Do-It-All Hardtail Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do-It-All Hardtail Thread
Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 4:59 Quote
Thought I'd post my new bike in here after building it up a few weeks ago. We had a 3rd lockdown in January in the UK and after wanting a hardtail for the past few years but spending all my fun money on motorcycles it was a good opportunity to finally scratch the itch and have something to ride while the racetracks were closed. It's my only bike and so far has been very capable on trails and also for some steady runs out just for fitness. Definitely a dream build as I bought bits I'd always wanted on other bikes but had previously gone for cheaper alternatives.

Spec is:
Stanton Switchback large frame in ti. I'm very close to their workshop and they were kind enough to show me round and answer questions in person before I put the order in.
Ohlins rfx coil forks, 160mm travel
Hope bottom bracket and Hope evo 170mm cranks
Hope fortus 30mm wheelset. Maxxis dhf front/ aggressor rear (dd casing on rear)
Hope rotors 200/ 180 with ti bolts
Stanton 35mm stem
Stanton headset
Stanton 800mm bars
Hope 12 speed 32 tooth shimano compatible chainring
XTR chain
SLX mech, shifter and cassette
DMR v12 mag pedals
Hope v4 brakes
Brand x dropper with uber bike cable and wolf tooth remote.
DMR deathgrips.
Ergon saddle
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
Cheers herb copied the post across

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
Swamp-nut wrote:
do yall prefer the 32mm forks or the 34s?
I run 34's on my 29er hardtail at 140mm, I don't find them noticeably flexy

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 7:26 Quote
stumpy600 wrote:
Thought I'd post my new bike in here after building it up a few weeks ago. We had a 3rd lockdown in January in the UK and after wanting a hardtail for the past few years but spending all my fun money on motorcycles it was a good opportunity to finally scratch the itch and have something to ride while the racetracks were closed. It's my only bike and so far has been very capable on trails and also for some steady runs out just for fitness. Definitely a dream build as I bought bits I'd always wanted on other bikes but had previously gone for cheaper alternatives.

Spec is:
Stanton Switchback large frame in ti. I'm very close to their workshop and they were kind enough to show me round and answer questions in person before I put the order in.
Ohlins rfx coil forks, 160mm travel
Hope bottom bracket and Hope evo 170mm cranks
Hope fortus 30mm wheelset. Maxxis dhf front/ aggressor rear (dd casing on rear)
Hope rotors 200/ 180 with ti bolts
Stanton 35mm stem
Stanton headset
Stanton 800mm bars
Hope 12 speed 32 tooth shimano compatible chainring
XTR chain
SLX mech, shifter and cassette
DMR v12 mag pedals
Hope v4 brakes
Brand x dropper with uber bike cable and wolf tooth remote.
DMR deathgrips.
Ergon saddle
photo
photo
photo
Now that is super nice ! And the Ti Switchback is Quite possible the bets mountain bike on the planet... Been enjoying my MK2 for 5 years now.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
Curtis AM, Just built it,but waiting for it's permanent wheels and a 200mm dropper to be delivered.

Curtis AM9
Curtis AM9
Curtis AM9
Curtis AM9
Curtis AM9

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
Curtis AM9

I'm curious what your thoughts are on those cranks.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
scmalex wrote:
wythall1 wrote:
Curtis AM9

I'm curious what your thoughts are on those cranks.

I have been using rotor cranks for around 4 years in total in different guises. I have R Hawk cranks on my Curtis AM7 which are now no longer produced, the Kapic's are the replacement for them.
The quality is sublime, machined from billet in Madrid. They are beautifully stiff due to their construction and they are genuinely the lightest alloy cranks that money can buy, lighter than a lot of carbon cranks too! On top of that, they are totally modular. crank arms, axle and chain rings of all sizes and standards are interchangeable.
To sum it, I wouldn't run anything else on a steel HT.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
+1 on Rotor cranksets too.
I've started with a R-Raptor on my Bird Aeris 120LT and was a fit'n forget set. Then got a R-Hawk to put on my Bird Zero 29 trail HT to change out my Shimano Saint. The R-Hawk totally matched the stiffness from the Saint crank but way lighter.
Rotor BSA30 lasts forever and I have only had one issue with Rotor. At one point I got a new chainring but the tolerances was a wee bit too large so the chainring made clicking noices after some use. Changed the ring and back in business.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
+1 on Rotor cranksets too.
I've started with a R-Raptor on my Bird Aeris 120LT and was a fit'n forget set. Then got a R-Hawk to put on my Bird Zero 29 trail HT to change out my Shimano Saint. The R-Hawk totally matched the stiffness from the Saint crank but way lighter.
Rotor BSA30 lasts forever and I have only had one issue with Rotor. At one point I got a new chainring but the tolerances was a wee bit too large so the chainring made clicking noices after some use. Changed the ring and back in business.

I had the same issue with the chain ring when it was a little worn.
The BSA30 was still good after 3 years, but had seen better days. Unfortunately Rotor didn't have any BB stock back in Feb when I wanted to replace it, so I have to use an alternative.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
Upstatenoz wrote:
photo

Here is my new Marin San Quentin 3. Been riding it for about a month now and its a blast. Only downfall is I wish I could of bought just the frame and built it up.

Here's what I have changed:
Hope Pro4 Hubs
Shimano SLX Brakes
Shimano XT Ice-Tech Rotors
Deity Black Kat Pedals
Deity Copperhead Stem
Deity CZ38 Bars
Deity Speedtrap Saddle
Sensus Swayze lock ons
Tubeless

i just pass by to see some marin SQ bike then
i login in just to tell you that you have an awesome bike mister
and can you tell me what size of the bike you are having, thank you

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
That Curtis is BEAUTIFUL

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
mammal wrote:
That Curtis is BEAUTIFUL

Thank you for your kind words. Salute

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 14:10 Quote
My oldie but goldie ROS 9

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 16:27 Quote
My Merida Big Trail 500.

Still pretty much factory apart from pedals/bar/grips/tubeless. Planning to upgrade to a nicer fork though when I find something suitable at the right price, the Recon is ok for now but I'd like something better.

photo

photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025453
Mobile Version of Website