Year round biking in BC?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Year round biking in BC?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 3:28 Quote
Does such a thing exist up there? I'm planning on moving next spring and originally BC was my dream destination simply because of the epic trails there. And of course Whistler. But it seems towns there either get really harsh winters with lots of snow and/or lots of rain. Are there any towns that have a variety of trails from DH to XC where you can ride something all year?

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 10:50 Quote
Vancouver, North Shore & Squamish. The Shore can get snow on it at times, but it's mild enough that there's usually something to ride all year, Vancouver gets less than a week of snow, and that's even rare. The only other option would be the island, they're pretty mild as well.

You have to go further north than Whistler to get harsh winters, but I'm saying that as a guy that used to live in Manitoba. I don't know what your idea of harsh is. Wink

Btw, the snow is good, gives you options for other sports. And if I ever get that itch to go riding I just drive down to Squamish, they're at sea-level so they usually have trails open when we're under 10 feet of snow.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 12:31 Quote
We ride some of the lower altitude trails almost year round in the South Okanagan but we can get a couple of inches a snow for a few weeks per winter.

Our ugly guy quota is full. Wink

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 16:12 Quote
Bricklin69 wrote:

Ain't that the truth!! haha

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 16:32 Quote
JScott wrote:
Vancouver, North Shore & Squamish. The Shore can get snow on it at times, but it's mild enough that there's usually something to ride all year, Vancouver gets less than a week of snow, and that's even rare. The only other option would be the island, they're pretty mild as well.

You have to go further north than Whistler to get harsh winters, but I'm saying that as a guy that used to live in Manitoba. I don't know what your idea of harsh is. Wink

Btw, the snow is good, gives you options for other sports. And if I ever get that itch to go riding I just drive down to Squamish, they're at sea-level so they usually have trails open when we're under 10 feet of snow.

Hmm, interesting about Vancouver. I didn't realize their winter was that mild. Vancouver was on my list originally for a place to move to since it's a fairly large city and that could only increase the chance of finding a job. I hear both bad and good things about it though.

I thought the shore and Squamish got a lot of rain? And by the island are you referring to Vancouver Island?

I'm just not much of a snow person. Mostly because I've never seen it. I'm in Houston so you can imagine the weather here. I wouldn't mind trying snowboarding though. And I guess I could finally make a snowman for the first time. But that would get old. I'd want to be back on the bike.

Thanks for the info.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 16:33 Quote
Bricklin69 wrote:

Well crap.

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 at 18:03 Quote
Ride all year round here on the Sunshine Coast. lol

Rick

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 at 17:58 Quote
What about Fernie? I just saw the video on that place on this site, it has all the different types of biking I'm looking for. I'm guessing too much snow in the winter to ride?

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2012 at 19:08 Quote
Yes, cold and snow.

Posted: Jul 3, 2012 at 18:02 Quote
Bullitt2001 wrote:
Ride all year round here on the Sunshine Coast. lol

Rick

Not sure where that is but I'll look more into it. I saw the "Sunshine Coast" featured on a mtb movie. I almost want to say it was the Semenuk/Smith scene from Follow Me.

Posted: Jul 9, 2012 at 19:12 Quote
Sunshine Coast(Sechelt or Gibsons) is in British Columbia Canada. very close to Vancouver.

Posted: Jul 9, 2012 at 19:31 Quote
People definitely ride year round in Kamloops, although it does snow from time to time.

Don't knock winter until you've tried it though, shredding snow on skis or a board is amazing and taking the winter off will make you so much more stoked to ride come spring. Skiing would burn me out if it wasn't for biking and vice versa.

Posted: Jul 10, 2012 at 14:16 Quote
tinfoil wrote:
People definitely ride year round in Kamloops, although it does snow from time to time.

Don't knock winter until you've tried it though, shredding snow on skis or a board is amazing and taking the winter off will make you so much more stoked to ride come spring. Skiing would burn me out if it wasn't for biking and vice versa.

I've just never experienced true winter weather nor have I ever been skiing. I would like to try boarding though, used to skate as a kid so I think I'd probably enjoy it. Just so long as I don't end up inverted in a tree well or something. But yeah, I'd like to at least have somewhat close access to some snow and ski parks for winter. I just don't want that to be my only option. Also I'm not a very skilled biker, with only 1 year of actual mountain biking under my belt. So if I took a whole winter season off it would probably feel like I was riding trails for the first time all over again.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2012 at 18:03 Quote
uglyguy wrote:
tinfoil wrote:

I've just never experienced true winter weather nor have I ever been skiing. I would like to try boarding though, used to skate as a kid so I think I'd probably enjoy it. Just so long as I don't end up inverted in a tree well or something. But yeah, I'd like to at least have somewhat close access to some snow and ski parks for winter. I just don't want that to be my only option. Also I'm not a very skilled biker, with only 1 year of actual mountain biking under my belt. So if I took a whole winter season off it would probably feel like I was riding trails for the first time all over again.

Bah, just move your ass to Whistler, ride in the summer, board/ski in the winter and then head on down to Squamish/North Shore if you want your winter mtn bike fix. Wink

Posted: Jul 11, 2012 at 9:39 Quote
Line me up a job making no less than 30K (USD) a year and I'm there.

How far of a drive is Squamish and the Shore from Whistler?

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016577
Mobile Version of Website