Post Your Custom Bike Racks!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Post Your Custom Bike Racks!
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 23:32 Quote
JVance wrote:
It doesn't look like NS filed to extend their patent protection to the EU. lol
Not sure why that's so hilarious...as long as people keep copying everyone nothing new is being created. I find that extremely depressing.
Innovate dont immitate.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 18:25 Quote
dirteveryday wrote:
JVance wrote:
It doesn't look like NS filed to extend their patent protection to the EU. lol
Not sure why that's so hilarious...as long as people keep copying everyone nothing new is being created. I find that extremely depressing.
Innovate dont immitate.


I must've missed the theme of this thread...I was under the impression that it was DIY'ers showing off their racks and answering questions from other DIY'ers who are trying to build their own racks.

You're assuming a lot about the motivation of the individual by focusing on a single design element you think they are copying/infringing upon, when the innovation may not be how the bike attaches to the rack, but perhaps how their rack attaches to their vehicle and/or other purpose-built functionality of the rack that they cannot acquire through a commercially-available product.

As far as any actual infringement, that's the business of NS and their lawyers. It shouldn't stop Nahguavkire from asking about info on the design, or other similar designs, in his search to figure out a solution for his project. Neither you nor I know whether what he produces will be a copy, a significant variation, or a significant improvement...and the latter could certainly be innovation -at least it would seem by your standards, since your racks seem to implement variations/improvements on existing design elements, either in use on others' rack systems, or designs who's patents have expired.

So, innovation or copies in this thread? Handlebar-mounted racks similar to the Softride design...the patent for carrying a bike by the handlebars was submitted in 1974, and not by Softride. It's long expired. Wheel cradles...there's a half-dozen patents, past and present, for hanging a bike by its front wheel, either for car racks or wall racks. Is your definition of innovation the idea, the implementation, or rotating the design 30 degrees? Swing-away/out pivots? Can you even patent a hinge-joint at this point in time?

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 19:25 Quote
JVance wrote:
dirteveryday wrote:
JVance wrote:
It doesn't look like NS filed to extend their patent protection to the EU. lol
Not sure why that's so hilarious...as long as people keep copying everyone nothing new is being created. I find that extremely depressing.
Innovate dont immitate.


I must've missed the theme of this thread...I was under the impression that it was DIY'ers showing off their racks and answering questions from other DIY'ers who are trying to build their own racks.

You're assuming a lot about the motivation of the individual by focusing on a single design element you think they are copying/infringing upon, when the innovation may not be how the bike attaches to the rack, but perhaps how their rack attaches to their vehicle and/or other purpose-built functionality of the rack that they cannot acquire through a commercially-available product.

As far as any actual infringement, that's the business of NS and their lawyers. It shouldn't stop Nahguavkire from asking about info on the design, or other similar designs, in his search to figure out a solution for his project. Neither you nor I know whether what he produces will be a copy, a significant variation, or a significant improvement...and the latter could certainly be innovation -at least it would seem by your standards, since your racks seem to implement variations/improvements on existing design elements, either in use on others' rack systems, or designs who's patents have expired.

So, innovation or copies in this thread? Handlebar-mounted racks similar to the Softride design...the patent for carrying a bike by the handlebars was submitted in 1974, and not by Softride. It's long expired. Wheel cradles...there's a half-dozen patents, past and present, for hanging a bike by its front wheel, either for car racks or wall racks. Is your definition of innovation the idea, the implementation, or rotating the design 30 degrees? Swing-away/out pivots? Can you even patent a hinge-joint at this point in time?

Yeah, the theme WAS people showing off their custom racks. Then Nahgauvkire asked for a CAD drawing of a commercially available product so that he could do an easier job of copying it.

I'm siding with Dirt Every Day on this one. If a person wants to look at another product, then do their own work making their own version of it, go nuts. Then share your result here.

Looking for a blueprint of someone else's hard work? Not cool.

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 2:44 Quote
Lads lads lads... after I asked the question of this supposedly helpful, brotherhood/ community of mountain bikers, thinking that some helpful individual would do me a solid and save me some time, I obviously did do some further research and study into the NS design...

It's two f*cking U-bolts welded together, hardly a feat of extraordinary design and engineering...

