CT Riding

PB Forum :: USA - East
CT Riding
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 19:14 Quote
I have, theres a few that interest us, I just figured I'd ask here.

Posted: Dec 17, 2018 at 7:59 Quote
Hey guys, I'm losing it at the shop every day not being able to ride. Is there anywhere in southern CT that rides okay in the winter? I don't want to mess up anyones trails, but I was thinking it might do okay if the ground is frozen. Tell me if I'm wrong

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 4:29 Quote
Roosevelt forest in Stratford is a good winter spot

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
Any new bike park rumors for this coming season? remember mt. southington LOL.

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
Any new bike park rumors for this coming season? remember mt. southington LOL.

Would be awesome if it were true. It's lame that powder ridge is so poorly done too. They could have some awesome stuff but sadly there build free has other thoughts

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 23:27 Quote
PR looks ok now. I skipped riding this season, but I’ll be back for this year. I’m gonna go again.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 5:21 Quote
Can confirm PR is not OK as of yet. They have a LOT of work that needs to be done before it is worth it as a viable riding destination.

Janky ladder building (though Dave and his crew took care of most of these issues at the end of season), high speed trail mergers (dear lord some of these were so bad i'm surprised more people didn't get hurt) are certainly on the short list of things that seriously need to have been hashed out from the beginning of the park. And drainage. oh god water drainage is a huge issue there.

Original trail crew there really didn't know what they were doing as an outsider looking in. Not to any fault of their own, getting hired as someone to move dirt and dig with little to no mountain bike experience as a day job is a job nonetheless. Put that on ownership/management to not fully build out a legitimate trail plan with any sort of outside knowledge to make it work as well and efficiently as possible.

Overall, having only gone for that huge BMX jam sometime mid summer... 3.5/10. The potential is there in the scheme of things... lets be real. I feel like this place probably works for the beginner demographic of mountain bikers (tame trails, not all that technical, clear go around lines for the jumps/drops). They just have an insanely long way to go if they want to make that work if they want to draw in and maintain a core (semi local intermediate/expert) crowd.

TL;DR - PR is still not good, ok, etc. They're making strides by bringing in dirt sculpt to help construct new and rebuild existing trails, but they collectively have a long road ahead of them. As someone who grew up down the road from there, I'm excited to see what the future holds, but definitely keep your expectations low...

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
ctbiker888 wrote:
Can confirm PR is not OK as of yet. They have a LOT of work that needs to be done before it is worth it as a viable riding destination.

Janky ladder building (though Dave and his crew took care of most of these issues at the end of season), high speed trail mergers (dear lord some of these were so bad i'm surprised more people didn't get hurt) are certainly on the short list of things that seriously need to have been hashed out from the beginning of the park. And drainage. oh god water drainage is a huge issue there.

Original trail crew there really didn't know what they were doing as an outsider looking in. Not to any fault of their own, getting hired as someone to move dirt and dig with little to no mountain bike experience as a day job is a job nonetheless. Put that on ownership/management to not fully build out a legitimate trail plan with any sort of outside knowledge to make it work as well and efficiently as possible.

Overall, having only gone for that huge BMX jam sometime mid summer... 3.5/10. The potential is there in the scheme of things... lets be real. I feel like this place probably works for the beginner demographic of mountain bikers (tame trails, not all that technical, clear go around lines for the jumps/drops). They just have an insanely long way to go if they want to make that work if they want to draw in and maintain a core (semi local intermediate/expert) crowd.

TL;DR - PR is still not good, ok, etc. They're making strides by bringing in dirt sculpt to help construct new and rebuild existing trails, but they collectively have a long road ahead of them. As someone who grew up down the road from there, I'm excited to see what the future holds, but definitely keep your expectations low...

I think that's a spot on assessment. With such a small amount of vert, it's a long wait to get to the top for what amounts to a 1 minute run if you are lucky. This problem will not be fixed without a major reworking of the trails and a much more comprehensive usage of the land. With their dedication to keeping the ski runs clean and a lack of investment in thought out trails as you well explained..... The lift is simply a massive deal breaker for me. I can not stomach paying ANY amount of money for less than ten minutes saddle time all day. Hard pass.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 6:57 Quote
ctbiker888 wrote:

This is what I keep hearing. 45 minutes for me to get there and yet I had a season pass at Thunder last year instead, even with it being 2 hours away. If they can get their shit together I’d probably be there every week.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 22:22 Quote
ugh. disturbing to hear. I thought the new dirt movers would have turned it around. the jump trail looks fun at least.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 5:25 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
ugh. disturbing to hear. I thought the new dirt movers would have turned it around. the jump trail looks fun at least.

Don't get me wrong DirtSculpt helped take their trails in some serious strides towards a reputable trail/mountain establishment to the local CT Mtb community, they just have a long way to go...

It's like taking the saying "Rome wasn't built in a day", and prefacing it with someone dropped an absolute bomb on where it's planned right before groundbreaking.

For me, living in FCT, I'll go batter by brains around at Creek instead. That's a professional level of jank i can get down with.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 8:58 Quote
Moving to Danbury area. Besides the great spots in Westchester NY, looking to explore the trail scene of CT. Suggestions on must ride locations? Not against driving any distances nor helping out on dig/ trail maintenance weekends either.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
mgassner34 wrote:
Moving to Danbury area. Besides the great spots in Westchester NY, looking to explore the trail scene of CT. Suggestions on must ride locations? Not against driving any distances nor helping out on dig/ trail maintenance weekends either.

Old Mine Park in Trumbull is closest. Good for everything from XC climbing to shit your pants downhills. If you don't mind the drive Westwoods in Guilford (bring a buddy, seriously) and Rockland in Madison are two of my other go-tos.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
For local trails check out huntington- good for a spin but nothing too wild. Upper Paugusset state forest is fun but idk if it's been cleared. Also there's a guy who is intent on ruining anything fun built there. He lurks on this website.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 12:54 Quote
Depending on what you're looking for - there are ok trails in Danbury/Ridgefield if you're looking to blow a couple of hours close to home. Check out the FFC NEMBA page for more details.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019774
Mobile Version of Website