New to trials

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2012 at 10:33 Quote
hi i am looking into getting into trials biking . but not sure if i will be any good. so i dont want to spend tomuch on a bike just yet . i have found an onza t bird in practicly mint condition for 50quid (is this a good price for the bike)

cheers

Posted: Jul 1, 2012 at 10:12 Quote
Ye that is a very good price for a 1st bike .

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2012 at 22:01 Quote
Worth it!! And at the beginning the bike you ride can make a huge difference. When I switched to a mod from a dj bike, my side hops increased by a whole foot!

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 at 13:17 Quote
hi, i'm a downhiller and im been wandering about buy a trials bike but i know nothing unless they have a engin, and im 6ft 1" so what size frame do i want and whats a good first buy bike?

Posted: Jul 6, 2012 at 1:11 Quote
kingharry wrote:
hi, i'm a downhiller and im been wandering about buy a trials bike but i know nothing unless they have a engin, and im 6ft 1" so what size frame do i want and whats a good first buy bike?

Being quite tall how you are and coming from a downhill background your best off getting a 26" trials bike, also the wheel size will suit you more since your used to 26" wheels. For a first bike your better off getting a good second hand bike because if you buy a new one thats not as good spec your soon going to get fed up of it after you started learning some stuff because the parts wont be up to the job, definitely go try look for a good second hand one. tup

Posted: Jul 10, 2012 at 5:15 Quote
you get what you pay for in trials, but riding DH that shouldn't be news to you, fortunately we don't need suspension or frames with moving parts, so good gear is relatively cheap...

you are likely to find it easy to pick up a 26" but since trials bikes are nothing like a regular bike it'll still feel weird as f*ck, 20" bikes are easier to learn on cause you can manipulate them easily, but larger wheels can invoke confidence and help your long term improvement...

when you look to buy a trials bike theres a few things that are always useful to have:

good brakes
good freewheel/hub
isis cranks
sealed bearings

the brakes are a no brainer but be critical about what good is, i'm a big guy so my expectations are usually greater than most... and knowing your bike won't slip out under you, or slide back down a wall through the wheel spinning against your will is a bummer... and a brake slip can really nock your confidence...

the freewheel/freehub is more crucial in trials than other disciplines as we use such a low ratio you really do feel every click... modern trials freewheels offer between 60 and 100+ engagement points, they are fantastic and have improved trials so much...

trials uses mostly isis crank interface, but some cheaper bikes use square taper, taper cranks are more prone to rounding and the axle itself is pretty weak... isis has none of these issues and you should seek it out...

look for a bike with sealed bearings, i know its common sense but trials gear lasts forever, and the only things i've frequently seen fail are unsealed rear hubs, the rest is just a bonus...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011571
Mobile Version of Website