Hardcore hardtail vs all mountain full sus

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Hardcore hardtail vs all mountain full sus
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2012 at 9:24 Quote
i am sure there is a thread for this so i apolagise i cant find it.

i currently have a heckler built up with an rp23 and some 140 forks. i upgraded to this from my cove stiffe. i still have this frame and it is built up with some spares i had lying around. i cant justify having two bikes so was curious to others opinions as to which i should keep and upgrade and which i should sell off.

i generally ride cannock chase and occasionly other trail centers mainly wales. I love the feel and ride when i had my cove but can fully appreciate the added grip and fun downhill having the full bounce heckler. So lost any ideas?

(baring in mind i dont have much spare cash when i say upgrade it is more repair whenever i damage it. cant afford both as neither are how i would want to set up due to money issues. Only reason havnt built up heckler is that i generally enjoy quick hard blasts not all day epics and am not a full on downhiller.)

Worried that if i go back to my cove it will limit my progression and enjoyment if i start to venture out more,.

sorry for the long post.

cheers.

Posted: Jun 27, 2012 at 11:48 Quote
TBH I'd stick with the full sus Heckler. This is because it is a really capable fully, but can climb well enough to get you to the top. When you get to the descents it's really gonna rip, and I'd take a full sus any day over a hardtail. You feasibly could ride either round the average trail centre, but as your riding grows, you can hit up more capable areas on a full sus much faster than a hardtail, and it will inspire more confidence, so I'd stick with the full sus!

Sorry for the long reply! Wink

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 at 4:45 Quote
As you have both and can ride both around your trails: which one do you prefer?

I don't think a hardtail can limit your progression at all, if anything it will improve your bike handling skills more.

No-one on here knows how you ride so its completely down to you

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 at 5:00 Quote
If it was me i would stick with the heckler too. For sure hard tails climb better than full-sus, (in most situations), and you need more skill for technical sections but a full suss can do everything a hard tail can do even if it is at a slower pace. I love climbing but it's not exciting. The downhills are the exciting bits and the faster the better. a decent full-suss will always be quicker than a hard tail when pointing down, (assuming the same rider).
No apologies for the long reply, i've had a beer Smile

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 at 5:14 Quote
What about fast smooth trails with lots of berms and smooth manmade jumps?
Hardtail=faster here i'd say

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 at 5:15 Quote
Oh i love hardtails so may be biased

Posted: Jul 11, 2012 at 5:31 Quote
In the end I just can't decide. Just went with giving both a proper service. Get some heavier hitting wheels and some wider bars for my hardtail. Still only 120mm travel on a stifee frame. Seems a lil wasteful decide I will rode that keeps sharp and stop getting lazy and use the full bounce for the rides where you need that nit more. This argument cab go on forever I will still proba always rate my hardtail over a full sis. Just more fun and a challenge on the harder stuff.

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 at 20:57 Quote
Real men ride hard tails...

Posted: Nov 1, 2012 at 19:12 Quote
Keep em both. You don't always need to go bruk nek speed to have fun. FS gives you confidence in the bike for the most part, which is fine. But hardtails build self confidence and nerves of steel. I think people get so caught up with FS, they forget or have no clue, just how capable hardtails are.

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 at 16:49 Quote
Good evening,I too don't have much cash which is why when my asr sl wore out from being ridden every day I got fixed gear then thankfully a boardman team r a year ago anyway to the point full suspension costs a lot to maintain my fox shock would cost me almost a £100 per service and that was 5years ago and that was almost every six months. The cove frame is downhill friendly with a 66degree head angle and the heckler is sweet too keep em both its good to have a back up bike in case your main ride has a breakdown. A extra bike needs no justification it costs you nothing having it there I've still got my yeti even though its worn out and no use its part of the family and the cat. Maybe just maybe this reply is tooo long

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 13:48 Quote
dirttrailsociety wrote:
Keep em both. You don't always need to go bruk nek speed to have fun. FS gives you confidence in the bike for the most part, which is fine. But hardtails build self confidence and nerves of steel. I think people get so caught up with FS, they forget or have no clue, just how capable hardtails are.

This is so true - I have ridden both a hardtail and Full sus...... I love a hardtail im afraid. It has really taught me how to ride, tackle technical stuff, improve my confidence and my riding - I only started MTBiking a year ago!

I have a beautiful orange P7 with 140mm of travel on the front and I ride over everything my boyfriend does on his Orange Five but faster because its lighter and more agile - with the added advantage that I can also put less effort into getting up the hills. Full sus are lovely but unless I think your literally doing some hardercore downhill stuff or want to literally jump over/across things all the time then the Hardtail is just as good/ cheaper to maintain option??? Ive ridden the P7 all over Wales, south west and lake district and I have not met any red or black run which it cannot tackle at speed !!!! Its one Hardcore little Hardtail!!!

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 19:35 Quote
Id say keep them both too .if they are paid for and money is an issue you dont want to have regrets down the road about letting one go and then not be in a position to get another. As far as which one is better it depends on where your riding and both have something to offer for making you a stronger rider. I started on a fully rigid and now ride full and cant imagine going back. Good luck and keep pedaling

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010391
Mobile Version of Website