Automotive General discussion.

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Automotive General discussion.
Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
thebillygoat6000 wrote:
StUone7 wrote:
So water pump in the Heep started leaking on Tuesday. Go to replace it today, 3 of the 4 mounting bolts come out no problem, fourth one the head shears right off... f*ckin annoyed. There's about 3/8" of bolt sticking out from the block. Put some PB Blaster on there and hoping we can get it out here with either vice grips or an EZ Out.
just make sure you give yourself plenty of acces to it by taking off the power steering pump. I just did this on my buddys xj, lock down those vice grips and it should come out easy. Now that the load is off the bolt it should be easier to turn. Hope this helps

Yea have to take the power steering out of the way, gotta get that bracket off and would be really hard otherwise. After sitting for a while with some PB it finally came out. We gave it a few goes and it just didn’t want to for a while. Then my dumb ass dropped the new washer inside the block, somehow was able to fish that out. The new pumps have poor casting and don’t fit as well as the stock and is just a pain.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 19:15 Quote
Any recommendations for double dins? Mine's starting to shit the bed so I'm looking at the Sony XAV-AX5000, it's pretty new but seems to be pretty well reviewed.

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 at 15:58 Quote
Ugh. Right when I get into money saving mode, I find Borla makes headers for my car. Currently in my shopping basket in AutoAnything with new front rotors/pads and an aFe intake.

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 at 20:15 Quote
I can relate, finally save enough to get a decent holiday and I buy coil overs, then my accelerator cable snaps, then my heater core starts pissing coolant into my passenger footwell. Oh the joys of daily driving a 30 year old car.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 4:40 Quote
So, was doing my brakes with a friend last night, and found out what had been making the horrendous noise. Rear driver side had a pad that wore all the way through and now the caliper was being used as a pad. Really wishing Hawk had gotten my rotors to me a bit sooner so I could have changed everything out before this happened. To add to that, was driving my friend’s ghetto ass Jetta to work, and got pulled over because my tail lights weren’t on. Couldn’t find the insurance because this car is a mess. While looking for the insurance the cop had noticed an empty van of beer (mine from the night before) and some prescriptions of some sort of my friends I took out of the glove box while looking for insurance and registration. All that happened within about 7-8 minutes of waking up at like 4:45 this morning. Good times. Hopefully will be able to track down an OEM caliper today and get this shit sorted.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 7:19 Quote
Man that’s lucky you caught that now, seen a wheel just straight lock up because the heat caused by the piston grinding on the rotor, which caused the caliper to seize on. Had to be towed on a flatbed.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 7:22 Quote
Check on rock auto for the caliper if you cant find one at a local spot.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 8:46 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
So, was doing my brakes with a friend last night, and found out what had been making the horrendous noise. Rear driver side had a pad that wore all the way through and now the caliper was being used as a pad. Really wishing Hawk had gotten my rotors to me a bit sooner so I could have changed everything out before this happened. To add to that, was driving my friend’s ghetto ass Jetta to work, and got pulled over because my tail lights weren’t on. Couldn’t find the insurance because this car is a mess. While looking for the insurance the cop had noticed an empty van of beer (mine from the night before) and some prescriptions of some sort of my friends I took out of the glove box while looking for insurance and registration. All that happened within about 7-8 minutes of waking up at like 4:45 this morning. Good times. Hopefully will be able to track down an OEM caliper today and get this shit sorted.

Beer cans and prescription pills. Lol

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 9:15 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:

Beer cans and prescription pills. Lol
I know. Beer can was from when he picked me up last night, pills were his. Just a comedy of errors
Glad NAPA has calipers. Will get all the fixings to finish the job after work. Hopefully this rotor comes off a bit easier than the other one. Other one took a solid 45 minutes or more hitting it with a hammer to get the ‘rust weld’ broke. I love winter, but sure as shit hate the stuff they put on the road. Rusts the shit out of cars, and makes working on them crappy as hell.
Would have got the job done a lot sooner, ordered the rotors and pads when the shop told me my rear brakes needed replaced, just Hawk took forever to ship my rotors. Oh well, get to learn how to change a caliper today.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 16:53 Quote
Oh man, dealing with rust is hell. Wheel hubs on my truck are like an hour to do. Literally 11 fasteners per side. Well, they seized right in when I did the first batch. Torch, porta power with spreaders, sledge hammer, and three hours later per side. Plus now I'm looking for a new cab for my truck, cab corners and rockers are beyond repair. Snowy climate is a bitch.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 18:38 Quote
So all said and done took about 6 hours of work. Not looking forward to doing the front when it comes.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 18:46 Quote
Hey folks, quick question. Got a 2017 crosstrek, only 7k miles on it. Most people I know with the car (like follow on IG) get 26-30mpg while I average about 20. I filled up today, averaged 20.4 on this tank, and that was with 170 highway miles and 80 town driving miles. Any thoughts on why its so low?

Notes: I'll accelerate hard if I'm the first one at a light (doubtful that has much of an effect) Usually cruise at about 75-80 on the highway, and my town area is pretty hilly

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 20:06 Quote
ArcherMatt wrote:
Hey folks, quick question. Got a 2017 crosstrek, only 7k miles on it. Most people I know with the car (like follow on IG) get 26-30mpg while I average about 20. I filled up today, averaged 20.4 on this tank, and that was with 170 highway miles and 80 town driving miles. Any thoughts on why its so low?

Notes: I'll accelerate hard if I'm the first one at a light (doubtful that has much of an effect) Usually cruise at about 75-80 on the highway, and my town area is pretty hilly

do you have a roof rack? those are good for a solid 5mpg drop for a small car like that.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 20:20 Quote
Also going that fast will do it too. You can get 30 easy enough I you go 55-60 everywhere on highways.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 20:23 Quote
Who the f*ck goes 55-60 on highways...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016965
Mobile Version of Website