Do-It-All Hardtail Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do-It-All Hardtail Thread
Author Message
Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
I’ve pulled trigger on some 2.3 DHF’s in tanwall

Hopefully they look good and decided I was happy with width and didn’t want it to become to heavy feeling as this bike is used for lots of different types of riding

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 at 21:43 Quote
bigmaninjapan wrote:
My do-it-all hardtail is a bit unconventional. I sourced a new fork and wheelset for my Surly Ice Cream Truck:

Untitled by ch0ng, on Flickr

The fork is a Marzocchi 44 Micro Switch TA. In the 110mm mode the head tube angle on the bike is pretty close to stock and quite good on the local XC trails. In the 140mm mode the head tube slacks right out (to like 64* or something) which makes it really fun on the shuttles up in Copper Harbor. Not shown in that picture is the Fox Transfer seat post.

Unfortunately you can't get parts for that fork anymore so I've had to buy a replacement. The replacement is a DVO Sapphire configured at 120mm of travel. Should be fun on The Crusher.

I have the same bike

Https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb15983977/p3pb15983977.jpg

Used to be my daily driver. Have done the seven summits, north shore, squamish...you name it, on this rig. Great ride. This was my third one. 1st was camp stove green (lost a fight with a car), second one was skid mark brown and now blue.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
elyari wrote:
From Dublin, Ireland, brand new Commencal Meta HT Race size XL (6'3"), it's the top model for this one. 65 head angle, 29 wheels, Lyrik RC 150, SRAM NX (asked to change 32 front ring for a 34). So far so good, climbing is a rocket compared to my full sus. Down, I'm even doing better times on the more physical sections, each pedal is like a slingshot, almost feels like cheating.


Is that the KS E20 dropper post that came with it? I am looking at the Essential 2019 model and trying to find a decent/priced dropped to upgrade to.

Based on the price, $1600 for the Essential fits my budget and it seems like such a fun bike as my FS trail bike is a bit stale these days.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
serbdog wrote:
elyari wrote:
From Dublin, Ireland, brand new Commencal Meta HT Race size XL (6'3"), it's the top model for this one. 65 head angle, 29 wheels, Lyrik RC 150, SRAM NX (asked to change 32 front ring for a 34). So far so good, climbing is a rocket compared to my full sus. Down, I'm even doing better times on the more physical sections, each pedal is like a slingshot, almost feels like cheating.


Is that the KS E20 dropper post that came with it? I am looking at the Essential 2019 model and trying to find a decent/priced dropped to upgrade to.

Based on the price, $1600 for the Essential fits my budget and it seems like such a fun bike as my FS trail bike is a bit stale these days.

Oneup post apparently is great bang for your dollar. If and when my reverb fails, I’m going to get the oneup. Simple, cable actuated, adjustable travel. All things I like.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
my reverb failed, and i bought a oneup. No complaints at all

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 14:40 Quote
That OneUp looks great and REI sells them, just in time for member rewards Smile

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
Theocr wrote:
my reverb failed, and i bought a oneup. No complaints at all

I added a Oneup to my hardtail. 170mm drop and it's flawless. Not too sure why you would buy anything else these days for the price of them.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
Anyone have any long term experience on a one up with regards to durability and maintenance. All droppers seem good out of the box. The real test is how often you have to send them back for service and how expensive/involved that is.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
Bought a pnw bachelor on sale. Seems good, decent remote, 3 year warranty, variety or routing options on pnw's range.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 5:34 Quote
reedholden wrote:
Anyone have any long term experience on a one up with regards to durability and maintenance. All droppers seem good out of the box. The real test is how often you have to send them back for service and how expensive/involved that is.

Both the Fox Transfer and the Bike Yoke Revive have been reliable...the Revive you can dismantle it fully and service yourself easily which is a bonus...and it has the best lever.
A mate has the OneUp and after a few months had problems with it.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
What sort of problem? I've never heard of any with them yet.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
D8mok wrote:

Or go for a DHF in 2.5 width?


Yes, 2.5 DHF all the way. If your rims are wide enough (in the neighbourhood of 30mm inner), go for the Wide Trails. I've got those on my HT and FS trail bikes, and they are a game changer. I've always run Maxxis but usually 2.3-2.35. The volume of the 2.5 WT's make a huge difference.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
What sort of problem? I've never heard of any with them yet.

Just not coming up...and the collar going loose.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 14:48 Quote
serbdog wrote:
Is that the KS E20 dropper post that came with it? I am looking at the Essential 2019 model and trying to find a decent/priced dropped to upgrade to.

Based on the price, $1600 for the Essential fits my budget and it seems like such a fun bike as my FS trail bike is a bit stale these days.

Yes, the one that comes with the top model, the Race

Posted: Mar 30, 2019 at 5:52 Quote

Tyres finally fitted. Looks retro type cool


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018807
Mobile Version of Website