Do-It-All Hardtail Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do-It-All Hardtail Thread
Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 16:41 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
i have 140mm HT and use it for riding to work most days. it does chew thru tires faster but the travel money saved pays for new treads every month - plus the other benefits of fitness, mental well being, no traffic, its faster than the bus if not faster than other chaps racing by on proper commuter and road bikes, etc. get a good chain solution with the travel money saved. (i kno this may be a diff situation as a student)

I can't recommend a good "do it all HT" enough. but I really think its the progressive designs from the last 3-5 years have really resulted in something special - ride all day, snap thru corners and descend with composure. I know I wont be wanting to upgrade my HT for several years, I'll be happy if I never did. I see some HT "keepers" from 10yrs ago and tbh they're not all that different from HT from 10yr prior to that - apart from brakes, gears, axles, but the geo and XC riding intent was the same - again that avoidance of the more aggressive all-mountant/enduro domain.

that's my 2c

That a good bit of advice. I might save to get a used 2013-2014 Diamondback mason 29er hardtail. Aggressive geo, 29er, 140mm fork and 1x10 gears. It seems like everything I am looking for and maybe more

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 17:15 Quote
Swamp-nut wrote:
[

I live in northern Florida in Gainesville, about 45miutes north of santos trails. My main riding will be in Florida but I do plan on traveling the country to hit some different trails. What I wanted was a 140mm hardtail it seemed to be the best compromise, especially using it to commute around university as well. The 05-06 specialized enduro catches my eye but it seems like too much bike for me

I actually just moved from Gainesville and built up a Stanton Switchback with a 145mm fork (just sold) specifically for when I rode Santos and other FL areas. It was a very good bike for all that Santos has to offer except the two higher levels of drops (there are three sets in the freeride area, one with two smallish drops (around 5'), two sets of taller ones, and one ridiculous one with a skinny runup that is is always blocked off.) I did the park up to the 5' drops on the HT. It let me ride the XC type terrain without feeling overbiked and handled the technical stuff well.

Bike was pretty quick, handled cornered excellently, was a blast on jumps, and managed drops without much difficulty. I took it to Pisgah region, though, and I realized the limitations of the bike pretty quick. I could do all the same trails, but when I got up to normal speed (the speed I took them on my 11.6 Evil Insurgent), it turned pretty sketchy. With that being said, the same trails were fun at a slower speed, though.

I'd def. recommend an aggressive HT for someone on a budget riding the areas you will be, as they are the same areas I rode and it did well. As the person before me said, though, the HT from the last 5 years or so are a lot different than from a decade ago. Saving a little an extending your price range to afford an entry level, new geometry bike that will be worth upgrading along the way would be my rec.

OR, I could give you a ridiculous deal on my spare bike as a fellow Floridian and knowing you are on a budget. The wheelset from 5 years ago when I built it cost almost double what I'd give you the whole bike for. It's what my lady friend rode around with me until I built her a Transition Scout (Santos, Hammock, GA, NC). I haven't posted it and likely won't, so just PM me if you are interested.

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 21:05 Quote
I just picked up a Santa Cruz Highball 29 aluminum, anyone have a suggestion for a fork ?

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 23:12 Quote
I would do a 120mm fork on it rake it out a bit.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 12:13 Quote
Hi guys, I'm thinking of building up a hardtail and would like some frame recommendations. I want this bike to be able to commute, jib around in the street, ride a bit of park and of course, be good on the trail for when I want something a bit more raw than my full squish. My requirements are 27.5 wheels, 120-130mm fork, aluminium, able to be set up single speed and ~$500 price or less. I see so many sweet bikes here and I think it's time to get one for myself. Thanks!

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 13:14 Quote
aerosxl wrote:
Hi guys, I'm thinking of building up a hardtail and would like some frame recommendations. I want this bike to be able to commute, jib around in the street, ride a bit of park and of course, be good on the trail for when I want something a bit more raw than my full squish. My requirements are 27.5 wheels, 120-130mm fork, aluminium, able to be set up single speed and ~$500 price or less. I see so many sweet bikes here and I think it's time to get one for myself. Thanks!
Looking for just the frame or a complete bike?

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 13:42 Quote
aerosxl wrote:

I may be down to part with my NS Surge Evo. https://www.pinkbike.com/u/cmc4130/album/NS-Surge-Evo/

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
aerosxl wrote:

If only Al Gore would have finished that interweb thing this would have been an easy task. Madder

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 18:35 Quote
Swamp-nut wrote:
aerosxl wrote:
Looking for just the frame or a complete bike?

Just the frame, I'm looking to do a custom build from parts.

slope wrote:
If only Al Gore would have finished that interweb thing this would have been an easy task. Madder

I'm not saying I haven't found some options by myself, but there are a lot of small hardtail frame makers, and you know he never got around to adding personal recommendations and testimonies to websites of bike companies, unfortunately. That's a world I'd love to live in

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 19:04 Quote
Wait....you want more Al Gore?? Eek

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 19:04 Quote
Most of the nice 27.5 trail oriented frames are designed for 140mm forks or bigger, The S/C chameleon is designed around a 120mm fork,, and alloy but probably over 500.00, . not sure if it is ss capable, NS has some 130mm hardtail options as well.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 19:22 Quote
slope wrote:
Wait....you want more Al Gore?? Eek

To be fair, as a young lad, Al Gore is waaaayyyy before my time. All I can do is comment on the stuff he apparently neglected to include as features on this "internet" thing

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 4:50 Quote
aerosxl wrote:

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I am after. So keen to hear how you get on. At the moment I'm getting most luck looking at British brands, such as Cotic and Bird.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 8:09 Quote
What material are you looking for?

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 8:20 Quote
arnie86 wrote:
What material are you looking for?

I'd prefer aluminium, but steel would be ok too

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016672
Mobile Version of Website