Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
DavidMatthew wrote:
My current Road Bike in the USA, is my Argon 18 Krypton CS. It is a Carbon Frame/Fork set. It features full Ultegra components, with Disk Brakes, and Carbon Rims. It weighs a couple of oz, over 20 lbs. (9.10 kg)

Ready for the shake-down run. Yes i am running my Mnt. Bike platform pedals. My Shimano XT SPD pedals and matching GIRO SPD shoes are on my Cervelo R3 Disk that is in the Philippines.

photo

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:26 Quote
DavidMatthew wrote:
My current Road Bike in the USA, is my Argon 18 Krypton CS. It is a Carbon Frame/Fork set. It features full Ultegra components, with Disk Brakes, and Carbon Rims. It weighs a couple of oz, over 20 lbs. (9.10 kg)

Ready for the shake-down run. Yes i am running my Mnt. Bike platform pedals. My Shimano XT SPD pedals and matching GIRO SPD shoes are on my Cervelo R3 Disk that is in the Philippines.

nice bike. I dig the Argons. What's up with the flats though ? just ease ??

just trolled your profile photos and made a note on one of them Razz

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
adm750 wrote:

Possibly the same as why I'm using them for now. To learn to handle the bike better until he switches to SPD's?

That's what I'm doing with mine. I stumbled several times with toeclips, so I'll slowly learn to handle the bike better before I switch to SPD's.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:34 Quote
mace-the-amazing wrote:
adm750 wrote:

Possibly the same as why I'm using them for now. To learn to handle the bike better until he switches to SPD's?

That's what I'm doing with mine. I stumbled several times with toeclips, so I'll slowly learn to handle the bike better before I switch to SPD's.

yeah, I hail from the toe clip and toe strap days. would "strike a pose" at a many a stop light. lol lol

fell over my fair share of times too Redface

(still have the Ale clips and Binda kevlar toe straps on my Allez...)

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:48 Quote
adm750 wrote:

yeah, I hail from the toe clip and toe strap days. would "strike a pose" at a many a stop light. lol lol

fell over my fair share of times too Redface

(still have the Ale clips and Binda kevlar toe straps on my Allez...)

lol lol - I'm too much of a wimp to ride on toeclips/straps or SPD's for now, but I will eventually switch when I do longer rides.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Straps are very dangerous compared to spd. You don't come off the pedals unless you undo the straps whereas spd you just twist your foot. If its just the cage and you aren't doing down the straps then that can work but spds are still safer. I've fallen 3 times with spd and every time my feet unclipped so I never twisted an ankle or anything which could happen even with just a cage.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
Straps are very dangerous compared to spd. You don't come off the pedals unless you undo the straps whereas spd you just twist your foot. If its just the cage and you aren't doing down the straps then that can work but spds are still safer. I've fallen 3 times with spd and every time my feet unclipped so I never twisted an ankle or anything which could happen even with just a cage.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I'll be switching to SPD's once I get used to handling my bike at high and low speeds.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
mace-the-amazing wrote:
Kamiizoo wrote:

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I'll be switching to SPD's once I get used to handling my bike at high and low speeds.

SPD or SPD-SL? You can adjust SPD's down to so little tension that you pull out with almost no force and I think they have a cleat that even lets you pull straight up instead of twisting... I'd recommend just swapping and getting used to them straight away, they're a huge upgrade over flats and like Kamiizoo said, clips and straps are just awful.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:57 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

SPD or SPD-SL? You can adjust SPD's down to so little tension that you pull out with almost no force and I think they have a cleat that even lets you pull straight up instead of twisting... I'd recommend just swapping and getting used to them straight away, they're a huge upgrade over flats and like Kamiizoo said, clips and straps are just awful.

SPD were on my mind. And ok, thanks for the info. I've never used them but wasn't aware of how easy it is to unclip. I know you get more power transfer from SPD's, but I'm doing short-length rides right now so using flats.

I'll look into SPD pedals and shoes at the end of the month and see if I can give them a trial to see if I can handle them.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:32 Quote
I wouldnt rec getting the cleats where you can pull up to unclip, when you move to normal cleats it would just be a really bad habit. I'd say just be cautious and expect to fall with normal sh-51 cleats. after a while you get a lot more confident. I'm at 5 months on spd and finally I can trackstand without being scared of falling lol

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:34 Quote
Notes taken, I'll give it a try. I heard fixed gear riders practice track-standing but I've always ridden freewheel. I could practice it though.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:37 Quote
trackstands are useful for waiting at lights without having to unclip and put a foot down. and for mountain biking its incredibly useful when doing tech climbs and waiting behind someone in a group ride, along with eyeing up a little drop or something without getting off.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:45 Quote
photo

This is my 2021 checkpoint sl5 with Bontrager aeolus pro 3v’s

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:17 Quote
After riding 20nm Keo Blades for a few years I am more than happy to switch to my X-Track regular SPDs for general road/gravel riding. They have a little more float than I like but they're so much easier to clip in after a full stop. And they're an easier emergency unclip when I get bumped during a track stand.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014191
Mobile Version of Website