Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 1:24 Quote
Monte Grappa climb yesterday, gravel version this time!

So many beautiful buildings in Italy, absolutely incredible.

First 10km of the climb is tarmac, after this you'll leave the tarmac behind and get going on the gravel sections. I've not seen it dip under 10% much on the gravel sections. Tarmac sections go up to 16%.

Some views

It can get a bit bumpy from time to time

Don't touch the brakes on this bit...too much fun!

The reason we climb....

Obviously......

All-in around 70km and approx 1900m elevation. All the climbing was done in the first 35km.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 3:30 Quote
damn man.... beautiful there.

all I did was yardwork lol

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 20:41 Quote
Your ride updates are basically the only reason I come here anymore. Looks amazing as usual! Haha.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 10:46 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Your ride updates are basically the only reason I come here anymore. Looks amazing as usual! Haha.

No one else can top it!

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 0:11 Quote
Too much credit but happy to see you're enjoying the updates.

Even though I absolutely love thunderstorms, it's best not to be riding in them (especially on a ti frame) so I didn't go out Saturday.

I did manage to get a ride in yesterday, I enthusiastically downloaded a mountainbike route to explore on my gravel bike. 84km and 1500m of elevation.

Most of it was doable but there were some sections I wouldn't have done on my previous enduro bike haha, the rain from the day before didn't help either.

I'll pick up a pair of 650b Fulcrum Rapid Red 3's this week and will order some beefier tires for the rough stuff. Ideally I'd like to get myself a pair of Campagnolo Levante wheels as well which would allow me the following setup:

Shamal carbon - 35mm / 40mm slick for road
Levante - 42mm WTB
Fulcrum Rapid Red 3 - 45c / 47c in the rear and 50c/58c up front

Making the most out of my 40T / 9-42 gear combination.

Wide angle distortion here, it's only a 42c tire.Looks like a whopping 2.4 here haha.

Steep drop just behind this tree, due to a landslide that part of the route was wiped out and I got lost a bit. Decided to backtrack were I came from in the end.

I wasn't the only hungry one out there by the looks of it

Super nice flowy trails from time to time

This river crossing was oh so nice....allowed me to clean the bike a bit and cool myself down as well. Wheels were full of water after though which made for an interesting experience whilst climbing. Water was out again after about 10km.

Monte Mori, obviously couldn't resist!

And up I went...

Another thunderstorm incoming...

But there's always time for a coffee stop together with a spritz aperol

Yep, time to dash, bottom of the final climb right here. Last 20km back home was just tarmac and all (slightly) downhill which helped me to outrun the bad weather

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 3:25 Quote
that countryside. just wow....! Salute

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 19:38 Quote
Some would argue that a dropper doesn’t belong on a road bike, this thing is too much fun though! MTBer’s road bike. : )

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
I'd wax the shit out of that singlespeed

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 19:13 Quote
I got it to spice up my commute, which is about 17 miles (27km) and 1700ft (518m) elevation gain if I take the long way home. It’s just enough to be fun after a long day of work, not too killer! About 70% road and 30% dirt. I live for that 30% though!

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
I got it to spice up my commute, which is about 17 miles (27km) and 1700ft (518m) elevation gain if I take the long way home. It’s just enough to be fun after a long day of work, not too killer! About 70% road and 30% dirt. I live for that 30% though!

Sounds fantastic man, and would be a great way to shake off the days events at work.

I would loooove to commute to work. I don't mind the miles, despite being almost 30 mi each way. I could make that work.

It's the time of day that I'd need to leave for work and same returning home.

Seasonal changes in lighting would relegate you to a lot of riding in the dark. When it's light out you're riding into the sun. This means that the sun is in the eyes of drivers approaching you from behind in the morning and again at the end of the day. Just a bad combination when on winding backroads with poor line-of-sight. The middle section of the commute is dead north-south but it's on a 2-lane country road with 55mph speed limit. You'd be on the paint line or just inside it. Lots of truck traffic on this route.

It's a wonderful commute in a car but just not worth the risk on a bike which is extremely disappointing. Frown

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 8:41 Quote
Picked up a base Diverge earlier this summer and I probably ride it more that my mtb. So much easier to just walk out the door and go rather than loading up the big bike and driving out to the trails. Ha ha.

Upgraded the bars to PNW (52cm. I'm a big guy) and swapped for 40c tires over the stock 35. Plan on upgrading the drivetrain over winter because Shimano Claris is garbage. Also going to get a different frame bag that fits better. Picked that one up for cheap because I needed something quick.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 16:51 Quote
Nice, isn’t it great how many setup options we have available nowadays? It’s crazy to think how long the standard road bike was just built around 38cm bars and 23mm tires! Haha

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 16:53 Quote
jsnfschr wrote:
So much easier to just walk out the door and go rather than loading up the big bike and driving out to the trails

This is exactly how I wound up a roadie lol

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 17:08 Quote

Just built it, pretty happy right now!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018669
Mobile Version of Website