Post Your Custom Bike Racks!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Post Your Custom Bike Racks!
Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 16:12 Quote
Tmackstab wrote:
Bungees to hold the bikes down and the trays themselves hold the bikes upright and stationary from left to right. Thanks for liking it, took lots of planning, way harder than it looks.

That thing is sweet! (And a fellow 4runner owner!) I'm really liking the tray idea, and may make something like that later this winter. I recently fabbed up a tube rear bumper for my lifted 4runner, and lifting a muddy DH bike over your head after a day of riding to get it on the rack is a chore. (I also just plain like the look of the bikes on trays anyway)

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 16:25 Quote
Hey thanks! 4runners are the best. I guess you could appreciate the fact that after a muddy day of riding I can lift the hatch up providing a roof for me to get changed. Then I close the hatch and load up the bikes, I'm stoked on it. I designed the whole thing on solidworks and cut the pieces out. We make press brakes at work so I made the tooling to bend the trays and pivot plates.

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 17:46 Quote
Tmackstab wrote:
Hey thanks! 4runners are the best. I guess you could appreciate the fact that after a muddy day of riding I can lift the hatch up providing a roof for me to get changed. Then I close the hatch and load up the bikes, I'm stoked on it. I designed the whole thing on solidworks and cut the pieces out. We make press brakes at work so I made the tooling to bend the trays and pivot plates.

That's awesome! I'm in dire need of a brake and a bender. I'd never leave my shop if I had them. College kid budget isn't helping with the bigger purchase tools like that...but all in good time! I've had a few people mention the use of solidworks, I'm going to have to research that a little more. Right now all my designs come from a drafting table haha.

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 19:15 Quote
dtc81 wrote:

I actually made them. The bottom is a tight U shaped piece of 1/2" square stock, and the top is 1/4" round stock bent to a U to go around the head tube. The 1/4" round stock has a bit of a "hook" at the ends. I slid some rubber fuel hose over the steel to prevent scratching on parts. If I remember I will snap some pictures of it.

Sweet, I'm getting 2 inch sqaure tubing tommorow and was going to look at U bolts as well. Doing something similar to the image below except with the triangular bracing and room for 5 bikes(unless its too much weight):

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://northshoreracks.com/Assets/Images/classic4/full/full%20specs.jpgYou wouldn't happen to have the Length and Center measurement would you?

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.dalecompany.com/images/ubolt_round_bend.jpg

Thanks, I'll post up results.

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 19:28 Quote
I don't have the length and center measurement off hand unfortunately. I just measured the inside crown under the steerer tube of all my bikes and went with the narrowest measurement. Are you making the top horizontal bar out of 2" square tube as well? If so, you may run into a problem with contact between the top of the downtube on the bike and the horizontal top bar itself when the bike is hanging. I went with 1" square tube for the top horizontal bar and wish I got 1"x2" rectangular for a little added rigidity, yet similar clearance. I actually based most of my measurements off that exact NS diagram haha. If I remember after work tomorrow I'll try to get some pictures...no promises with my memory though haha

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 at 22:57 Quote
dtc81 wrote:
I don't have the length and center measurement off hand unfortunately. I just measured the inside crown under the steerer tube of all my bikes and went with the narrowest measurement. Are you making the top horizontal bar out of 2" square tube as well? If so, you may run into a problem with contact between the top of the downtube on the bike and the horizontal top bar itself when the bike is hanging. I went with 1" square tube for the top horizontal bar and wish I got 1"x2" rectangular for a little added rigidity, yet similar clearance. I actually based most of my measurements off that exact NS diagram haha. If I remember after work tomorrow I'll try to get some pictures...no promises with my memory though haha

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take your advise and go with 1x2 rectangular tubing for the top bar I'll look into clearances as well. Sounds good, thanks.

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 at 11:00 Quote
dtc81 wrote:
Tmackstab wrote:

That's awesome! I'm in dire need of a brake and a bender. I'd never leave my shop if I had them. College kid budget isn't helping with the bigger purchase tools like that...but all in good time! I've had a few people mention the use of solidworks, I'm going to have to research that a little more. Right now all my designs come from a drafting table haha.

Yeah it for sure helps to have the right tools for the job. I started out on a piece of paper too but was then able to transfer over to solidoworks. It helps because the program shows you where there could be binding and contact etc. Now I just need to figure out how to make them cheap and sell them for profit without infringing on any patents.

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 at 16:04 Quote
Hooks aren't as perfect as I wanted but they will. Also, about 4-6 inches too tall.

Custom 5 bike rack 1
Custom 5 bike rack 2
Custom 5 bike rack 3

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 at 15:47 Quote
I am currently looking at building a North Shore Rack. Im trying to come up with a design that has the rack folding down to have access to the trunk on my 3rd gen 4runner hold 5 bikes much like the NS 4 but with one in the middle. A cool idea i have is to have a bike stand that can fold out from the rack still have a lot of designing to do then a bit of welding. I am not a very experienced fabricator and don't have all the tools i would like to have. so i would like to buy the most complicated part the forks for the fork crown from one of you guys that have made them before ill take bids on this page

I would like to Buy 5 crown forks with the connecting tab on the bottom

the lowest bid wins payment through Pay Pal

Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 19:23 Quote
I love to see custom racks. I made myself a very simple, partially ghetto one that I use often. I wanted to make a fork mount for my truck bed, so I can haul my bike without using any bed space, but I didn't want to drill any holes. Here's what I came up with:

I made it from some leftover scrap metal. Bolted on a $20 Fork Block, throw a strap around the frame, and I'm ready to ride without taking any bed space.

Dual purpose, too. I can unbolt the fork block to mount a dune flag.

Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 6:42 Quote
I made a wooden rack for my bed.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r47/m_taylor105/P1010019-1.jpg

Posted: May 7, 2013 at 18:10 Quote
sachou- that "ghetto" fork mount is cool, but lets see some pictures of that Tacoma's rear bumper! that thing looks sweet!

Posted: Oct 1, 2013 at 16:46 Quote
Hey guys.

Amazing work on all the custom racks.

AlexZ28 would you be able to tell be what the spacing between your hooks are? (the space the bikes will be apart)

Judging from your 30" measurment Im guessing trey are around 20cm apart?

Do you have any trouble with pedals hitting the bikes next to them or do you just need to line up the pedals when you load them?

Thank you, your help would be awesome as Im looking at adapting a trailer with a similar design.

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 16:41 Quote
AlexZ28 wrote:
Hooks aren't as perfect as I wanted but they will. Also, about 4-6 inches too tall.

Custom 5 bike rack 1
Custom 5 bike rack 2
Custom 5 bike rack 3
I'm looking for something like this but a single one and I wanna know if its possible to mount a bmx on a commuter bike, mines a fixed gear. Any help or suggestions??

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 16:47 Quote
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lous2l4nxw1qz5u10o1_500.jpg this is closest to what I had in mind just not on any motorcycle

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009168
Mobile Version of Website