Specialized Status, air time bike, or grounded ? jumping

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Specialized Status, air time bike, or grounded ? jumping
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2012 at 17:01 Quote
Looking to get a specialized status , problem is the major DH areas are not as close as my trail riding . Now How much would one suffer if forced to climb with this until another more trail worthy bike is bought and also how flickable is this bike , I do have a lot of short DH trail with jumps/ramps around me but it seems like the status's suspension might be to plush to flick into the air ? your opinions?

Posted: Jun 27, 2012 at 20:11 Quote
Thanks for the reply , first bad take I have heard on the status so far , not that your opinion is wrong in fact you sound way more intelligent . Why was it running triple 8's with no brand rear shock ? doesnt it at least come with a xfusion or rockshox ?

Posted: Jul 1, 2012 at 19:07 Quote
socnick83 wrote:
I don't review many things but the Status warrants some words. Personally, I did not like this bike at all and was very disappointed with it's performance. My friend and I rented the Status II from Winter Park Resort this past weekend. We shred pretty hard for a couple of Kansas guys on rentals. Granted, the Status came with a Marzocchi 888 fork and an off brand rear suspension which is different than what you would purchase from a shop. Our first run consisted of Rainmaker and Beall Ucanb and we were left wondering whether the trails or the bike were to blame for our lack of enjoyment. After the first run, the Status was so bad that my buddy took his back to the rental shop and exchanged his Status for last year's used and abused rental model the Kona Operator. After my second run I did the same thing and dumped the Status. It was horrid for any type of advanced riding. The Status felt wobbly in the corners like the rear triangle was flexing from side to side as you were turning. It didn't provide the sweet boost feeling out of a massive corner or berm that you should get. Also, it seemed to want both tires on the ground at all times because it wanted to suck up everything, including jumps. Jumping with this bike was absolutely a horrible experience as it provided absolutely no "pop" when I pumped into a jump. Flicking the bike around and having fun on was impossible on the Status. Thankfully, once we got Kona's "entry level" bike under us we started smiling again. We railed No Quarter and Rainmaker run after run, and Trestle Downhill and Cruel and Unusual were no problem on the Kona. Can't imagine what those runs would have been like when battling the Status's crap ass design. Granted, the one thing that the Status did better than the Kona was pedaling efficiency. So, if you like to pedal a heavy ass bike and keep your tires on the ground without smiling then get the Status. If you like to have fun on a DH bike I would look elsewhere. The Status is crap.

You were on a rental bike with presumable horribly tuned suspension, this review is 100% irrelevant. You could make a dirt jumper bad at jumping if you let a rental shop tune the fork.

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 at 7:21 Quote
As my daughter would say... pwned!

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 at 6:57 Quote
Sick bro, since they had the same shock it clearly didn't matter that the frames were completely different designs that would require completely different tuning? It's totally impossible the shock the shop used happened to be a great match for the Kona and bad match for the status? It's awesome you're so smart that you can tell I've never tuned suspension before. Gahh I wish I understood suspension as well as you do, hell you eve almost knew what a roco was!

And by tuning, in case this isn't clear, I mean the spring weight, preload, compression dampening, and rebound dampening. Of course you can fiddle with the dampening on the hill, but different suspension designs need a heavier or lighter spring (for the same rider, and relative to the design) and different preload so it sits in the right part of the travel, being off by a bit can make a great bike ride like shit.

Without even riding a status ever in my life I can almost guarantee you could find a shock set up that would make it feel poppy and jump well, at least better than what you rode. Of course the Kona still could be a better bike I really don't know, I'm not saying you're wrong about the Kona being more fun than the Status at all. Ultimately all I'm saying is if you only tried the Status with one spring weight and maybe a couple different clicks on the dampening it didn't get a fair trial.

Posted: Jul 7, 2012 at 5:36 Quote
I would get on one and try it before I listened to anyones opinions from the internet, especially some guy that rented one for two runs and claims to be an expert. I ride at highland mtb park, around five days a week, and I have run into countless people that love that status, never have I come across anyone speaking poorly of the bike.

Posted: Jul 7, 2012 at 12:28 Quote
Suspension is tuned on the trail not in a shop.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2012 at 21:23 Quote
I actually have a great experience with my Status. It's all built up on just the frame, so I can't talk about the components on Status I or II, anyway, raced the bike at home in Czech Republic, and now I'm abusing it in Whistler, it pops easily off anything you jump, from A-Line to Crabapple hits, and it can handle techy downhills just as well. Myself riding the small size, it's pretty playful bike, you can throw it around in the air, and it deals pretty well in tight corners. I can't really feel the rear end being wobbly, but I'm running the DT Swiss RWS rear axle, which certainly does make a difference.

Of course as an owner of the bike I can be biased, but I'm really happy with the bike, riding all types of terrain from jumpy trails to technical steep downhills..

Posted: Jul 8, 2012 at 13:33 Quote
It's also tuned over the course of a season not in two runs. The reason the shop is a factor is because they get to experiment with the bike for longer so it's up to them to figure out what general settings work best for the frame if they really care that much, but I doubt they do since the average joey who rents them probably also doesn't care and can't tell.

You can't judge a bikes performance based on a bike rented for a day. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Posted: Jul 8, 2012 at 22:02 Quote
I declare inroncross the winner of this debate because socnick83 is from kansas and I work at the trestle bike shop

Posted: Oct 23, 2012 at 10:12 Quote
danarchy420 wrote:
I declare inroncross the winner of this debate because socnick83 is from kansas and I work at the trestle bike shop

I also rented a Status from the Trestle bike shop. I was up the last week before they closed for winter this year. It was my first time on a DH bike and although it was much heavier than I'm used to I really enjoyed it. I'm pretty good at suspension tuning from years of MX experience so I got the suspension dialed in and it rode great! I'm seriously looking at purchasing a complete Status II at this point

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2012 at 12:41 Quote
Barrecloth and soderstrom chose to ride it instead of demos at rampage. Can't be all bad. The status we have in our shop(green and black one with x fusion suspension) feels like a super solid ride for the price.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013919
Mobile Version of Website