Post Your Custom Bike Racks!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Post Your Custom Bike Racks!
Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
Nice DIY bike rack builds; I was able to fabricate my own swing-away vertical hitch bike rack from different ideas here, many thanks. My complete build here: https://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/2017/10/building-ultimate-hitch-bike-carrier-to.html

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 20:16 Quote
willems wrote:
I'll kickstart this thread again. Here's what I have been working on.

Lolo Racks 6 bike carrier

This rack is almost exactly what I had in mind for building. Did you have to do anything special for hanging a dual crown bike as compared to any other bike? Because id like to be able to have both types of bikes or atleast a have couple hooks capable of holding dual crowns.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 13:26 Quote
My home made swing arm bumper, with gas canister, tire carrier and bike rack all in one! not welded by myself

My Home made bike rack
  My Home made bike rack

If some body needs dimensions I will give them with no problems, even willing to do an ACAD

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
Pretty sure you need to sell that 40 to me...

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 13:04 Quote
That Beauty is not for sale haha and it is in Ecuador!. But some specs for you, year 84, 200 k original km, front disc brake, power steering, 4.88 gearing --> everithing OEM ( this is rare in 40s that where not USA versions). The family gem haha. Have some other ones I can send to usa if interested!

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 15:10 Quote
Hell, I'd just drive down! I'm prob good...sure wouldn't mind finding a 90s Nissan Patrol though! But I would never adjust to RHD!

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 16:58 Quote
dirteveryday wrote:
Hell, I'd just drive down! I'm prob good...sure wouldn't mind finding a 90s Nissan Patrol though! But I would never adjust to RHD!

It takes about 1 hour behind the wheel to get used to it. The only annoyance is when switching from lhd to rhd regularly is that you will always be turning on the wipers instead of hitting turn signals. I imported a 95 Cruiser from Japan. A Patrol was my second choice.

Love the rack and swing out setup Febu90, I've got something similar in the works.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 10:06 Quote
Dethphist wrote:
dirteveryday wrote:

It takes about 1 hour behind the wheel to get used to it. The only annoyance is when switching from lhd to rhd regularly is that you will always be turning on the wipers instead of hitting turn signals. I imported a 95 Cruiser from Japan. A Patrol was my second choice.

Love the rack and swing out setup Febu90, I've got something similar in the works.

Thanks Man! it is a LHD. If i can help with anything let me know!

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 10:07 Quote
[Quote="Dethphist"]
dirteveryday wrote:

There is a bit of patrols as well. We do LHD in Ecuador !

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 2:27 Quote
Does anyone have a CAD for fork crown rack mounts? I've finished my rack frame but I haven't been happy with the efforts I've made on the crown mounts...

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 22:27 Quote
Nahguavkire wrote:
Does anyone have a CAD for fork crown rack mounts? I've finished my rack frame but I haven't been happy with the efforts I've made on the crown mounts...

Highly and rightly protected by North Shore racks. Innovate don't immitate. Buy an NSR or think outside the box. The fact that you need a program for such a simple mount suggests you should probably just purchase from those who've put in the time and hard work.

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 3:41 Quote
dirteveryday wrote:
Nahguavkire wrote:

Highly and rightly protected by North Shore racks. Innovate don't immitate. Buy an NSR or think outside the box. The fact that you need a program for such a simple mount suggests you should probably just purchase from those who've put in the time and hard work.

Firstly, I didn't say that I wanted a CAD for NSRs design, if anyone had built their own and wanted to share I would have been grateful.

Secondly, as you so rightly point out, it's a very simple mount, do NSR even have intellectual rights to their mount (I don't know, genuine question)...

Thirdly, I'm not looking for someone to cheat on a test here, I'm stupid busy with work these days and someone would be saving me a couple of hours of what otherwise could be ride time by just offering up some simple dimensions...

This leads me on to my fourth and final point that I'd rather just buy an NS rack and save myself the time but as I live in Europe and NS haven't developed their business enough to offer racks for sale here (the same reason I can't get a bloody Tepui tent for my Land Rover) the cost of importing one is violently prohibitive so let's put that onus on NS.

Thanks though bud, helpful reply.

Edit: I see in your profile you're involved with Recon Racks... FYI for me to buy your 5 bike rack would cost me almost $1700 to get one landed in Ireland with import tax, handling fees and duty...

Posted: May 21, 2018 at 21:24 Quote
NS does have a patent on anything touching the fork crown.
And it's definately unfortunate about the costs of shipping things in from other countries but that's just a fact of life. Definately sucks.

Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 23:48 Quote
dirteveryday wrote:
NS does have a patent on anything touching the fork crown.

You can look up the patents:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7959047
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7900802B2
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8434655
It's basically 3 and 4 prong hooks on the crown.

I know nothing about patent law but it appears a 2 prong crown mount would not infringe.

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 12:43 Quote
It doesn't look like NS filed to extend their patent protection to the EU. lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016281
Mobile Version of Website