Powered by Outside

Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?
Posted: Aug 26, 2016 at 10:19 Quote
Neither of the two OEM's you list are first tier manufacturers.

Posted: Oct 3, 2016 at 2:19 Quote
Huismans wrote:
Is there anyone come back with 2+ years experience with these rims?

Have 2 sets of LBs (35 and 3Cool , 38 is park use, 35 for trail....
Not a single issue for 18 month....
Well worth it if you run proper tire and proper pressure.....

Posted: Oct 3, 2016 at 3:21 Quote
Huismans wrote:
Is there anyone come back with 2+ years experience with these rims?

I've had a set of the DH 38mm ones for about 18 months now with no problems, built them onto hope pro2 evos with sapim race spokes and they're rock solid.

Posted: Oct 4, 2016 at 9:24 Quote
I have almost 3 years and 3900 miles on a set and they're still going strong. The key is a good wheel builder using quality spokes and nipples. I have Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Sapim Polyax nipples, I also made a point to run brass nipps on the drive side rear and I have 32 spokes front and rear in 3 cross.

Posted: Oct 5, 2016 at 11:47 Quote
I've been running the 27mm int width ones for more than 2 years, they're bomber, homebuilt with cx ray and polyax nips

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 8:25 Quote
Huismans wrote:
I'm looking for a set of road bike rims, mainly ride on the flat, what's the main issue I should concern about?
Regularly clean your pads and brake track with alcohol to make them last.

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 8:47 Quote
The trouble with carbon road rims is that if you pick anything up in the brake blocks then you are done.

I screwed a back wheel in just a single wet ride. Couple of bits of flint grit in the brake pad, boom, split rim after about 50 miles.

When Mavic Kysiriums are so light why bother.

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 11:32 Quote
I'd avoid carbon road rims unless you're on disc brakes

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 18:00 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
Bontrager Aoelus wheels seem to hold up just fine.

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 21:52 Quote
Huismans wrote:
It looks the major issue on the carbon road rim is the brakes, so if I go with disc brake, it will last?
Disc will last longer due to the lack of a rim brake system but the majority of decent manufacturers work fine in most conditions. Look at CX bikes, many use canti style rim brakes on CF rims and they last for quite a while.

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 1:56 Quote
sbrdude1 wrote:
DC1988 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are many good carbon rim brake wheels but I don't think the positives outweigh the negatives especially given they are essentially a consumable part.

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 7:50 Quote
I work for a bike manufacturer, we must own-brand at least a dozen different carbon rims, from China HK and closer to home. I wouldn't use any carbon wheel for my daily drivers in the Peak District, nor would I use Zipp, Enve or anything else. One good bit of hard grit in your pads and you are done.

carbon disc brake wheels however, I'm all over that.

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 9:32 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
sbrdude1 wrote:
DC1988 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are many good carbon rim brake wheels but I don't think the positives outweigh the negatives especially given they are essentially a consumable part.
I work at a bike shop and have only see one wheel set that had to be replaced due to rim wear. This was a 7 year old set of Bontrager xxx race lites. They had over 10,000 miles on them.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 3:08 Quote
sbrdude1 wrote:
DC1988 wrote:
sbrdude1 wrote:

I work at a bike shop and have only see one wheel set that had to be replaced due to rim wear. This was a 7 year old set of Bontrager xxx race lites. They had over 10,000 miles on them.
Rims don't last that long when it's wet and gritty

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 14:47 Quote
Clean your pads and rims.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013462
Mobile Version of Website