MTBing in the dark?

• Previous Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2012 at 16:04 Quote
Has anyone ever tried XC riding in the dark? What was it like? I usually ride more DH-orientated stuff but I can't see that being much fun with just a small light from a torch, so I fancy hitting some of the XC trails up my local.

If anyone has any experience could they tell me what to do/what not to do, and also recommend a torch/flashlight?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 at 16:25 Quote
it's a lot of fun. Either get plenty of lights on yourself, both helmet and bar, or just helmet with friends also lit up. If you don't run multiple lights you end up having to check your speed too much in my opinion. Multiple lights also give you better depth perception.

Chainlove.com often has lights popping up for a good price. Otherwise just get those cheap lights on ebay.

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 6:38 Quote
As above, it's great fun, I tend to find I ride better in the dark as well Wink

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 14:20 Quote
Got myself a deal on a exposure maxxd last winter, only got out a couple of times with it but had an awesome time, I know my local woods like the back of hand which I think helps but I would say go for it.....

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 16:21 Quote
it's a blast! quality lights are key and the more the better. as others have said getting a group ride together helps to spread the light-love so you don't need as much individual light since your friend's lights help to fill the gaps. it's def. a different experience than daylight riding since you essentially are working with tunnel vision but sometimes ridding yourself of other distractions can be a good thing.

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 17:19 Quote
I Love my dark ride

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 8:35 Quote
Its not something I ever did but it must be really awesome.
Was thinking about getting one of those lights soon to try it out..!

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 12:24 Quote
Biking at night is incredibly surreal. You feel alone (unless your behind a bunch of friends). I prefer to have my high power light on the brain bucket and a decent light on the bar (or a pair if you have $$).
I have a NiteRider Pro700 on the bucket and a 250 lumen lamp (from Performance, can't remember the name) on the bar. My lights do not match on the color spectrum, but they are close. Light spectrum matching is really only important if your obsessive compulsive. Both of my lamps are LED which I find make great light that lasts for hours of fun.
On your first dark ride, take your time if the course is in the thicket. The shadows around corners can play with your mind if your not used to it. My first night ride (12 years ago) was a little uneasy. This was mostly due to the light that I had at the time (a 12W incandescant). I didnt have enough light and would dodge a tree root or limb around the corners. My problem was with the timing as I was dodging the shadows, not the actual root/limb. The good news is that when you crash at night, you can easily find where your light landed.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 12:40 Quote
Get the right lite. I have 1 magic shine and My bros and I can almost go as fast on our dh bikes in the dark as during the day. Catching air and riding skinnies is much more creepy as the ground seems bottomless. Most people use more than 1, but if it is the right lite all you need is 1 (and a backup lite of course).

FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 8:08 Quote
i run twin magic shines..
twin lights mounted upfront - modded mounts.
They have a claimed 1200lumens output, but its more like 6-900. I bought them from Deal extreme as there only £30 each link rather than the UK £80 price....
I've also changed the clamps to some elevated ones.....

Night riding is great and gives a completly different trail expriance to day time rides - for the reletivly low cost of £30 its def worth a go.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 12:34 Quote
monkeyboyjc wrote:
i run twin magic shines..
twin lights mounted upfront - modded mounts.
They have a claimed 1200lumens output, but its more like 6-900. I bought them from Deal extreme as there only £30 each link rather than the UK £80 price....
I've also changed the clamps to some elevated ones.....

Night riding is great and gives a completly different trail expriance to day time rides - for the reletivly low cost of £30 its def worth a go.

do you run any other lights, like on your helmet?

FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 12:38 Quote
nah - i've got a 900 lumen helmet tourch but hardly ever use it, and i could run one of the magic shines as a helmet tourch but I've set these up with a spot and wide beam and find them fine on the bars...

Mod
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 12:59 Quote
it's a whole new experience and adventure.. it turns old trails into new trails. There's nothing like taking a ride in the dark with a mate and knowing that the cougars and hillbillies could be hiding in the shadows.. bahaha

FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 13:02 Quote
t3rry wrote:
it's a whole new experience and adventure.. it turns old trails into new trails. There's nothing like taking a ride in the dark with a mate and knowing that the cougars and hillbillies could be hiding in the shadows.. bahaha
dog poo and badgers in the UK.....

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 13:35 Quote
^^ HAHAHAHAHA ^^

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012731
Mobile Version of Website