Need help with suspension - Injured

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Need help with suspension - Injured
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 9, 2012 at 21:54 Quote
Last year I bought a Giant Glory towards the end of summer, begging of fall. I got the bike for $850. It has a Marz. 888 RC3 fork and Roco R rear. I rode it a few times and found a few problems but put it up during winter for Snowmobiling season. The first ride out this year I was going to take it easy since I knew I needed a new saddle since the rails were bent and the rear shock needed a new spring. That tends not to happen with me. On the last run on the last step down of the day my rear suspension bottomed out and caught the seat making me slide. I washed out and went over the bars into a tree. When I got to the ER I found out I fractured my back in eight spots on five different vertebra's and have two mild bulging discs.

Proof
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n583/Visi34/IMG_1390.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n583/Visi34/diagnosis.jpg
Impact - Bruising and Major Swelling
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n583/Visi34/Swelling.jpg

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n583/Visi34/back.jpg
My question is what spring should I get? I can't double check what spring I have on the Roco right now but, I am pretty sure it is a 500lbs spring. I weight 210-215 normally. Any recomendations on saddles would be helpful too.

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 at 7:52 Quote
Haven't a clue on saddle or springs but owwwwwww. Hope your recovering ok.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2012 at 18:22 Quote
recovering all the best for you

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 0:37 Quote
I think you should trade your bike with an AM rig and hit trails instead of doing FR if you sustained those injuries. If you are in your late 30's that is...Just advice as a person in the medical field.

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 5:32 Quote
saitohkiyohiru wrote:
I think you should trade your bike with an AM rig and hit trails instead of doing FR if you sustained those injuries. If you are in your late 30's that is...Just advice as a person in the medical field.
Absolute rubbish. What's his age got to do with it? He'll just take a little longer to recover than someone younger than him.

Hoep you have a quick recovery OP Smile

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 7:13 Quote
saitohkiyohiru wrote:

I love to know the reasoning behind this, ok we all accept that healing takens longer as you get older but other factors influance this as well.

I'm 35 with server ligament damage to ankle, should I just be sitting on my arse all day.......

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 19:19 Quote
First of all... I hope you have speedy recovery.

Now for the spring rate question... It's actually a pretty hard question to answer over the internet. General rule of thumb is your weight with gear times 3 for spring weight. Though what will actually work varies between bike to bike due different linkage designs reacting differently to hits.

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 21:20 Quote
I appreciate it guys. I realize now I should of explained my question a little better since there are alot of variables. Marz. rear shock springs only go to 500 lbs. and I need one that is more than that. I have found out that the fox DHX 3.0+ stroke springs will work on my shock and go up to 800 Lbs. I will get back on the bike but am going to have to take some time to recover. Thanks.

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 21:03 Quote
Gayle wrote:
I love to know the reasoning behind this, ok we all accept that healing takens longer as you get older but other factors influance this as well.

I'm 35 with server ligament damage to ankle, should I just be sitting on my arse all day.......

I have to agree with saito, just that you have to live the rest of your life with the injuries. Breaking your back isn't something to just brush off IMHO.

I love mountain biking, but have given it up in the past for a few years due to injuries. Only to come back to it and sustain another injury. I'm probably one of the guys who should trade the dh rig for an all mountain set up.

What happened to Visi was kind of a freak accident, yet it doesn't hurt to take a step back and reflect. He has a hard time going easy on a bike, and so do I.

Just my 2 cents. Wish you a fast and full recovery!

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 13:45 Quote
Gayle wrote:
saitohkiyohiru wrote:

I am not saying that just because you got injured then you have to stop. I'm just saying that you might want to take it easy, especially looking at Visi's build, he looks kind of heavy. More weight means more mass for the spine to support I have a spinal injury myself but it did not stop me from riding my bike. I just changed the way I ride. Age does matter, as you age healing slows down or does not fully heal at all especially on ligaments and tendons. If it had only been a broken arm or leg then I would have said ride on. But spinal injuries are not to be taken lightly. Try asking any orthopedic, they'd tell you the same thing. It's like sex and STDs. Just because STD's are common these days, doesn't mean that you have to stop screwing. You just need to be careful with your partners and use a condom.

As for the spring rate, yeah, HD freerider is right.

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 14:31 Quote
What I have to object to is the sweeping statment regarding age. A healthly 40 year old will heal quicker that a 21 drug addict. There are so many variables in healing. It's wrong to say someone should consider a riding discipline because the are over xyz age. Good thing Steve Peat isn't reading this.

Spinal injuries are serious, but if you love doing something why give it up. Once healed why not go back to where you left off.

I damaged my ankle after a fall from my horse, I still ride her including jumping her, ok it took about 3 years to get back to where I was when I had my accident, but if anyone in the medical profession that I had contact with had told me not to ride, or maybe just hack they wouldn't of been treating me again.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 2:37 Quote
Yeah, I'm a fatty weighing in at a normal 210. I have had to go back to the ER once for excess swelling. Five days after the accident I weighted in at 233 lbs. The Dr. switched Meds and some of the swelling went down. Today I went in again for a check up and weighed 221 lbs. What I thought was swelling has turned into two hemotomas. One on my right side of my back and one my left side right above my hip bone. Now I have to get anothe CT scan for the hemotomas and another one for my hips since they are in alot of pain as well.

As for any serious riding I am done until next year. I am going to heal up, fix up the bike with a few things, and get ready for Sled season on the Turbo Sled. 225 HP on the snow is what I dig the most.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 7:13 Quote
Visi wrote:
Yeah, I'm a fatty weighing in at a normal 210. I have had to go back to the ER once for excess swelling. Five days after the accident I weighted in at 233 lbs. The Dr. switched Meds and some of the swelling went down. Today I went in again for a check up and weighed 221 lbs. What I thought was swelling has turned into two hemotomas. One on my right side of my back and one my left side right above my hip bone. Now I have to get anothe CT scan for the hemotomas and another one for my hips since they are in alot of pain as well.

As for any serious riding I am done until next year. I am going to heal up, fix up the bike with a few things, and get ready for Sled season on the Turbo Sled. 225 HP on the snow is what I dig the most.

Hope nothing too bad shows up on the CT's..., and your not a fatty, the term is either ' well covered' 'self padded ' or 'clydesdale'

Sled sounds awsome...

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 20:18 Quote
I'm about 210 as well (but I rarely get called a "fatty" since I'm 6'3" and that tends to spread out the weight haha), 550lbs spring seems to work well.

Question I have though, were you wearing a pressure suit? I was riding today at whistler and had a bit of an off, flew off the trail and into the trees, slamming them with my back. I basically got up and rode away, was wearing that full Leatt Body suit. Wondering if that saved me from a similar fate.

Btw, love that you came on here after a big accident and your only question is what spring to get next... seriously, it's awesome. Wink

Oh, and another comment, the age thing, late 30's isn't old. There are guys here ripping the bike park in their 50's-60's that could out ride a lot of the bullshitters here on PB. Hell, I rode with a 74 year old guy Monday. He flew.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 20:57 Quote
Holy shit man I hope Ur all good now

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013992
Mobile Version of Website