Do-It-All Hardtail Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do-It-All Hardtail Thread
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 0:56 Quote
elyari wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
elyari wrote:
From Dublin, Ireland, brand new Commencal Meta HT Race size XL (6'3"), it's the top model for this one. 65 head angle, 29 wheels, Lyrik RC 150, SRAM NX (asked to change 32 front ring for a 34). So far so good, climbing is a rocket compared to my full sus. Down, I'm even doing better times on the more physical sections, each pedal is like a slingshot, almost feels like cheating.[/PI]
very nice!

Can I ask what your inspiration was to buy this bike? Did you replace another hardtail? Or to supplement your full suspension bike?

I keep thinking about one, to go along side my Rocky Mountain Altitude, but I just cant image picking up the hardtail over the full sus.... but then I haven't tasted the delights of a good hardtail for about 15 years!!!

Well, others already more or less answered. I recently moved from Malaga, Spain, to Dublin, Ireland. In Malaga terrain is harsh, rocky, dusty, technical and gnarly in general. So a full susp makes sense there. But here the trails I have tried so far are far from rocky. Here roots, mud and constant wet terrain are my nightmares. In just 3 months I killed my bearings, I ride 4-5 times per week, about 2h after work (20-25km) and as much as possible on weekends, no matter the weather, if you have the right gear, rain and wind is not a big deal. So a HT makes sense, I'm improving my skills, don't have bearings to change each 3 months and, I should admit it, I'm having lot more fun as the HT makes you to be more focused, there's no suspension to "flatten" the terrain, so you need to work harder, choose better lines, hope over obstacles, be more aware of what you are doing each second...and get more fit!

cheers for the in-depth answer.

Reading everyones comments is taking me closer to buying one!!

And just out of interest, why the Commencal? What else was on your wish list?

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 4:18 Quote
1+ for the FS collecting dust now (and not trail dust) since getting a good "modern" HT

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 4:36 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
1+ for the FS collecting dust now (and not trail dust) since getting a good "modern" HT

interesting!

I have just been drooling over the Kingdom Vendetta.... what a bit of kit! shame about the price (to be expected tho!)

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 5:41 Quote
My do-it-all hardtail is a bit unconventional. I sourced a new fork and wheelset for my Surly Ice Cream Truck:

photo
Untitled by ch0ng, on Flickr

The fork is a Marzocchi 44 Micro Switch TA. In the 110mm mode the head tube angle on the bike is pretty close to stock and quite good on the local XC trails. In the 140mm mode the head tube slacks right out (to like 64* or something) which makes it really fun on the shuttles up in Copper Harbor. Not shown in that picture is the Fox Transfer seat post.

Unfortunately you can't get parts for that fork anymore so I've had to buy a replacement. The replacement is a DVO Sapphire configured at 120mm of travel. Should be fun on The Crusher.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

interesting!

I have just been drooling over the Kingdom Vendetta.... what a bit of kit! shame about the price (to be expected tho!)

I can also vouch that a vendetta is a wonderful bike. I’ve had mine since October and still loving it.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 17:27 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
elyari wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

very nice!

Can I ask what your inspiration was to buy this bike? Did you replace another hardtail? Or to supplement your full suspension bike?

I keep thinking about one, to go along side my Rocky Mountain Altitude, but I just cant image picking up the hardtail over the full sus.... but then I haven't tasted the delights of a good hardtail for about 15 years!!!

Well, others already more or less answered. I recently moved from Malaga, Spain, to Dublin, Ireland. In Malaga terrain is harsh, rocky, dusty, technical and gnarly in general. So a full susp makes sense there. But here the trails I have tried so far are far from rocky. Here roots, mud and constant wet terrain are my nightmares. In just 3 months I killed my bearings, I ride 4-5 times per week, about 2h after work (20-25km) and as much as possible on weekends, no matter the weather, if you have the right gear, rain and wind is not a big deal. So a HT makes sense, I'm improving my skills, don't have bearings to change each 3 months and, I should admit it, I'm having lot more fun as the HT makes you to be more focused, there's no suspension to "flatten" the terrain, so you need to work harder, choose better lines, hope over obstacles, be more aware of what you are doing each second...and get more fit!

cheers for the in-depth answer.

Reading everyones comments is taking me closer to buying one!!

And just out of interest, why the Commencal? What else was on your wish list?

