Women and Body Armour help please

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Women and Body Armour help please
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 13:17 Quote
Right I started with a full face then as i rode more i got knee & shin guards (dont ask me how but i destroy my shins by wacking them in to my pedals) and elbow guards but now i fancy some actual body protection so advice please on what works and doesnt work for women. Ive been looking a a couple bits 1st the troy lee chest protectors though im not sure how this works for women as there for men http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78594 through to full on ixus womens jacket http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34184 and then theres the plain leatt back protectors http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=68345, i suppose my back is an area that concerns me so this is what i want to protect so im not sure if im looking at the all together wrong products or not. Im not racing or doing anything to crazy but i want to be protected as im sure even a small wipeout on to something bad or at the wrong angle is as bad a a big one but as a female will mens stuff be ill fitted or among the female community on here is there 1 or 2 products that you swear by for being all round protective and well fitted.

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 14:44 Quote
Hi,

Please do not take this the wrong way, but you say your not doing anything crazy. I can understand knee, shin and elbow pads.. but if your not going mad do you need the body armour?

Why not look into improving your skills and confidence on the bike and invest in a course.. sorry not the answer you want I know, but if you land badly body armour will help, but learning not to land badly will be better prevention and last longer.

Gee

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 15:15 Quote
I agree with Gayle, I aquired some female specific body armor from a friend for a fiver just before christmas (CRC sent it to him by accident and didnt want it back) but now its just sat in my wardrobe and I havnt actually used it yet. I would wear it for races and if I went to a DH track I knew was pretty gnarly but so far I havnt really felt the need to use it. Everyone I ride with is pretty much the same, they save armour for races etc, I suppose its that extra confidence boost when you actually need it Smile

As for fit, Avoid anything with a hard plastic chest plate, even womens specific stuff (Even womens stuff doesnt seem to account for boobs). I had to bodge mine a bit, unpick the stitching and take the plastic chest plates off and luckily there was some soft padding underneath.

If you want to be sure of a fit maybe go for just the back protecter as you dont have to worry about the front fitting.

Hope this helps

Posted: May 9, 2012 at 4:28 Quote
Hey, I vote YES on body armor. When you are a beginner is when the protection is the most important. You may not be doing gnarly stuff now but I'm guessing you want to progress, so you will be doing more and more gnarly stuff soon! I did the exact same thing as you, went with just the elbow guards thinking that I wouldn't need more than that. Well things progressed, and last week I had the chance to race a UCI 1. I didn't do it partially because I wasn't comfortable practicing the course without armor. Being able to go for it and crash at your convenience and know that you won't be completely smashed is very liberating, weather you are attempting to race track that is way, WAY beyond your ability level, or just trying to learn knew things. Big Grin

I am currently waiting on my POC Spine VPD 2.0 Jacket
http://www.allsportprotection.com/POC_Spine_VPD_2_0_Jacket_p/poc0058.htm
I picked it over an Alpinestars Stella, Dainese Performance Armor and a Fox Titan which I tried on. The fox was horrible, boob-crushing affair that sticks out in accordance to the angle of your cleavage, the Stella was legit. but a bit to plasticy to want to spend a whole day in. The Dainese was really comfortable and you can buy a womens spesific chest plate, take the guys one off and sew it on. I picked the POC (even though I haven't tried it on) because it seems like it is going to feel kind of "barely there" while providing motorcycle standard protection. I read a review of another girl who compared wearing it to traditional armor as wearing a t-shirt to a straitjacket. I saw a girl at the race with the IXS jacket and it looked like it fitted really well, she was pretty petite. Go for the full jacket, not just back or torso. Your arms and shoulders get hit way more often than your back.

The other thing I really love is my Leatt brace. For me, aside from my helmet, this is the single most important piece of protection I have. You talked about falling at a bad angel, --crashing with a Leatt and without is a totally different experience. Not having your neck jerked or tweaked when you go over the bars on to your head/shoulders (how I seem to like to do) is like night and day to the overall pain factor of failing yourself. I have been riding for a couple of months with a Leatt without upper body armor, and now I don't every want to ride without it.

