Do-It-All Hardtail Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do-It-All Hardtail Thread
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
Good point about the look once they are dirty. Bearing in mind this bike gets very dirty it’s probably a bad choice.

I’ve read DHF front and rear works well as DHR are a bit draggy? I sometimes use the bike to ride on roads to get to trails so that’s a consideration.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 12:54 Quote
Last time I rode with my mate we did a few miles on the road. Didn't seem too draggy. Could always run more pressure for Tarmac and let it out on the dirt...

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
DHF skinwall, don't ride bike, don't get them dirty, win at ePeen points?
I just run over the sidewalls with the brush when I wash the bike and they look ok still, but all tyres get muddy quickly in the UK so a bit of staining doesn't matter much. Personally love the skinwall / raw ti combo (running DHFs on my Kingdom) but not everyone is keen on the buttwalls Wink

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
D8mok wrote:
Good point about the look once they are dirty. Bearing in mind this bike gets very dirty it’s probably a bad choice.

I’ve read DHF front and rear works well as DHR are a bit draggy? I sometimes use the bike to ride on roads to get to trails so that’s a consideration.
I don't notice the drag at all when Im' on steep loose gnar.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
D8mok wrote:

I'd get a DHF for the front and use the HR2 out back. When the HR2 is warn, buy another or a DHR2/Aggressor. I'd suggest other brands but you mentioned OCD...

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 0:07 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
DHF skinwall, don't ride bike, don't get them dirty, win at ePeen points?
I just run over the sidewalls with the brush when I wash the bike and they look ok still, but all tyres get muddy quickly in the UK so a bit of staining doesn't matter much. Personally love the skinwall / raw ti combo (running DHFs on my Kingdom) but not everyone is keen on the buttwalls Wink

Any pics? I’ve got skin walls on my 96 Zaskar but that lives a quiet life now.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 0:08 Quote
mooboyj wrote:
D8mok wrote:

I'd get a DHF for the front and use the HR2 out back. When the HR2 is warn, buy another or a DHR2/Aggressor. I'd suggest other brands but you mentioned OCD...

Yes I simply can’t mix tyre brands. Silly I know.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 0:23 Quote
You can easily mix Schwalbe and WTB as their logos are grey, almost invisible when you get them dirty.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 0:27 Quote
I’ve cureently got a pair of nearly new Hans Dampfs on my Evil insurgent and if I’m honest they are decent in dry dusty conditions but I’m not impressed in the wet mud of the uk. It’s a balance of finding something grippy but not draggy and is decent in all conditions but mostly wet as in dry I’ll be using my Evil

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 1:05 Quote
D8mok wrote:
Any pics? I’ve got skin walls on my 96 Zaskar but that lives a quiet life now.
Nothing very recent I'm afraid - think this was the day I fitted them: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq4xUARlkss/

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 1:08 Quote
That looks good ......

Reminds me off a 98 GT Xizang with smoke/darts in weird way

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 0:19 Quote
D8mok wrote:
Managed to tear a couple of small rips in my rear tyre and unfortunately one is right next to the bead which I doubt I dare trust with a repair.

So now it looks like new tyre time. Currently running 2.3 high rollers front and rear and use the bike as my winter trail bike for trail centres and Peak District riding.

Do I go for another high roller ? (Only issue is my mild ocd will not like this due to mine having the white Maxxis logo so they will be odd”

Or go for some skinwall DHF’s in 2.3? Think this would look cool and a bit retro ish.

Or go for a DHF in 2.5 width?

On my Vendetta I’m running 2.4 WT (rear) and 2.5 WT (front) and I think that is perfect. Also noticed that a 2.35 Magic Mary is the same width as the 2.5 WT Minion...(first time ever for me without a MM on the front of any of my bikes. I think HRII is ok, but not has good as a Minion for the Peaks. We should meet for a Vendetta ride soon btw...

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 1:18 Quote
A ride sounds good yeh. I’m Chesterfield based if that’s anywhere near you?

Still haven’t decided which to go for if I’m honest. Tempted by the dhf skin walls in 2.3 but also fancy going wider on the front too. The thing I like about the vendetta is that it’s so light and quick that it just kind of glides over everything and wonder if wider tyres kills that a little.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 1:56 Quote
D8mok wrote:
A ride sounds good yeh. I’m Chesterfield based if that’s anywhere near you?

Still haven’t decided which to go for if I’m honest. Tempted by the dhf skin walls in 2.3 but also fancy going wider on the front too. The thing I like about the vendetta is that it’s so light and quick that it just kind of glides over everything and wonder if wider tyres kills that a little.

If you drive to Sheffield I can show you some good spots! I’m also pretty sure you wouldn’t regret going a bit wider. The extra bounce on the V is superb and you can go faster, more comfort and grip.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 3:15 Quote
Yeh don’t mind driving at all. Now summer is nearly here I will drive upto 2 hours for decent riding spots.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020879
Mobile Version of Website