Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 8:50 Quote
yeah, I saw you put the Raleigh up for sale. Good luck with your search.

Troy's pushing me to at least get my ass at least into the 20th century with bikes. Figured that Pinarello would get me close. hahaha

Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 8:55 Quote
adm750 wrote:
yeah, I saw you put the Raleigh up for sale. Good luck with your search.

Troy's pushing me to at least get my ass at least into the 20th century with bikes. Figured that Pinarello would get me close. hahaha

If you're not too keen on 2000+ road bikes, and like to remain semi-old school then she's perfect for you.

I love classics and modern, but modern more.

I've been seeing used, mid 2010's carbon Boardman's with rim brakes going for £350-£400, and might save for one later this year.

I had a Chinese 'Flyxii' frame back in 2012'ish, but sold before I built it, and always wanted a carbon road bike, so it's on my to-get list. After that, and a single speed classic road bike, I'll have all I need.

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 8:33 Quote
oh, don't get me wrong, I love the modern bikes. If only money were no object... Wink

I'd still build regardless. That's half the fun....

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 8:37 Quote
sooooooooo..............I'm eyeing a couple crits this spring that I'd like to do. Struggling to find any road races around here.

shit thing is that it's winter, I have no indoor trainer, and the best I can pull off right now for any two-wheeled action is 1....maybe 2....days a week on a damned spin bike. And maybe a trail or two on the weekends.

trying to rally up come cold weather kit so I can ride when favorable outside. Trouble is that theirs a fk ton of salt on the roads and that doesn't get washed off until the spring rains. Shit tears stuff up so I do not want either bike in it.

may wind up just having to kinda wing it and hang at the back to see what the what

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 8:46 Quote
adm750 wrote:
oh, don't get me wrong, I love the modern bikes. If only money were no object... Wink

I'd still build regardless. That's half the fun....

I understand, and relate Rob.

I got a deal and steal with my Carrera and the condition she's in.

I ordered some black wheels with black spokes earlier, so will upload pics next week or so when I get them.

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 10:34 Quote
adm750 wrote:
sooooooooo..............I'm eyeing a couple crits this spring that I'd like to do. Struggling to find any road races around here.

shit thing is that it's winter, I have no indoor trainer, and the best I can pull off right now for any two-wheeled action is 1....maybe 2....days a week on a damned spin bike. And maybe a trail or two on the weekends.

trying to rally up come cold weather kit so I can ride when favorable outside. Trouble is that theirs a fk ton of salt on the roads and that doesn't get washed off until the spring rains. Shit tears stuff up so I do not want either bike in it.

may wind up just having to kinda wing it and hang at the back to see what the what

Doesn't the back of a crit quickly become the people getting elbowed by the front runners?

We've had so much wind lately that the shoulders/bike lines are packed with tree branches. I can piece together some longer rides on bike paths, but can't head out of town from the house for now.

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 11:09 Quote
Weather is, as ever, honking in Scotland at this time of year so took a cheap, low budget week away in Malaga. Holy sh*t it is phenomenal riding out there. These are just some snaps taken from one 160km/100mile ride, we rode 6 days. A LOT of climbing, there is no flat there except on the coast. Highly recommended, especially to the Northern Europeans hating life in the winter. Be warned, if its 20 degrees celsius on the coast it is around 10 on the tops and with a wind it is really quite cold. Arm warmers and gilet were sufficient for me apart from before sunrise. tup ( Mi amiga en el fotos)

photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 13:09 Quote
Stoo....! you always have some epic rides. pics are stunning. you, jurassic, and mori always make me try to stuff 10 pounds of wanna-do's into a 5 pound bucket-list. lol

Maslin02 wrote:
adm750 wrote:

Doesn't the back of a crit quickly become to people getting elbowed by the front runners?

We've had so much wind lately that the shoulders/bike lines are packed with tree branches. I can piece together some longer rides on bike paths, but can't head out of town from the house for now.

I believe you're right on the money and I'm not going to be able to stand for that bullshit at all. I'm sure I'll be trying to mix it up and push my way as far up the pack as I can. It's not anywhere in my nature to not go towards the front.

I'll just be the guy wheezing and dying trying to do it lol

Weather has been shit here. Raining....or cold....or snowing....it's been impossible for me to even hit the trails. I need to move my ass back down south. Facepalm

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
let's talk socks..... I've always gone with a standard run-of-the-mill ankle cut sock for all riding types. Nothing fancy, just a box store athletic sock...

anyone have recommendations on preferred socks for road riding...?

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 10:36 Quote
I always wear mid-cuff Sock Guy socks. They fit well, have actual size designations, and come in cool colors/patterns.

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 11:13 Quote
Mid cuff height for me as well... No real brand preference, I have some Sock Guys that are great, some from Le Col, Assos, Pearl Izumi, some Castelli and dhb wool socks for winter riding. Best value would probably be the dhb's... got 'em from some UK site and they were like $12 a pair and have been really solid, warm without being bulky and still comfortable even when they get wet.

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 16:48 Quote
This is my one bike clothing obsession.

All merino all the time basically. Just the best material for sweating all day, riding through puddles, and shrugging it all off. Blend/thickness/brand varies based on temperatures. I've got some Icebreaker units that barely fit into my shoes that are seeing major use commuting right now. When it's a tiny bit warmer, I've got some Smartwool units I originally bought for canoe trips. For spring/summer/fall I like Pearl Izumi the most, followed by Sock Guy.

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 17:20 Quote
I've never been a high-cuff sock dude, but I'm gonna change me ways.

Sock Guy Stalker is a must...and trash Panda...

will be looking into the others as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Salute

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 18:16 Quote
Bellwether has a bunch of really awesome socks, too. I have a few pair for road as well as MTB, really nice with vented material on the top footsie part.

Posted: Jan 19, 2023 at 20:28 Quote
crs-one wrote:
All merino all the time basically. Just the best material for sweating all day, riding through puddles, and shrugging it all off. Blend/thickness/brand varies based on temperatures.

Totally! I’ve come to the same conclusion. It’s expensive, but the comfort is worth it! I won’t wear anything but wool socks anymore, bike riding or not.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014811
Mobile Version of Website