How do you get your bike to the trails?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
How do you get your bike to the trails?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 2, 2012 at 15:22 Quote
Alright people,
Im wanting to make getting to trails as easy as possible, getting up early with a belly full of beer is hard enough with out getting up extra early chewing on with racks and the like.

But thats what i want to make easier, im looking into alsorts of ways and means, i have a box for gear to thats all in n never forget a glove or a knee pad.

My rack is my main problem, what do you use?
I have a halfords ratchet strap effort, 6 straps hold it down with high rise bars to take the bikes, problem being i have a seat leon mk1 cupra, and the shape of its boot limit me to rack choices, any companys let you test them? Open to van sharing or vehicle suggestions too! Anything to make life as easy as it is on the trails,

Thanks alot, Dan

Posted: May 4, 2012 at 23:22 Quote
I have a big 4x4, can easily get 2x DH bikes in with only front wheels off, plus it's great for uplifts! Posted a pic the other week

Posted: May 5, 2012 at 0:15 Quote
just be thankfull youve can drive! haha. we ride there and 10miles on a dh bike both ways is not so easy

Posted: May 5, 2012 at 4:01 Quote
ivi4rk wrote:
just be thankfull youve can drive! haha. we ride there and 10miles on a dh bike both ways is not so easy

well this thread might be perfect for you to find a lift lol, u help with fuel they help with saving your tacky DH tyres for the trails lol, i think id cry having to ride my DH with super tacky butcher on the back on the road lol id have a slick by the time i got there

Posted: May 5, 2012 at 4:03 Quote
maggsy wrote:
I have a big 4x4, can easily get 2x DH bikes in with only front wheels off, plus it's great for uplifts! Posted a pic the other week

i was thinking about getting a nissan navara or something similar, but my car now 150bhp and costs bait to run, i don't want to cost me miles more for the 2.5litre in them just to get bikes in easy lol, although i would if i knew more about what it costs, because that is the easiest way, just throw em in the back

Posted: May 6, 2012 at 14:20 Quote
KEEPitSTUPID wrote:
ivi4rk wrote:

well this thread might be perfect for you to find a lift lol, u help with fuel they help with saving your tacky DH tyres for the trails lol, i think id cry having to ride my DH with super tacky butcher on the back on the road lol id have a slick by the time i got there

no one that we ride with can drive, and theres not many people round here that ride haha. should be able to drive in a couple months though! Smile

Posted: May 7, 2012 at 4:12 Quote
I need to buy a van, just don't trust the second hand bike rack!

Posted: May 9, 2012 at 1:27 Quote
I don't trust those hatch mounted bike racks

Got myself an accord estate which fits the bike in with both wheels in, much safer and saves drag as well

Posted: May 9, 2012 at 12:55 Quote
i use a vauxhall combo, cant go wrong using a van!

Posted: May 9, 2012 at 13:04 Quote
Well ive jinxed it, my truck died tonight on my way to my photography class....... whoops

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 5:49 Quote
the only thing with getting a van or truck is losing my cupra Frown i always think women would be happier sat in a cupra than a transit or something lol, thats y it would have to be a Navara if i changed car, MPG in them beasts?? lol tempting though, how long do roof racks take to put on n off?

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 11:23 Quote
unless u need to use a 4x4 why would u get a navara, why not get something like a vw caddy pretty much a car with space! least u can leave your stuff in there if u need to not like a pickup, i wouldnt leave a can of pop in a pickup u know it wont be there when u return also everything needs to be strapped down though u wouldnt put anything in the back because it will get soaking lol small van be better mpg and probs be cheaper to insure, only thing a pickup has going for it is 4 wheel drive.

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 12:59 Quote
Not thought about estate cars?

Get a big engined one, good mpg, cheap insurance and they're pretty damn quick an handle really well some of them

Posted: May 10, 2012 at 14:34 Quote
I was going to get an estate or a van but went with the 4x4 as it has 7 seats and goes off road, add a rear bike rack and I can do uplifts! Can currently manage 2 bikes 3 people.

Posted: May 11, 2012 at 4:33 Quote
with a navara you can get 5bikes in and a storage conner to use as a boot, its all painfully easy just to throw the bikes in the back, they sit in a slot then the front wheels hang over the tailboard, but yea thats totally my dilemma a van is on the most part cleaner everything is where it should be, just why can they look good too?! theres only really the vw transporters that are nice and they're a fortune, vans aren't too cheap for me to insure either for some reason, i wish astra vans were still about they're ideal good looking and roomy

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012319
Mobile Version of Website