Post Your Custom Bike Racks!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Post Your Custom Bike Racks!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2012 at 15:51 Quote
So i just finished building a custom bike rack for my hitch receiver, and am pretty stoked on it, so i wanted to see what everybody else has come up with! over the tail gate contraptions, tray beds, strappy doo-dads, or hanger types like mine! whatever you've built to shuttle your rigs around, lets see em!

i didn't really know where to put this thread, so i figured the PB mechanics would appreciate it the most.

here's mine to start!

Hinged receiver to open tailgate, and a hitch lock so it doesnt rattle around in the truck's receiver
Home made bike rack. hinged receiver to open tailgate. Receiver lock to prevent rattling in the truck receiver

Side shot
Home made bike rack.

empty, four bikes can fit!
Home made bike rack.

i built it so they go each way so there's more room to see out the back window
Home made bike rack.

and two bikes on one side! lots of room between them!
Home made bike rack.

and the other side
Home made bike rack.

Lets see em!!!

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2012 at 18:01 Quote
I am going to copy the SH!T out of this. Thank You Sir.

Posted: Jul 8, 2012 at 19:36 Quote
Do It!!!! It's working great! =] I would make it slightly skinnier if i did it again though. put the bikes a bit closer together.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2012 at 20:46 Quote
redridesrule wrote:
Do It!!!! It's working great! =] I would make it slightly skinnier if i did it again though. put the bikes a bit closer together.

i'll be there in 1 week, better have mine ready for pickup.

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 at 13:06 Quote
Here's my version of a north shore rack. Works extremely well and cost me less than one hundred dollars to build and a couple hours of time.
Home made bike rack
Home made bike rack

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 at 13:09 Quote
By the way redridesrule, I really dig your anti rattle idea for the receiver!

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 at 13:12 Quote
dtc81 wrote:
By the way redridesrule, I really dig your anti rattle idea for the receiver!

thanks! yeah its super easy to make. just tap a couple holes in some angle iron and you're good to go!

yours looks great! it's not aluminium is it??

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 at 13:19 Quote
Nope, just steel. I kinda whipped it up and realized some changes I am going to make on the next one. Angle the crown holders a little to avoid rocking, and fix the rack's pivot point so it gives more ground clearance mounted on the vehicle. Powder coating it a bright color would help too, whenever it is on the truck without bikes I worry other drivers will hit it. I've even had a lady texting on her phone walk into it in a parking lot. Hilarious.

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 at 13:30 Quote
haha! that is super funny! yeah i guess it would be hard to see straight in eh. I was thinking about building one the northshore rack style but didnt like how the frame/fork could rub.

did you ever think about building yours so the bikes are oriented the same way as mine? doesnt stick out as far when there's no bikes on

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 at 14:54 Quote
Yup, when I get around to building another one it will be like yours where the bikes line up along the back.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 at 19:21 Quote
dtc81 wrote:
Here's my version of a north shore rack. Works extremely well and cost me less than one hundred dollars to build and a couple hours of time.
Home made bike rack
Home made bike rack

Nice I'm getting ready to build a 5 bike rack. Was wondering where did you get those "crown hooks"?

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2012 at 19:47 Quote
photo

photo

This is my prototype. The new version will be cleaner aesthetically and hold 26", 650B and 29ers. Powder coated, durable and folds up. The thing I like is that the bike is totally protected from the ground which helps huge when driving rough roads. I also staggered the trays so handlebars don't hit when you have 3-4 bikes.

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 at 22:45 Quote
Thats a rad one bro! i like the double fold design. What are you using to hold the bikes in place? Just bungees or?

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 5:47 Quote
Bungees to hold the bikes down and the trays themselves hold the bikes upright and stationary from left to right. Thanks for liking it, took lots of planning, way harder than it looks.

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 16:04 Quote
AlexZ28 wrote:
dtc81 wrote:
Home made bike rack
Home made bike rack

Nice I'm getting ready to build a 5 bike rack. Was wondering where did you get those "crown hooks"?

I actually made them. The bottom is a tight U shaped piece of 1/2" square stock, and the top is 1/4" round stock bent to a U to go around the head tube. The 1/4" round stock has a bit of a "hook" at the ends. I slid some rubber fuel hose over the steel to prevent scratching on parts. If I remember I will snap some pictures of it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.203049
Mobile Version of Website