Sorry if that was kind of long, just it's kind of a subject close to my heart these last few weeks. I crashed really hard, the week before the race and won myself a messed up shoulder, and the stress of not being able to ride before I was suppose to go and compete.

Get the armor, wear the armor, and be marry!
Big Grin

O+
Posted: May 11, 2012 at 15:13 Quote
I agree with savinka on the body armor. Doesn't matter if you aren't doing anything crazy or not. I always wear mine even if I'm out riding an easier trail. I've made foolish mistakes because I'm tired or distracted...and that armor can be the difference between dusting myself off and continuing my ride or a trip to the hospital or even ending my biking season.

I'm currently using Dainese armor and am extremely happy with it. Yes it's a bit hot...but again, for the amount of times it has saved me, it's well worth it!

Posted: May 20, 2012 at 13:12 Quote
Hi,

I always ride with a full face and neckbrace- and it really did save me on a hairy crash recently.
but as for armour I ride with the combination of a 661 subgear long sleeved shirt and nukeproof critical armour vest. I find that great as it is not too hot, not too bulky- I don't find my riding is restricted at all and does the protection job very well!

Hope that helps
Helen

Posted: May 20, 2012 at 23:51 Quote
Combining armor, hmmm. Clever!
I tried out the POC armor sunday. It's really comfortable, the chestplate is awesome because it is completely flexible and does not squish your boobs at all. I got the xs/s and it is still a little too big. It is still wearable, but it doesn't fit quite so painted on in the shoulders and elbows as it would on a guy. I am 5'5"/125lbs and I don't see any girl getting a medium or large. My BF tired it on and we determined he would be a M.
To test it, I had one light crash off a jump. I didn't really feel anything but I don't consider that I properly smashed myself. Next week we have 4 days solid of riding so I'm sure I will get the opportunity to report back about the true impact absorbing properties of POC's magical VPD 2.0 material. Big Grin
POC VPD 2.0

Posted: May 21, 2012 at 8:51 Quote
I have been riding the gnarly shore for 3 years and not once had any injuries that wearing chest armour could have helped. That being said everyones ride is different, everyones trails are different. One thing that I always do, that has maybe saved my torso without me knowing is riding with a backpack. I use it mostly for tools water helmet ect.

One thing you mentioned was wanting to protect your back. When my pack dies I will be looking into a back protecting backpack from EVOC It seems like it would be less bulky and give you that extra bit of confidence knowing your back is more protected. I'm not saying this is the best solution but it makes a lot of sense to me Smile

Posted: May 21, 2012 at 12:47 Quote
iwantapinkbike wrote:
I have been riding the gnarly shore for 3 years and not once had any injuries that wearing chest armour could have helped. That being said everyones ride is different, everyones trails are different. One thing that I always do, that has maybe saved my torso without me knowing is riding with a backpack. I use it mostly for tools water helmet ect.

One thing you mentioned was wanting to protect your back. When my pack dies I will be looking into a back protecting backpack from EVOC It seems like it would be less bulky and give you that extra bit of confidence knowing your back is more protected. I'm not saying this is the best solution but it makes a lot of sense to me Smile