Well, first of all, I was looking for a 29, I'm 6.4" and having tried several 29ers I was completely sure is the size to go for me. Head angle 65-66 for sure. Pole Taival was number one, new 29 Orange Crush , Stanton Switch9er, Nordest Bardino (when they launched the frame 2 years ago, I had one bike for test and write review on my blog). But at same time, here in Ireland there is a plan from the government to increase bike usage, Bike2Work is called, and you can get up to 1000€ before taxes. So I was restricted to buy here with a local provider or shop. That way options where restricted. And from all them Commencal was the one I had closer, so Commencal it was. There are more options, Vendetta, OnOne, Riggley, but they are way off the price I was willing to pay.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 12:52 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

interesting!

Mate...the X2’s are a bargain for a titanium frame and such sorted geometry, developed over 10 years, not just in the past trendy hardcore-HT’s! I really love mine...and you get THE best customer service!

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 20:42 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

interesting!

Mate...the X2’s are a bargain for a titanium frame and such sorted geometry, developed over 10 years, not just in the past trendy hardcore-HT’s! I really love mine...and you get THE best customer service!
I f I were in the market for a new titanium HT the X2 would be my first choice, My ti mk2 Switchback is still working for me now.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 1:53 Quote
So this thread has got my juices flowing... then the inevitable happened, I picked up my Rocky Mountain to go for a ride with my buddies and bam, my clutch had seized in my mech. So no ride as I took a while to strip it and clean it.

The first thing that popped into my head.... if I had a hardtail, I could have taken that instead!

So, with that in mind, if I had say £1500-£2000 to spend on a hardtail for general trail/enduro riding, what would you go for? And should I stick with 27.5 like my RM or go for a 29er?

thanks in advance!

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 3:12 Quote
i'd put my money on a fun 27.5. (a UK speciality) and its handy knowing tires are cross compatible, or even wheels and the fork if need be

saying that there's a bit for you to consider
- think about the type of riding you usually do or can easily do if you want more of it, i.e. don't get a super aggressive brute for those 2 rides a year when everything else is mostly 25mile XC epics
- also if its too similar in capability to your RM, you could find yourself just using/needing one of them
- what's your height and weight? if long and lanky - 29er makes some sense. 27.5 wheels will be tougher everything else being the same, so that would favour a heavier or more aggressive rider

figuring out a good HT is half the fun, well part of the fun, most of it actually to you finally get it - all the best! keep us in the loop

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
So this thread has got my juices flowing... then the inevitable happened, I picked up my Rocky Mountain to go for a ride with my buddies and bam, my clutch had seized in my mech. So no ride as I took a while to strip it and clean it.

The first thing that popped into my head.... if I had a hardtail, I could have taken that instead!

So, with that in mind, if I had say £1500-£2000 to spend on a hardtail for general trail/enduro riding, what would you go for? And should I stick with 27.5 like my RM or go for a 29er?

thanks in advance!

Sounds like a good plan to me!

I prefer not to have a direct replacement, my HT is set up for urban/pumptrack/trail, rather than trail/bike park like my full suss.

Bikes worth looking at are Marin San Quentin, Orange (Crush/Clockwork) or Bird Zero.

As per the previous post I like to have the same wheel size and forks so I can swap bits between the bikes if both are broken.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
I would go for a steel frame if it was me, much less harsh riding characteristics than alloy. I'm over 6' and I'm loving the way 29ers ride. It might be worth asking for advice on the Aggressive Hardtail thread as well as here.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=112056&pagenum=1382

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
Managed to tear a couple of small rips in my rear tyre and unfortunately one is right next to the bead which I doubt I dare trust with a repair.

So now it looks like new tyre time. Currently running 2.3 high rollers front and rear and use the bike as my winter trail bike for trail centres and Peak District riding.

Do I go for another high roller ? (Only issue is my mild ocd will not like this due to mine having the white Maxxis logo so they will be odd”

Or go for some skinwall DHF’s in 2.3? Think this would look cool and a bit retro ish.

Or go for a DHF in 2.5 width?

photo

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
2.5 dhf all the way. Mates got one and a dhr. Mega impressed with the grip!!

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
Skin walls look just about acceptable in a retro way when new, once you hit the dirt they look shit. Good reason skin wall got abandoned in 2003 ish.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014920
Mobile Version of Website