Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Author Message
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:27 Quote
seraph wrote:
After riding 20nm Keo Blades for a few years I am more than happy to switch to my X-Track regular SPDs for general road/gravel riding. They have a little more float than I like but they're so much easier to clip in after a full stop. And they're an easier emergency unclip when I get bumped during a track stand.
I wonder what the actual release force is on my DA pedals cranked up to max.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
After riding 20nm Keo Blades for a few years I am more than happy to switch to my X-Track regular SPDs for general road/gravel riding. They have a little more float than I like but they're so much easier to clip in after a full stop. And they're an easier emergency unclip when I get bumped during a track stand.
I wonder what the actual release force is on my DA pedals cranked up to max.

Not sure, but the 20nm Keo Blades are considered the ones designed for track racing lol

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
mace-the-amazing wrote:
Kamiizoo wrote:
Straps are very dangerous compared to spd. You don't come off the pedals unless you undo the straps whereas spd you just twist your foot. If its just the cage and you aren't doing down the straps then that can work but spds are still safer. I've fallen 3 times with spd and every time my feet unclipped so I never twisted an ankle or anything which could happen even with just a cage.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I'll be switching to SPD's once I get used to handling my bike at high and low speeds.

On my commuter bike I use the shimano t8000. It's one of those platform/spd combo pedals, but the platform is closer in size/feel to an mtb pedal than a city pedal. So even though I'm clipped in 95% of the time on that bike, it's not a huge drop in performance when I use the flat side with normal shoes. And the versatility is nice if I'm, say, going to a friend's place and going out, going to a bar after work, etc.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 18:38 Quote
crs-one wrote:
On my commuter bike I use the shimano t8000. It's one of those platform/spd combo pedals, but the platform is closer in size/feel to an mtb pedal than a city pedal. So even though I'm clipped in 95% of the time on that bike, it's not a huge drop in performance when I use the flat side with normal shoes. And the versatility is nice if I'm, say, going to a friend's place and going out, going to a bar after work, etc.
do those flat pedals resort to the clipless side pointing up? never used them and always wondered about that, it would be an absolute pain to clip in if the flat pedal was on top or something like that.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 19:37 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
crs-one wrote:
On my commuter bike I use the shimano t8000. It's one of those platform/spd combo pedals, but the platform is closer in size/feel to an mtb pedal than a city pedal. So even though I'm clipped in 95% of the time on that bike, it's not a huge drop in performance when I use the flat side with normal shoes. And the versatility is nice if I'm, say, going to a friend's place and going out, going to a bar after work, etc.
do those flat pedals resort to the clipless side pointing up? never used them and always wondered about that, it would be an absolute pain to clip in if the flat pedal was on top or something like that.
Most of the ones I've seen default to flat side up since the clipless half weighs more than the flat side and it ends up down... one of my big gripes with them since I would use that side 95% of the time.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 21:55 Quote
Man, I avoided riding clipless for the longest time. It feels really great though! Not purely for the sake of efficiency, it just feels nice to have that direct connection with the bike and a more stable pedaling platform. It depends on the bike and your riding style though, sometimes flat pedals are a better option.

I’m currently riding Look X-TRACK RACE pedals, which have been great so far! They’re SPD compatible.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 22:27 Quote
I switch between flats and clips fairly often on my road bike for commuting, clips just feels so much better. you dont need to think about foot position and with the flats often I have my foot come off as with clips I pull back a bit and with flats that just kicks your foot off of the pedal.

also BBLB that sounds like a nightmare.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 0:19 Quote
I've been on clips for at least 15 years on my MTB and always on my road bike, I can honestly say I think I've only ever crashed once from being clipped in and it was a stupid one where I was riding slowly across some grass on my road bike chatting to someone and somehow tipped sideways and didn't get my foot out. Fortunately for me only about 20 people saw it happen.... I had a good laugh about it myself so I didn't mind! I'd already been riding clips for years at this point so I've still no clue what happened.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 0:36 Quote
OG Speedplays on the road bike and Eggbeaters on the gravel bike for me.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 1:40 Quote
crs-one wrote:

On my commuter bike I use the shimano t8000. It's one of those platform/spd combo pedals, but the platform is closer in size/feel to an mtb pedal than a city pedal. So even though I'm clipped in 95% of the time on that bike, it's not a huge drop in performance when I use the flat side with normal shoes. And the versatility is nice if I'm, say, going to a friend's place and going out, going to a bar after work, etc.

Thanks CRS, I'll have a look into those too. Just weighing up options for now, and not in a big rush, but I will look into SPD's in the end.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
Flat pedal haver here. Clips for racing, flats for life.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
OG Speedplays on the road bike and Eggbeaters on the gravel bike for me.

Eggbeaters for me as well. Flats on the mountain bikes though.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:36 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Flat pedal haver here. Clips for racing, flats for life.

Flats don't belong on drop bar bikes, imo.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
Always liked the concept of Speedplays. I just can’t get over those cleats for the type of casual mixed terrain riding I like to do.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
thanks Mace-the-amazing for inviting me to be here.my new bike just comes out today.it's a customed TCR adv size S.I'm from Beijing I used to ride up and down in a mountain-Miao Feng Shan in the West of city


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011214
Mobile Version of Website