PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Automotive General discussion.
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 0:57 Quote
fleon12 wrote:
Tahoe k1500 diesel
My truck, 1995 k1500 TD 6.5
Sitting on 33s

Very happy with it, only need the replace the gear for a lower one, it has 3.73s, maybe 4.56 will be good? I want to tow (1.5 tons Max) but also I want it to feel stronger in the initial pull, engine and turbo are running good, passing 2k rpm the turbo feels with good power, but anything under 2k rpm the truck feels kinda slow to accelerate, I will be happy hitting Max speed of 120 km/hr in highway

Nice looking truck! Looks like it's in good shape. I have a '98 C1500 myself, but mine just has the 4.3 V6. For now anyway! Maybe I will do an LS swap later on.

Those 6.5 engines are pretty good, though they are known to have issues with the injection pumps. I'm not a diesel tech, but I know you can adjust the injection timing on those engines, maybe it is just a little bit off? Having that checked and adjusted might get you back some low end power. 3.73 gears should be just fine for towing and daily use, I think the 4.56 might be a bit extreme. Sure, it'll give you a bigger jump off the line, but your cruising RPM just keeping up with traffic on the highway will be much higher, killing fuel economy and maybe causing other problems. If it were me, I'd just keep the 3.73s and tune the engine for more power. There's plenty of room to make more power with those turbo diesel engines!

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 17:21 Quote
Well got some tubes and completed the bumper Just need some paint and finish the lower section
Winch overkill yeah Need to fabricate the winch plate and mounts to the frame

Building the bumper while it does not run, got the winch, is definitely overkill, but was about the same price than a 12k lb ones (this one is 17k)

Still need to paint it, rig a paint booth in the garage, already sanded, so need primer and black.... but Im in lock-down, dad got covid and cant go out because of sanitary order....

Been looking at compound turbo set ups, going with a 4D56 TDI engine, going with 18 psi, water meth and a front intercooler, but want to keep it from low rpms so I get usable power...

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
So whos tired of melting turbo drain lines :s

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 3:04 Quote
Winches are great. I've considered putting one on my fwd van but fear looking like a right knobhead.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
Well getting unstuck is great haha

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
Exactly. Might look like a knob but at least not a stuck knob

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Most of the time you can mount them behind the bumper, so that way it is hidden

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
The way I’m going to try do mine is have a winch plate on a 50mm trailer hitch, and weld a 50mm receiver on the front bar, run wiring to the front and rear, so I can recover forwards or backwards, and it’s removable, so you can leave it at home if you’re just driving around town.

Just need to find someone who can make a tube steel front bar locally.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
I want to get a mechanical for the front and install this one on the rear

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
I have never heard of a mechanical winch? Is that like a come-along?

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Thepureface wrote:
I have never heard of a mechanical winch? Is that like a come-along?

Nope, PTO on the transfer case then a shaft goes to the front and moves the winch, most reliable system.

Only issue I have is sourcing the pto for the montero as it is pretty rare... but the idea is to make a truggy in the future and use a NP205 transfer

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Oh that’s pretty cool sounds great if your transfer case has a pto

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018086
Mobile Version of Website