Do-It-All Hardtail Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do-It-All Hardtail Thread
Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 0:35 Quote
Fluidworks wrote:
Looking to go back to a HT after years of FS, and definitely am looking for an aggressive bike.

Narrowed it down to Chromag Rootdown and the new Bird Zero AM boost. Thoughts? The Bird will be a couple hundred less, but won't have LBS support.

I'd be happy with either
flip a coin?

also a benefit of a HT is its simplicity which off sets the need for local support vs a FS

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 7:14 Quote
Remove BB, Dump WD40 in the seat tube, let sit for 24 hours... hope for the best!!!

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 9:25 Quote
i ride a 2011 cannondale sl3 trail with a coil fork. I use it for trail as well as jumps and occasional DH Im looking for a good hardtail for that. Ive looked at santa cruz chamelon what else it a good complete for under 2000

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 10:58 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
Remove BB, Dump WD40 in the seat tube, let sit for 24 hours... hope for the best!!!
I took the bb out but there’s no hole into the seat tube. Ugh!

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 10:59 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
Numnum2000 wrote:
Does anyone have experience getting a seized dropper post out of a steel frame? There was some carbon grip paste (from previous issues) left in my frame when i put the dropper in... I've tried basic WD40 an will be trying Coke tommorow. I realise this is probably the wrong thread but i'm subbed and there's a lot of steel and dropper posts on here!

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
Cheers!

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 13:07 Quote
wrote:
Awesome! I was just a couple of weeks late in order8ng a Frame and now have to wait till Feb! Did a demo with Sam and loved the helm forks. Can’t wait till Feb, might even race it next year!

Quote="Plodocus"]My new Cotic BFe 27.5 in Medium size. Bought as frame only and built up from parts I already had. Not ridden in anger yet - wanted to get these pics first, but looks like it's gonna be tons of fun here in the UK.

-Stans Flow rims on Hope Pro 4 hubs (red was what I had, might change to black at some point)
-Rockshox Pike 160mm (might drop to 140)
-Sram XO/X1 drivetrain
-Guide brakes
-Reverb stealth post
-Renthal Carbon bars
-Hope BB/Headset
-Pedals/Seatclamp
-Fabric Saddle
-MRP chainguide/bashguard
-Schwalbe MM/HD rubber running tubeless

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:36 Quote
MattMan426 wrote:
i ride a 2011 cannondale sl3 trail with a coil fork. I use it for trail as well as jumps and occasional DH Im looking for a good hardtail for that. Ive looked at santa cruz chamelon what else it a good complete for under 2000

I'd be happy with a chamelon.
i'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions, steel is in vogue currently, but can be $$ and/or heavier than Al.

Just be careful you don't slip down the rabbit whole - material, geo, reputation, cost, local support, colours, etc... particularly if you have cash and everything else to pull the trigger. unless you really know your stuff you may not appreciate the sometimes subtle differences between options and tbh anything will be a not insignificant improvement over the cannondale.

i guess i'm saying the santa cruz will put a smile on your dial so don't let too much um'ing and ah'ing rob you of time you could be out there getting acquainted with your new sweet ride tup

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:05 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
MattMan426 wrote:

I'd be happy with a chamelon.
i'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions, steel is in vogue currently, but can be $$ and/or heavier than Al.

Just be careful you don't slip down the rabbit whole - material, geo, reputation, cost, local support, colours, etc... particularly if you have cash and everything else to pull the trigger. unless you really know your stuff you may not appreciate the sometimes subtle differences between options and tbh anything will be a not insignificant improvement over the cannondale.

i guess i'm saying the santa cruz will put a smile on your dial so don't let too much um'ing and ah'ing rob you of time you could be out there getting acquainted with your new sweet ride tup

How dare you bring logic to the party!!! Lol... I totally agree with you. Ride what you want and have a blast doing it!

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:48 Quote
Some very nice bikes in this thread. Keep them coming!

Posted: Dec 8, 2017 at 12:03 Quote
JasonGoss wrote:
Evil-P wrote:
my 2017 bike for the danish woods

Nukeproof scout 275 with Rock Lyrik 160mm charger1 and 150mm Reverb, XX1 Eagle krank, X01 drivechain, Schwalbe magic mary/rock razor Addix, Hope Tech3 E4 brake, X0 hubs, KMC DLC chain, Sella Italia SLR Seat, Enve DH bar..................

Nukeproof scout 275 with Rock Lyrik 160mm charger1 and 150mm Reverb XX1 Eagle krank X01 drivechain Schwalbe magic mary rock razor Addix Hope Tech3 E4 brake X0 hubs KMC DLC chain Sella Italia SLR Seat Enve DH bar..................

Nukeproof scout 275 with Rock Lyrik 160mm charger1 and 150mm Reverb XX1 Eagle krank X01 drivechain Schwalbe magic mary rock razor Addix Hope Tech3 E4 brake X0 hubs KMC DLC chain Sella Italia SLR Seat Enve DH bar..................

Yeah, that did it for me... I'm building one of these! Steller!

What size tires you have squeezed on there?

I have 2.35 front and rear, also I got the new boost Lyrik now and Eagle drive train

Posted: Dec 8, 2017 at 12:22 Quote
Plodocus wrote:
My new Cotic BFe 27.5 in Medium size. Bought as frame only and built up from parts I already had. Not ridden in anger yet - wanted to get these pics first, but looks like it's gonna be tons of fun here in the UK.

-Stans Flow rims on Hope Pro 4 hubs (red was what I had, might change to black at some point)
-Rockshox Pike 160mm (might drop to 140)
-Sram XO/X1 drivetrain
-Guide brakes
-Reverb stealth post
-Renthal Carbon bars
-Hope BB/Headset
-Pedals/Seatclamp
-Fabric Saddle
-MRP chainguide/bashguard
-Schwalbe MM/HD rubber running tubeless

That is one nice HT...and i wouldn't drop the fork travel...looks mean like that and I'm sure it still climbs well and if anything, maybe run it with less pressure and more volume spacers. Something really nice with that classic, no-fuss, simple HT frame design...
Looking forward to build my Kingdom Vendetta X2 frame soon...

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 14:44 Quote
Still getting used to the new bike. Need to play a bit with tire pressure. Also going to change stem/bar form 35mm to 31.8mm as I think 35mm is too stiff.

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 16:05 Quote
Sick looking Bird though. ^

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 21:32 Quote
Barnseyhcxc wrote:
Right so as I'm in the process of building a do-it-all hardtail I thought I would start up a dedicated thread for this type of bike. Ask questions, post reviews and chat about do-it-all bikes.

I'll start by saying I think the Cotic BFe is up there with the best and will be my bike of choice.

Go!

I got a Commencal Meta HT Chromoly, and I do absolutely everything on it.
I am on a xc team so I go on long xc rides, and then head up to the bike parks and hit all the biggest runs on it.
I also ride at the dj parks, and I even ride some street.
It handles it and I like having that one bike that does everything.
I looked for a long time for a do-it-all hardtail, and I think the Commencal is your best bet, and it's priced pretty well.
Just stay away from aluminum frames if you can, Chromoly makes all the difference!

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 27,5" hardtail with a decent tire clearance. Thinking of putting together a do-it-all bike and would like some more cushion since I am used to FS.
Preferably 2.6 tires.

Any ideas?
Nukeproof Scout ?

Thanks a ton !

Cheers

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031216
Mobile Version of Website