Do-It-All Hardtail Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do-It-All Hardtail Thread
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 5:40 Quote
Posted this in the 27.5 subforum, but it doesn't seem to get many views. Maybe y'all would have more input?

Hi guys,

First post here. I'm in the market for a new Hard Tail. I used to have a Kona Unit but it got stolen unfortunately in Austin. I live in South Texas, and our local trail is pretty lame tbh, but it's better than nothing. I intend to travel around Texas when I get the opportunities, though.

I want to get a hard tail around the 2,000 mark. I'm looking for something fun and jumpable, that feels more BMXish rather than XC, and all the bikes that I've been looking at (Commencal HT, Whyte, Chromag Stylus) all seem like they'd be nice to have, but the travel they offer seems way overboard for the trails I'd be riding regularly.

Anyone have a recommendation? Was looking at the Esker Hayduke recently as well as the Guerilla Gravity Pedalsmasher.

Thank you for your input!

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 5:58 Quote
jkwan3 wrote:
Posted this in the 27.5 subforum, but it doesn't seem to get many views. Maybe y'all would have more input?

Hi guys,

First post here. I'm in the market for a new Hard Tail. I used to have a Kona Unit but it got stolen unfortunately in Austin. I live in South Texas, and our local trail is pretty lame tbh, but it's better than nothing. I intend to travel around Texas when I get the opportunities, though.

I want to get a hard tail around the 2,000 mark. I'm looking for something fun and jumpable, that feels more BMXish rather than XC, and all the bikes that I've been looking at (Commencal HT, Whyte, Chromag Stylus) all seem like they'd be nice to have, but the travel they offer seems way overboard for the trails I'd be riding regularly.

Anyone have a recommendation? Was looking at the Esker Hayduke recently as well as the Guerilla Gravity Pedalsmasher.

dartmoor hornet

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 6:17 Quote
Nimble 9

jkwan3 wrote:

Hi guys,

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 6:19 Quote
Bird Zero TR (more trail'ish)
or
Bird Zero AM (more enduro'ish)

Ridden the AM for a couple of years from long backcountry rides to DH in park. That thing is just right........ mic drop

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 7:12 Quote
I rode 150 on a hardtail in Florida, major overkill and dropping down to 130 didn't really change how it pedals, mostly hta which wasn't a problem at 150 tbh. I only dropped it because of the steep compressions that would almost bottom out the fork, then send you back up hill again. The HTA change felt really squirly. But I think that's unique to the Florida trails I was riding...

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 7:48 Quote
What frame material are you looking for?

Cotic Bfe might be a good option. Or Ragley piglet.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 7:57 Quote
Just get a Kona Honzo and be done with it... great price point with solid components. Having ridden in Texas, the honzo and any similar bike would be ideal there. The 29 wheels play nice with your XC needs and the playful geo provides the fun.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 9:10 Quote
Hmm thank you for all the suggestions. Has anyone heard much talk about this bike? https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2019-mountain-hardtail-trail-27.5-san-quentin-3

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 9:47 Quote
jkwan3 wrote:
Hmm thank you for all the suggestions. Has anyone heard much talk about this bike? https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2019-mountain-hardtail-trail-27.5-san-quentin-3

this one gets my vote. it's on my shortlist for new hardtails.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 11:14 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
I rode 150 on a hardtail in Florida, major overkill and dropping down to 130 didn't really change how it pedals, mostly hta which wasn't a problem at 150 tbh. I only dropped it because of the steep compressions that would almost bottom out the fork, then send you back up hill again. The HTA change felt really squirly. But I think that's unique to the Florida trails I was riding...

Have several rides in now following the Push ACS3 conversion and I can assure you the travel isn’t the issue. The original Fox factory setup was better suited for a pogo stick. So I can relate.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 11:31 Quote
I like my 160mm hardtail a bunch, especially with 8,000' vertical in my front yard.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 12:35 Quote
slaker wrote:
I like my 160mm hardtail a bunch, especially with 8,000' vertical in my front yard.
now you're just bragging.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 20:05 Quote
jkwan3 wrote:

Hey man read some of the posts. Props for keeping in real - hard tails are definitely the way to go. Check out CHUMBA USA Rastro and the Stella. They make top notch Made in the USA steel and Ti frames.

If you are psyched on longer travel hard tails the CHUMBA USA Rastro is playful and bombproof and built for 140-150mm travel. Slightly less slack than the Marin you mentioned. I have one the one on the website with the massive fork. I would say that bike is overkill for most of Texas. Putting140mm travel would be nice a

I know people have built the Stella, which is an XC bike built for 100-120mm, with 120mm of travel and a dropper and they seem to have fun with it! Not a great bike park bike by any means but sure is a great all around hardtail. https://www.chumbausa.com/stella-1/

Posted: Sep 22, 2018 at 17:10 Quote
Just ordered the San Quentin 3, hope to have it in a week or so. I’ll report back once I have logged some seat time on it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011932
Mobile Version of Website