Best clipless all-mountain setup?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best clipless all-mountain setup?
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 0:07 Quote
Crankbrothers 100%. I've ridden a set of Eggbeaters for two years, never needed a re-build, never faulted me, perfect pedal. I rode a set of Candy's for a year before i sold the bike, exactly the same however, no issues.

I've now got another new set of Crank Brothers Candy pedals on my latest ride, and they're still amazing. They have less parts to go wrong, easier to clip in with 4 entry sides, they're lighter, they clear mud better.

Posted: May 14, 2012 at 5:45 Quote
I wouldn't say they are easier to clip in to, although they have 4 sides they move freely compared to the cage, spd's are in a set position in the cage so I have always found spd's easier to clip in to.

In reality people need to try different styles of clipless pedals because they're very different, I personally don't like Crank Bros but love spd's.

Posted: May 14, 2012 at 6:17 Quote
I love my Crank Brothers, have had the same set of Candys since they were released over here, only had to change the bearings once and it was a pretty simple job. And I dread to think of the milage they had done before the bearing went as I was riding mtb marathons.

I even have egg beaters on my road bike, as I found them really easy to clip in and out of.

The only problem I have recently found is I got new shoes and fitted new cleats and until the cleats wear down a bit I have to really stamp to clip in but this is getting easier each ride.

Looking to get a set of mallets now for my new bike.

Posted: May 14, 2012 at 11:47 Quote
I run AM45s with Crank Brothers candy 2s, I think the CBs are better in the mud and offer a lot more float so kinder on the knees. I have never carried out any maintenance on the pedals in over a year.

Posted: Jun 10, 2013 at 20:11 Quote
I have rode Candy 3 for years with no problems. Crank Brothers for days.

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 13:00 Quote
continuity wrote:
I struggle to find a difference between the £20 SPD-M530's and the £50 M785 XT's. It's like, what, 20grams in it across both pedals?

I use m530's with mavic alpine xl shoes, but with the clear run as far back and angled so my heel is inwards (following mister barel)

I run the same setup M785 XT with the Mavic Alpine XL shoes and have been loving them both thus far. Only once they failed me and it was due to debris stuck under my shoe. But I love beaing able to unclip and not slide down a muddy hill.

continuity- why do you run them so far back?

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 13:12 Quote
I've got two pairs of shoes and on one I have put the cleats further back and so my heels point in slightly, I have to say I really like it. On long descents I would get really tired calves due to standing in the pedals so long but it isn't as bad with the cleat pushed back

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 10:43 Quote
I Have a set of Crank Bros Mallets DH....so far so good with no complaints. All my friends have Crank Bros and they never had any problems, that why I went with a set. They are a bit tricky to get into tho, I have 2 different shoes my 5-10s which go in and out good but my Sidi that I use for races are a bitch once I unclip and to get back clipped in....its like I have to search for that right spot to hear the snap-in, and all this while trying to keep pedaling during a ride or a race. Other then I have no other issues.

Posted: Aug 6, 2013 at 10:10 Quote
skinflute wrote:
continuity wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:

Its how long they will last you. You regularly find people with xtr's they have well over 5 years my cheaper shimanos not sure exactly which model but after a year the bearings had gone. My dx's i bought 2nd hand for my DH bike ive had over a year and still no signs of wear so hoping my xtrs will be the same and actually save me money in the long term.

Actually the XTR's often strip their bearings due to weight compromises; there's three threads on singletrackworld about it today.

If you buy them for the weight and/or bling that's cool (the clip mechanism is identical so it's no different feeling). I just don't think that my £20 m530's are going to last five times less than a pair of £100 xtr trails.

so the main thing about the xtr over a pair of xt, or really infact, any other, is that the xtr pedals have a lower stack height than any of the other pedals. when the pedal has a lower stack height, it gets you foot closer to the spindle of the pedal, significantly increasing your pedaling efficiency.

Biggest difference in my mind is spindle material. The 785 being stronger. There may be other advantages with weight, stack height, bearings.. But spindle strength is the big one for me. Being a heavier guy, I need to trust the pedal 100%. Me and lots of riders I know have snapped spindles on CB pedals and I won't ride them for that reason alone.

Posted: Aug 6, 2013 at 12:35 Quote
I use time ATAC's - same pair I bought in 94

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 19:31 Quote
Crank brothers Mallet DH all the way!

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 21:07 Quote
I use xt race pedals and the specialized sport mtb shoe. I've owned 2 sets of eggbeaters, they last about a a year before i brake them on a rock. Also on my 2nd set of shoes, my first pair lasted 2.5 years.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 at 0:21 Quote
Any recomendations and opinions please:

never used clipeless before. don't have a possibility to try different pedals and shoes so will just buy online once.
bike - Reign. style - very very lite enduro|all-m. now riding DMR V12 with some adidas, often my foot got lose frome pedal. climat - summer, so shoes must be very breathable.

So, candidates:
pedals:
crankbrothers Mallet E Clipless/Platform Pedals
crankbrothers Mallet E LS Klickpedale Modell 2017
crankbrothers Mallet DH Clipless Pedals - 2018 Model

which one is better and how to determine it? E vs E LS - only longer spindle, but how to decide?

shoes:
Five Ten Hellcat Pro MTB SPD Schuhe Modell 2017
Five Ten Maltese Falcon MTB SPD Shoes - 2017 Model
Shimano SH-ME7 MTB Shoes
Mavic Crossmax XL Pro MTB Shoes
Sidi Epic MTB Schuhe

what would you buy?

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 at 5:04 Quote
Out of those options I'd personally go for mallet DH and Shimano me7. The mallet DH have the wider axle as well as a bigger platform for additional stability. I find 5.10's aren't a great fit and the Shimano are probably more durable and better for pedaling.

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
SH-ME7 only fits to Shimano's cleats or ... ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010134
Mobile Version of Website