Strongest DH wheels

PB Forum :: Downhill
Strongest DH wheels
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 at 6:01 Quote
Couldn't find anything recent in the search.

Looking for the toughest DH rims. Price and weight aren't really a factor. I'm a big guy riding east coast DH with lots of rocks and I destroy wheels. Yah yah, I know, I should just not hit the rocks, alas.

What are the toughest rims out there that will stand up to my kind of abuse?

Posted: Jul 16, 2012 at 23:40 Quote
mattylinds wrote:

Looking for the toughest DH rims. Price and weight aren't really a factor. I'm a big guy riding east coast DH with lots of rocks and I destroy wheels. Yah yah, I know, I should just not hit the rocks, alas.

mavic ex 729. i already broke the bearings on both my hubs twice but the rims are still fine

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 at 8:45 Quote
Sun MTX, Arrow DXX/DHX are pretty indestructlble. I have mtx laced too hope bulb and they have taken all I have given them. Without a need to true or any damage.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 at 10:07 Quote
bendikph wrote:

mavic ex 729. i already broke the bearings on both my hubs twice but the rims are still fine

I would have to agree. I had gotten a set from an '05 Giant Faith 1. I had owned both of them with no problems and very little maintenance until last season. 6 years with no troubles, that is until I cased a 30 foot road gap. Considereing how hard I hit my rear tire it only dinged badly. It didn't explode or crack in two, and I still limped/rode the bike the rest of the way down.

I also have had good luck with my set of DT Swiss FR2350's. Still true and still take a pounding. I'm sure there are people who would just say "Swiss Cheese" but I haven't had an issue other than casing a step up. (I'm making myself sound like a hack) Same trail (Addiction, Kelowna, BC)I cased the descent size step up at the start of the trail and same thing as the 729's. Still rode limped/rode down the trail. Rims are 4 years old now.

Those would be my suggestions:

-Mavic 729's
-DT Swiss FR2350's (DT Swiss offers FX 1950's now, I have no input on these)

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 at 15:13 Quote
I would also recommend the Mavic 729. Other than that I'd be looking at wheel sets such as the Deemax or Easton Havoc DH. if you don't care about weight there is also the THE Eliminator lol... Quality on the build is most important.

FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 0:12 Quote
mattylinds wrote:

Deemax are a fantastic set - I had a set and couldn't ding em even in very poorly landed big gap jumps- saying that (being as they didn't fit my new frame) I'm now using Brave Machine Rims on hope pro 2s, I can't bend em and can't praise them enough, weights pretty good too!!

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 6:26 Quote
I have 729s on my Glory, and Mag30s on my Bullit.
729s are good, but my Mag30s have handled alot more abuse with fewer issues

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 9:56 Quote
my vote goes to atomlab pimp wheels, I have had a set for almost 6 years and they only have a small hop now.

FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 11:36 Quote
dytrdr6 wrote:
my vote goes to atomlab pimp wheels, I have had a set for almost 6 years and they only have a small hop now.
Completely forgot about them , I had a set on my Tomac look ace and are indestructible

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 at 14:44 Quote
If you want tough rims get the Mavic 823s, little or no difference between them and DeeMax rims if you look at the cross sections except you can stick them onto any hub you want(no stupid spoke nipple adapter thingys).

Tore the whole centre out of my front wheel in Chatel in France last year, snapped ten spokes. And what was on my front wheel this year in chalet, the same rim!! Smile

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 at 14:54 Quote
dytrdr6 wrote:
Got to agree with you there, ive been running Atomlabs for the last 7 months and ive only had to true once a few weeks after having built them up. That i put down to them being freshly built on new spokes and the spokes having settled in.

Posted: Jul 20, 2012 at 23:36 Quote
Sun MTX, Alex 36. Exotic, proprietary, few spokes a disadvantage. Proper build and maintenance. Read terrain and learn the line. Beeing heavy a problemBig Grin

Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 19:00 Quote
Mag-30's win, your hub/spokes will grenade long before the hoops go, want the strongest? say F*** it to weight.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 15:46 Quote
Sun Double tracks also seem to be nigh on indestructable.

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 at 2:35 Quote
MonsterThirteen wrote:
dytrdr6 wrote:
Got to agree with you there, ive been running Atomlabs for the last 7 months and ive only had to true once a few weeks after having built them up. That i put down to them being freshly built on new spokes and the spokes having settled in.
i've never had to or have ever seen a Mag30 need to be trued, however pay attention to your tension.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013561
Mobile Version of Website