All anyone would have been doing was saving me the hassle of working out the spacing of the U-bolts (if I had intended to copy them, I was actually planning to take the measurements and have them cnc'd out of plate metal.

f*ck me you idiots must have too much spare time on your hands if you want to put that much of it into R&Ding a single rack that you are going to build once to get your bike to the mountain.

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 5:35 Quote
Dethphist wrote:
Yeah, the theme WAS people showing off their custom racks. Then Nahgauvkire asked for a CAD drawing of a commercially available product so that he could do an easier job of copying it.

Giving Nahg some credit, he asked for a CAD for a fork crown mount, not specifically NS' fork crown mount, before being shot-down by patent law that really doesn't apply to him or where he lives.

Dethphist wrote:
I'm siding with Dirt Every Day on this one. If a person wants to look at another product, then do their own work making their own version of it, go nuts. Then share your result here.
You might want to re-read Dirt's posts...he is most certainly not endorsing making your own version. Every version you make for yourself takes money out of his pocket.

Dethphist wrote:
Looking for a blueprint of someone else's hard work? Not cool.

Some DIY communities are more open-source about sharing info, but clearly this isn't a DIY community, and this thread apparently wasn't intended to freely share design information...as you stated above, it was intended to show off the junk you bolted/welded together. My mistake entirely.

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
For a typically laid back community, there are sure a lot of control freaks...there is virtually nothing innovative any more, almost all things are a copy of some past effort with minor modifications. But marketing geeks will preach otherwise...

Companies that use good design and customer service will always thrive. Companies that use the courts may survive, but no one likes them...

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 11:14 Quote
Funny that someone needs to get but hurt about about a fork crown hook knock off, 4 years after the thread started.

FWIW, on page one there is a NSR knock off, where they guy explains how he made the crown hooks, with off the shelf parts.

.... and copying a design, for personal use ...off a company that clearly doesn't care about continuing to protect their patent, Come on ..give me a break. Its not like the guy asked for a CAD drawing so he could mass produce racks to sell. Butt hurt much?

Posted: Jul 5, 2018 at 21:07 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
...off a company that clearly doesn't care about continuing to protect their patent, Come on ..give me a break. Its not like the guy asked for a CAD drawing so he could mass produce racks to sell. Butt hurt much?


In 15 years they've also failed to pay patent fees twice. I'm not advocating copying their design, but generally a company that wants to zealously protect their patents doesn't let things fall behind on their patent.

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 at 21:59 Quote
I don’t know if anyone is still on this thread but here is mine. I made it out of scrap so it only cost me time.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 22:03 Quote
Bryanmtbjeep wrote:
I don’t know if anyone is still on this thread but here is mine. I made it out of scrap so it only cost me time.

Pictures?

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
Updates to my Eurovan rack:

The fork mounts were a solid solution for hanging (up to) 4 bikes off the back of my van, but...removing/installing wheels x4 was a pain; stowing 4 wheels became an issue when we added the rooftop tent; the chance of missing the fork-mount and hitting the glass with the fork was high (did it several times...thankfully, no breakage); Rock Shox RS-1 lowers do their own thing; and, recent rear-end collision narrowly missed my bike, all bikes were mounted pretty low.

I had been mulling the idea of replacing the fork-mounts with wheel baskets, and an upcoming camping trip to Pisgah kicked my butt into gear.

The existing rack is 2" square tube. The wheel baskets use 2" (ID) receiver tube to slip over the existing stubs on the rack:


One pair done...almost. Even though the trailing loop is solid, I will add some reinforcement from the trailing loop to the base and leading loop.

All bikes sit higher than the previous design. It won't help much if I get hit by a bro-dozer, but most sedans should hit under the rear wheels of the bikes.
You can see the height(s) where the bikes were previously mounted from the position of the rear wheel-straps on the trays.


Fits a 2.6" tire...if I ever run a wider tire, I guess I'll make another basket.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
Rack mods, continued...

Finished the remaining two wheel baskets, and added reinforcement to the trailing loops.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 14:23 Quote
I'm digging it, nice job.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 15:48 Quote
@JVance
Nice, I dig your wheel baskets.

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026231
Mobile Version of Website