doesn't feel especially comfy to begin with(but no discomfort) but never feels uncomfortable even after a long ride. I've had a few WTB saddles on bikes I've bought and they all fell into the too soft camp, started well but quickly caused discomfort.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
I prefer a harder saddle and a good quality pair of bibs. Softer /gel saddles usually equal more friction and therefore discomfort.

I use a FIzik Antares or Brooks C13 on my bikes, I used to run the Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio in the past without any issues whatsoever.

I agree with the hard saddle/good kit approach. I found a Specialized saddle with thin gel and titanium rails that worked for me, recently I got the all-carbon version from a friend. It's just as comfortable. Shape over everything.

I mostly agree with your last point as well, but I'd extend it out to the day after a good ride. My running fave is an old Toupe, and I tried a Romin with similar padding/width. While I found it very comfortable on the bike, the next day I found my old back issues were inflamed. I gave it a few more tries with identical results.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
my absolute best saddle was the Cinelli Unicanitor buffalo hide saddle. But I had thousands of miles on that saddle.

Transferred it from the Trek to the Ochsner I built after totaling the Trek in a ridiculously bad crash. Then my beloved Ochsner was stolen. Really Mad

In my ranting about it over the next few months to the people I rode with about the people that stole it, I was like "FFS at least give me back my saddle ya pricks..."

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 19:32 Quote
I recently tried out a Form Throne RS TI saddle on my CX bike and I didn’t like it at all for that application, it’s a short nose design and I just felt too locked into one position on the saddle. Swiftly put my WTB Silverado back on that bike!

If anyone is interested in trying it out, let me know! I’d loan it for you to try before you buy.

https://formcycling.cc/collections/frontpage/products/throne-rs

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008341
Mobile Version of Website