I've talked to a couple of people who tried the EVOC w/spine protection. They reported that the pack comes in nice colours but found it a bit bulky and hot...and quite a bit over priced.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 1:01 Quote
Oooh I'm a big advocate of body armour, especially for beginners, and pinners! It's probably the groups in between that don't need it AS much. But having witnessed a friend and a young fella a couple of weeks ago break their spines from direct impacts, and both being lucky to get away with it, has reinforced my thought processes.
It's great for progression as well, and I had most of my high speed ridiculous stacks when I stepped up to DH and jumping - just wear it! I ride Leatt neck brace and a 661 pressure suit - but I've had that for ages and it's losing its staying power. The chest plate sticks out and looks crappy but it's so comfortable, even in the Australian heat, that I haven't wanted to change until now.
I'm checking out all the options on this thread - I like the sound of a woman wearing POC, my BF wears it and I have looked at it with envy.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 7:26 Quote
Thanks to resurrecting this thread one year on! I actually forgot all about it but now I'm glad as I once again am in a similar predicament as last year, and wouldn't mind equally sharing my experiences.
So to start with a came out to whistler a complete beginner in DH or even any XC riding, but as people will know whistler is a unique place and with the terrain on offer & the standard of riding and mix of people, it wasn't long before what I said in my original post "I'm not going to do anything crazy" goes out the window (well crazy in my mind at least is what I thought it all was till I did things the 1st time and realized its not as scary as it looks) and before the end of summer I'd conquered most trails & some big tables/drops/features, but anyway that's not what this post is about.
I switched armour a few times, I'd started with a full on race face armour suit, which after a few months I sold, reasons I found it so bulky/heavy, I wasn't getting on with the full arm sleeves, to much plastic it wasn't kind enough with any padding, bionic boobs (yes it what shaped for women but seriously who wants to have two massive pointy Madonna style plastic things sticking through your top). Sounds like I didn't like it hey, actually it saved me on a couple of occasions, several shoulder 1st incidences (i'l come back to this) and one I didn't even know about (a good thing) a big slice to the back plastic plate from a rock on downtown @ silver star. I then changed it to the ixs hammer jacket after seeing one on a stand at crankworx mainly as I liked it was short sleeve and had plenty of hard material where u wanted it but equally foam also where you wanted it and it felt a whole ton lighter to wear. So I combined it with my poc elbow guards and was a lot happy for the rest of summer.
I have decided I am defiantly going in the neck brace direction this year which has now opened up a whole new issue of finding something which is brace compatible so I'm back browsing the Internet & stores to find something suitable.
A couple things I have picked up from riding last summer though, shoulder protection, there is some nice vest type armour out there and as much as I would like to roll with that and elbow guards I've seen so many shoulder dislocations, collar bones breakages & general top arm/shoulder hit 1st whether tree or ground crashes I think it's important to have those covered with some protection, I've hit hard on mine enough times and feel it was fortunate that my armour helped me against the impact and I suffered very little bruising or pain after. So back to the drawing board again for this year, but from the original post and comments yes it does seem some people take armour as a reason to go a bit crazier I knew people who very much thought like that, myself no I actually found it restricting a little which may sound odd, I rode a couple times without it and I felt a lot looser and freer on the bike. I think you can over do armour also I did in the beginning and it was heavy & hot all a bit over board. I've also seen armour help but in big crashes do very little, I slid big one day ripped my elbow guards right off and I got cut to pieces, again with elbow guards my friend fell landing Aline drop her elbow guards ripped right off on impact, another friend crashed on a berm her knee guards just ripped off her knee with the impact and she was in hospital as they were cut real deep and ended up needing surgery. To a beginner then yes I think they help aimd you mentally and physically but like anything once you step it up a level then maybe it's up to the individual, I was once told by ski patrol that after 30km/h a helmet is useless it has no protections because of the impact force you can't even make anything that would be without it being huge & weighing a lot. I'm guessing the same could be said for body armour and that's when it becomes mental protection, however with all that I feel more at ease in my mind wearing it so don't think I will be hanging up a body armour suit if any description some time soon.

Posted: Mar 4, 2013 at 7:26 Quote
i just went and tried on a tld cp5955/5900, and they are amazinggg! it does sort of have a short chest piece (it doesnt go as far down the torso as some other roost guardtype things) but it feels so articulated and its hinged perfectly to fit all around my body. Super adjustable, so for being a one size thing i was impressed it actually fit. I always have trouble finding something small enough, but this was a medium and if fit perfect! the straps adjust down so small Big Grin super comfy so im thinking i'll probably get it, unless i feel that the back protection isnt enough.

As for a leatt chest protector, there was only a medium at the store and that didnt fit me, the plates were too wide for my body, and i was disappointed in the lack of adjustability. If you needed it tighter, you dont have much room to make the straps shorter. If i had a small size to try on i would be able to have a better review on this.

