Posted: May 21, 2012 at 10:16 Quote
Hey guys,
i want to get a "do it all" bike for me, so that means:
-decent climbing
-good descending
-jumps
-drops
-between 160mm and 170mm rear travel
-front fork will eventually be air and ability to travel down for climbing (e.g. lyric dual piston air)
-rear shock will eventually be air and different compression settings (e.g. FOX RP23)

i race downhill so its gonna be my bike i will mainly use on trails as long as the trail is not TOO technical and when i am not riding in a bike park. (i am a light weight rider so i am not worried of breaking it)

the frame of my choice is a Rocky Mountain Slayer, and i work in a bike shop so i have the skill of building a bike from scratch and the tools.

as this would be my first bike build for myself, i was wondering what the best and least pricey method of doing so:

1. getting all the parts i want over a period of time and build the bike when i got everything?
2. buying a similar type of bike with mainly different parts, so i will change(buy) parts over time and sell the previously used parts.
3. buying the slayer in its most simplest version and change (buy) parts over time and selling the previous used ones?

please let me know about your opinion and experiences.

Thanks!

Posted: May 21, 2012 at 10:29 Quote
Get fixed travel forks if you are getting air springs they perform better than travel adjustable ones.

My first build I bought frame fork and wheels with the best intentions to build over time but got pissed off so bought it all a week later. I would suggest getting it all at once if you are as impatient as me.

If you shop around you will be able to get a very good deal on components, but building your own is never going to be the cheapest option.

FL
Posted: May 21, 2012 at 12:47 Quote
jewsef wrote:
Get fixed travel forks if you are getting air springs they perform better than travel adjustable ones.

My first build I bought frame fork and wheels with the best intentions to build over time but got pissed off so bought it all a week later. I would suggest getting it all at once if you are as impatient as me.

If you shop around you will be able to get a very good deal on components, but building your own is never going to be the cheapest option.

my shop is quite small so the deals are good but no where near as cheep as big shops or bike manufactures.
i normally buy bikes secondhand but there is no slayer being sold in germany at the moment, nor is the fork i want (Xfusion Vengence HLR DLA)
i also need the travel adjustment because of the climbing and doing some XC tours with the bike as i help out and guide a MTB group in my local area.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005783
Mobile Version of Website