Overcoming Fear Of Speed?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Overcoming Fear Of Speed?
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 at 7:33 Quote
Mr-Horse wrote:
A complete newb myself, I don't have the benefit of a local bike inspired trail systemCry

Instead, I've been working up my nerves up by riding a radio tower service road that has some 20 to 30 degree sections with some lower angled sections between. It's a poorly maintained road too, so of course it has washed out sections and sections loaded with loose, golf ball sized gravel. The consequences of crashing (with armor on) are mostly rash-like. It's just enough to make me a little nervous, but it does afford room for improvement in speed. The gravel sections are dicey enough to to improve my handling skills.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this learning method?

If you can ride flat and loose corners at speed you can ride any corner really , so yeah I'd say it's good practice.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 at 5:23 Quote
feedtheflame wrote:
im just starting out in dh/fr....but its hard for to not drag the brakes on even simple trails like the ones in sfu. Everytime i start to pick up speed it reaches a point where im not ready for everything thats coming up and i feel out of control...which is also when i usually fall. Does it just come with the territory, being new to this and all and i just need to ride more? Or is the fear more something on its own that i need to ignore and push even farther? Im nervous about my first trip to whistler...which will be the next Sat whenever its dry and not raining...

Try hooking up with some more experienced riders and try following them and their lines, also try to learn / session the same track as much as possible as this will teach you how fast you can ride into each section, you can then adapt this for when you ride somewhere new

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009029
Mobile Version of Website