Hope brakes still weak after bleeding

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hope brakes still weak after bleeding
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2012 at 8:55 Quote
Did the piston trick (completely retracting them after bleeding, then pumping the lever to centralise them), and it seemed to work for the rear brake - ish. I can now skid (with a lot of force on the lever), but the front brake is just as bad.

Gonna take it to my LBS next weekend - thanks for the help though!

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 19:56 Quote
I am having the exact same problem with my M4's, I was running Hope X2 and they weren't locking any wheel, after 2 re-bleed nothing changed so I bought used M4's from a guy that was running them on his DH bike. I have the whole X2 nightmare all over again, front brake seems to bite a bit but the rear one cannot lock the rear brake even at 2kph, its soooo weak its unbelievable, re-bleading didn't fix anything, I cooked the pads, cleaned the rotors nothing.

These brakes gets great reviews and some people are even running them on DH bikes so I am pretty sure its my setup, these brakes cannot be this bad. By the way shimanos cheapest deore brakes have the power to even lock the front brake where as mine are not close to lock any brake.

Whats wrong here?? Did you guys solved the issue?? Its super weird that I had the exact same issue with my X2's and now same issue with my M4's??

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 1:39 Quote
pinkbikeryder wrote:
I am having the exact same problem with my M4's, I was running Hope X2 and they weren't locking any wheel, after 2 re-bleed nothing changed so I bought used M4's from a guy that was running them on his DH bike. I have the whole X2 nightmare all over again, front brake seems to bite a bit but the rear one cannot lock the rear brake even at 2kph, its soooo weak its unbelievable, re-bleading didn't fix anything, I cooked the pads, cleaned the rotors nothing.

These brakes gets great reviews and some people are even running them on DH bikes so I am pretty sure its my setup, these brakes cannot be this bad. By the way shimanos cheapest deore brakes have the power to even lock the front brake where as mine are not close to lock any brake.

Whats wrong here?? Did you guys solved the issue?? Its super weird that I had the exact same issue with my X2's and now same issue with my M4's??
I have the x2 and they are plenty powerfull they lock up very very strong . So you must have air in your m4s. I could suggest lists of things it could be but I'd say take them to your local bike shop

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 7:47 Quote
I'm pretty sure my problem ended up being due to contaminated brake pads - so I'd change them as cooking pads doesn't always work! If the lever is biting properly and not squeezing to the handlebars, like mine was, I bet it's the pads
I think it was due to a bike cleaning spray I was using. So annoying!!!

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 19:56 Quote
When I bleed my Tech 3 X2s, do I want my bpc turned all the way clock wise or counter clockwise?

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 at 6:10 Quote
panzer103 wrote:
When I bleed my Tech 3 X2s, do I want my bpc turned all the way clock wise or counter clockwise?
You want the bite point to be the furthest way out that it can be, so I presume that's all the way counter clockwise.

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 at 7:55 Quote
Cool thanks. I think some of my issues are that ice tech rotors are too thick. But its only the rear is rubbing. Hmm...

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.043574
Mobile Version of Website