Posted: Jun 1, 2015 at 22:03 Quote
savinka wrote:
Combining armor, hmmm. Clever!
I tried out the POC armor sunday. It's really comfortable, the chestplate is awesome because it is completely flexible and does not squish your boobs at all. I got the xs/s and it is still a little too big. It is still wearable, but it doesn't fit quite so painted on in the shoulders and elbows as it would on a guy. I am 5'5"/125lbs and I don't see any girl getting a medium or large. My BF tired it on and we determined he would be a M.
To test it, I had one light crash off a jump. I didn't really feel anything but I don't consider that I properly smashed myself. Next week we have 4 days solid of riding so I'm sure I will get the opportunity to report back about the true impact absorbing properties of POC's magical VPD 2.0 material. Big Grin
POC VPD 2.0

Posted: May 30, 2016 at 17:26 Quote
Seems to be a couple years since anyone posted on this thread about armour. I'm in need of a new jacket for DH. Currently in a Dainese Manis S. I'm 5'5 and 125lbs and its a touch big on me, but it's worked out ok. I'm considering the POC, as there seems to be some good reviews. But has anyone found a good protection, not too bulky, that fits a little better than a Mens S? Thanks!

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 16:13 Quote
roseoakhill wrote:
Thanks to resurrecting this thread one year on! I actually forgot all about it but now I'm glad as I once again am in a similar predicament as last year, and wouldn't mind equally sharing my experiences.
So to start with a came out to whistler a complete beginner in DH or even any XC riding, but as people will know whistler is a unique place and with the terrain on offer & the standard of riding and mix of people, it wasn't long before what I said in my original post "I'm not going to do anything crazy" goes out the window (well crazy in my mind at least is what I thought it all was till I did things the 1st time and realized its not as scary as it looks) and before the end of summer I'd conquered most trails & some big tables/drops/features, but anyway that's not what this post is about.
I switched armour a few times, I'd started with a full on race face armour suit, which after a few months I sold, reasons I found it so bulky/heavy, I wasn't getting on with the full arm sleeves, to much plastic it wasn't kind enough with any padding, bionic boobs (yes it what shaped for women but seriously who wants to have two massive pointy Madonna style plastic things sticking through your top). Sounds like I didn't like it hey, actually it saved me on a couple of occasions, several shoulder 1st incidences (i'l come back to this) and one I didn't even know about (a good thing) a big slice to the back plastic plate from a rock on downtown @ silver star. I then changed it to the ixs hammer jacket after seeing one on a stand at crankworx mainly as I liked it was short sleeve and had plenty of hard material where u wanted it but equally foam also where you wanted it and it felt a whole ton lighter to wear. So I combined it with my poc elbow guards and was a lot happy for the rest of summer.
I have decided I am defiantly going in the neck brace direction this year which has now opened up a whole new issue of finding something which is brace compatible so I'm back browsing the Internet & stores to find something suitable.
A couple things I have picked up from riding last summer though, shoulder protection, there is some nice vest type armour out there and as much as I would like to roll with that and elbow guards I've seen so many shoulder dislocations, collar bones breakages & general top arm/shoulder hit 1st whether tree or ground crashes I think it's important to have those covered with some protection, I've hit hard on mine enough times and feel it was fortunate that my armour helped me against the impact and I suffered very little bruising or pain after. So back to the drawing board again for this year, but from the original post and comments yes it does seem some people take armour as a reason to go a bit crazier I knew people who very much thought like that, myself no I actually found it restricting a little which may sound odd, I rode a couple times without it and I felt a lot looser and freer on the bike. I think you can over do armour also I did in the beginning and it was heavy & hot all a bit over board. I've also seen armour help but in big crashes do very little, I slid big one day ripped my elbow guards right off and I got cut to pieces, again with elbow guards my friend fell landing Aline drop her elbow guards ripped right off on impact, another friend crashed on a berm her knee guards just ripped off her knee with the impact and she was in hospital as they were cut real deep and ended up needing surgery. To a beginner then yes I think they help aimd you mentally and physically but like anything once you step it up a level then maybe it's up to the individual, I was once told by ski patrol that after 30km/h a helmet is useless it has no protections because of the impact force you can't even make anything that would be without it being huge & weighing a lot. I'm guessing the same could be said for body armour and that's when it becomes mental protection, however with all that I feel more at ease in my mind wearing it so don't think I will be hanging up a body armour suit if any description some time soon.

Reviving the revived post.

I'm wondering if anyone has found some lady sized upper body armour with shoulder protection that works with neck braces?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011359
Mobile Version of Website