DH Bike Bag

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH Bike Bag
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2014 at 13:00 Quote
A lot of airlines will give you a discount if it's sporting equipment you're carrying. I know Virgin lets bikes fly for the price of a normal checked bag, and since they give you one checked bag for free, that's incentive to cram as much of your stuff into the bike bag as possible. I flew to Whistler twice with my Evoc on United and both times the person at the baggage check just charged me the $35 checked bag fee, saying that it was more effort to charge for an oversize/overweight bag, and it was no skin off her back if she gave it to me for the standard price. I've had friends who've had similar experiences, although it might be a different story if you were flying somewhere further than to Whistler from California. Another upside of the Evoc is that it's totally soft when you take the braces out, and I'm storing mine wrapped up in my garage. Wrapped up the bag is no more than a foot tall (30cm for all you metric people out there) and fits anywhere there's room lengthwise. It's a great travel companion and I'd highly recommend it tup

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2016 at 20:30 Quote
(Apologies for resurrecting a thread, but it seemed like the best place to ask...)

Folks that have flown with a DH bike in a bag (Evoc or Dakine or whatever) - did you have to remove the fork from the frame to get the bike to fit vertically?

My fork (Totem) is a few cm taller than the internal dimensions of the bike bags I have looked at online. I'd rather not take the fork off, because then I'd have a 20 pound fork I'd have to secure inside the bag. Big Grin

I could compress the fork a few inches and secure it with straps, but I have never seen this mentioned when people talk about using these bags.

What if anything did you have to do to get your DH fork to fit?

Thanks in advance...

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2016 at 21:00 Quote
fgiraffe wrote:
(Apologies for resurrecting a thread, but it seemed like the best place to ask...)

Folks that have flown with a DH bike in a bag (Evoc or Dakine or whatever) - did you have to remove the fork from the frame to get the bike to fit vertically?

My fork (Totem) is a few cm taller than the internal dimensions of the bike bags I have looked at online. I'd rather not take the fork off, because then I'd have a 20 pound fork I'd have to secure inside the bag. Big Grin

I could compress the fork a few inches and secure it with straps, but I have never seen this mentioned when people talk about using these bags.

What if anything did you have to do to get your DH fork to fit?

Thanks in advance...

I've flown with a Boxxer in my Evoc bag and it fit easily...how long is the steerer on your Totem? If it's a Solo Air / DPA I would just let some air out of it. If it's coil you could likely compress it using straps like you said...I wouldn't worry about it and just get the bag. Keep in mind the internal height is it's vertical height but the fork actually sits at an angle (whatever your head tube angle is) and thus the hypotenuse of the "triangle" formed by bag, fork and ground becomes longer. So it's possible that the fork would actually fit at the angle it rides at. I've seen people put XL V10s in Evoc bags without fit issues. The Evoc is also the biggest one out there (save maybe the new Dakine, I've never seen it in the flesh) so I would get the Evoc or new Dakine one. If those don't fit it you're SOL and might need to take the fork off, but I bet it'll fit fine tup

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2016 at 21:54 Quote
chrisclifford wrote:
Keep in mind the internal height is it's vertical height but the fork actually sits at an angle (whatever your head tube angle is) and thus the hypotenuse of the "triangle" formed by bag, fork and ground becomes longer.

Someone my geometry teacher is shaking his head in dismay...

Exactly, I forgot about the angle of the headset effectively "shortening" the height of the fork.

Thank you, I'm gonna go refresh my vector rotation maths.... Book

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2016 at 22:13 Quote
fgiraffe wrote:
chrisclifford wrote:
Keep in mind the internal height is it's vertical height but the fork actually sits at an angle (whatever your head tube angle is) and thus the hypotenuse of the "triangle" formed by bag, fork and ground becomes longer.

Someone my geometry teacher is shaking his head in dismay...

Exactly, I forgot about the angle of the headset effectively "shortening" the height of the fork.

Thank you, I'm gonna go refresh my vector rotation maths.... Book

Haha no problem...let us know when you get the bag!

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 at 17:52 Quote
I would really appreciate anybody's help with this...

I need to pack my Radon Swoop DH bike - size L. The bike's wheelbase is 1262 - fairly long.

Will I be able to safely pack this bike in an Evoc bike bag? I've read somewhere that the max. wheelbase is around 1220 mm, however, EVOC claims that all DH bikes fit in...
Or this way...are you able to pack your long-wheelbase DH bikes in this bag?
If not, which other bag would you recommend?

Thanks guys.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009620
Mobile Version of Website