Full Face Chin Strap (just got out of 3 days in intensive care at Whistler)

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Full Face Chin Strap (just got out of 3 days in intensive care at Whistler)
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2012 at 12:00 Quote
Kanza wrote:
No problem, I find it quite a interesting subject coming off many years of motorcycle racing and taking up DH/Gravity bike stuff.

Your helmet fit is checked at scruitineering in motorsports, and their is very little thought given to it in cycling. I've looked at a few helmets for DH and sent them back due to that fitting round the front of the face. Most where like open face with a added chin part, no real thought in design. Went for BELL in the end as it just fits a lot more like a motorcycle helmet for me round the cheeks, where as you say it should really be quite tight fit almost uncomfortable when new.

Bit strange really as there is a lot more of a chance of a full on facial impact with tree's, rocks and over the front crashes.

Best wishes on the recovery.
This is why i allso use bell fullface much better fit

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 at 16:04 Quote
Ive just gotta say, i am really impressed you're getting back on the bike so soon after a crash like that. I hope for a speedy recovery.

Posted: Jul 1, 2012 at 19:24 Quote
Ya not many mtb helmets will actually hold your cheeks that well. I use a 661 evo carbon, it is tight as hell but definitely could still slide back. The next size down would literally not be wearable though I'd have a headache all day. I did used to have a 661 fenix DOT approved helmet and that did have much more substantial cheek padding like on any other DOT motorcycle helmet.

I pedal my bike a lot and make the trade off to have a smaller lighter helmet... fingers crossed that sounds scary!

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 11:02 Quote
If you can afford it, the latest Troy Lee D3 is simply awesome. Have had quite a few face to floor impacts with it and it's not moved an inch.. It's a tight fit at first but you get used to it. Went medium, I'm about a 57.5cm head, this is for 56 to 59 shell but with the medium pads it's a good tight fit. I've had a few Troy Lees before but the D3 fits so much better than the sloppy D2. Having hit the deck face first with an open face I will never, ever ride with anything but the D3. I did however get it at an excellent price well below retail which kinda helped me make up my mind!! Ride safe everyone!

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 at 22:32 Quote
cydaps,
Now I feel silly. I purchased a D2 after this big crash and rode DH at Winter Park in August. Everything went well as it usually does when you avoid face smashes. No D3's were available where I was shopping at the time.

edit- come to think of it, they may have had D3's after all, but the price was significantly higher? all relative I suppose

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 2:59 Quote
pmack wrote:
cydaps,
Now I feel silly. I purchased a D2 after this big crash and rode DH at Winter Park in August. Everything went well as it usually does when you avoid face smashes. No D3's were available where I was shopping at the time.

edit- come to think of it, they may have had D3's after all, but the price was significantly higher? all relative I suppose

I love my D2 as well, I've had it for years and it's been fantastic. It's had quite a few hits, and about 4 new visors, but the D3 is a different league but yes, considerably more expensive. The Troy Lee helmets are second to none from personal experience. My worse was a 661 that looked good but never felt good when crashing, and basically fell apart over time. It's down to fit as well, for me the TLD stuff is the perfect fit, the 661 was sloppy or too tight fore and aft, couldn't get on with the look of some of the other helmets, just too big and bulky. Any helmet up to a certain approval standard should give you the right protection as long as the fit is right. Smile Ride safe dudes and pin those trails! Smile

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 8:47 Quote
I use a Troy Lee D2. I find it very comfy (for a full face helmet), i can see plenty out of it and it isn't too heavy. I have never tried a D3, but from everything i hear when my D2 does eventually die it will be replaced with a D3 if that is the latest from Troy Lee.

I have had several small over-the-bar chin on the ground incidents, and one big head sliding along the ground moment and the D2 has been perfect.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018079
Mobile Version of Website