Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 10:25 Quote
hypo1 wrote:
thanks Mace-the-amazing for inviting me to be here.my new bike just comes out today.it's a customed TCR adv size S.I'm from Beijing I used to ride up and down in a mountain-Miao Feng Shan in the West of city

You're welcome, Hypo.

She's a beauty and I hope to own something similar in the future. Maybe a carbon Defy.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
tup I rode it tonight .needs a bigger front rotor soon.that 140mm got bad viberation and drift in the Conner luckily I didn't crash at first time lol

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Nice looking ride! I like the silver accents.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:20 Quote
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Flat pedal haver here. Clips for racing, flats for life.

Flats don't belong on drop bar bikes, imo.

I will die on this hill, and I have the martyrdom perk.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
Straps are very dangerous compared to spd. You don't come off the pedals unless you undo the straps whereas spd you just twist your foot. If its just the cage and you aren't doing down the straps then that can work but spds are still safer. I've fallen 3 times with spd and every time my feet unclipped so I never twisted an ankle or anything which could happen even with just a cage.

LOL, yeah, I have had a couple big crashes in toes clips/straps. covered a good bit of pavement until the bike and I parted ways Razz

I ride Look Keos now and I'm not a total fan. I mean, I do like the pedal but they are much more difficult to get clipped into than flipping my old pedal up and sliding a toe in to a toe strap and cinching down. Slowing, just reach down, flip the toe strap clasp and your foot is free to come out if you like, but the cleat can remain engaged with the pedal cage if you need. So much more engaged.

The other big drawback, to me anyways...., is the amount of float. I picked the greys (4.5 degrees ? ) and I really need to try zero degree float cleats to see if that will help. I run these tight but i still feel the play. I don't trust laying the power down like I do with clips/straps. There is truly no float and no play with toe clips/straps.

I wouldn't run a modern bike with toe clips/straps, but this new shit has no business on my vintage bike lol

*looking loosely for cleats to bolt onto my Diadora shoes at the moment...*

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
hypo1 wrote:
tup I rode it tonight .needs a bigger front rotor soon.that 140mm got bad viberation and drift in the Conner luckily I didn't crash at first time lol

good looking bike hypo..! Beer

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 12:20 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Nice looking ride! I like the silver accents.
thanks buddy.those silver 105 groupset are stunning!

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 12:22 Quote
sherbet wrote:
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:

On a drop bar bike it's all about smooth pedal stroke and good cadence. Hard to get either of those with flats. Clips are much more efficient, and on the road bike efficiency is key. Maybe on a drop bar monstercross bike flats would be ok, but on a mixed terrain bike it's clip territory.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
adm750 wrote:
hypo1 wrote:

good looking bike hypo..! Beer

I like it looking good and low profile thanks adm Beer

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 12:52 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
OG Speedplays on the road bike and Eggbeaters on the gravel bike for me.

Loved my Speedplays but the lack of four bolt shoes did them in for me. I was on the fence about paying extra for the custom Lake CX402's to get four hole soles but just went three hold and Dura Ace pedals and they just work so well that I have no complaints so, when I was faced with the same choice getting CX403's I went with three hole again. Still have my old pedals and some new cleats, might go back one day but I just can't fault SPD-SL enough to push me back.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 13:44 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
crs-one wrote:
On my commuter bike I use the shimano t8000. It's one of those platform/spd combo pedals, but the platform is closer in size/feel to an mtb pedal than a city pedal. So even though I'm clipped in 95% of the time on that bike, it's not a huge drop in performance when I use the flat side with normal shoes. And the versatility is nice if I'm, say, going to a friend's place and going out, going to a bar after work, etc.
do those flat pedals resort to the clipless side pointing up? never used them and always wondered about that, it would be an absolute pain to clip in if the flat pedal was on top or something like that.

In my experience, pulling away from an intersection, I have to pay a tiny bit of attention to get my foot onto the flat side, but I can just bash my spd shoe into it without thinking and I'm clipped in. But, I ride that bike/pedal clipped in a lot so it's very possible that I've just taught myself that habit.

I haven't tried any other directly comparable pedals, but one road bike has single sided spd (awful) and one has Time road pedals, and the t8000 is easier than both I'd say

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
sherbet wrote:
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I tell myself flat bars get flat pedals, and SPD stands for "strictly pedalling dropbars"

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:
seraph wrote:

On a drop bar bike it's all about smooth pedal stroke and good cadence. Hard to get either of those with flats. Clips are much more efficient, and on the road bike efficiency is key. Maybe on a drop bar monstercross bike flats would be ok, but on a mixed terrain bike it's clip territory.

Clips are very minimally more efficient. Most tests on the topic have shown that the power you get is pretty even between them, with the biggest factor being how stiff the shoe itself is. Rubber soles will always have a level of flex/give that clips will lack.

That said, I found an oval ring smoothed out my pedal strokes very well. No more burnt toast smells. I swapped back to a round ring and can somewhat feel it, but it's still a very steady wattage output.

Weirdly, the only time I like having clips on my drop bar bike is for MTB rides as it tends to be a bit buckwild.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 15:01 Quote
But mostly you should have clips on a road bike because it looks stupid otherwise!

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 15:20 Quote
It’s really simple, push and pull action 100% of the time on both the road and gravel bike. You need dedicated pedals to enable you to do that. Flat pedals don’t allow that type of action.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009138
Mobile Version of Website