Automotive General discussion.

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Automotive General discussion.
Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 16:59 Quote
Nobble wrote:
jespinal wrote:
mountainbiker929 wrote:
I had a 94 4.0 HO with the ax15 manual trans. It was great off road, but that trans has really weak synchros. Super reliable engine but man was it leaky. I put 2 rear mains in it and both of them leaked after a few thousand miles. I had a 3.5 inch short arm lift with 33" tires and lunchbox lockers. Mine also had full frame stiffeners underneath it. That thing was soo much better off-road than my 03 wj with 6 inch long arms, and 35s especially in the sand and mud.
I won't do anything else than fire roads at the beginning, truth is I really like nature photography and I want to make a shuttle/camping rig so I can go get lost in the mountains once or twice a month

On the same note, how reliable is the 2.5 turbo diesel engine? One popped up locally and I am concerned with the gas consumption, here gas is really expensive

Right now I have two options for cherocars

A 4.0 from 2000 manual really clean barely above 100k km for 6 grand but needs to have one noisy axle checked

An auto XJ from 93(no taxes) 154k 4.0 HO, decent state, bone stock barely any amenities paint is a bit rough but interior is decent

Or I can look at 4runners from the same period which are within the same price range. I don't want to blow too much money into either option since this car will be basically thrashed and I have to pay for my mk2 golf restoration as well
third gen 4runners are damn near bulletproof, if they're the same price it would be an easy decision for me.

They're IFS so they drive better on the street, but they aren't quite as capable in some situations. It sounds like you want more of an overland rig than a wheeler anyway so it wouldn't really be an issue.
Honestly Nobble you nailed it, basically this is what I want to build
photo

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 19:17 Quote
I would do a third gen 4runner then, there are really only 2 weak spots on them. The Lower Ball Joints, and the radiator/tranny cooler on the 3.4l auto. The powertrain will pretty easily run 300,000+ miles.

A lot of the 96-00 limited package ones came with a rear e-locker from the factory too.

Best build guide I've found: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/197591-absaloms-cookie-cutter-4runner-builds-new-updated.html

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
Someone is coming to look at my WJ tomorrow. Still not sure if I want to sell my f350 too and get 1 nicer truck or maybe buy another fun project car to replace my Volvo 244 I sold when I got the jeep. Maybe an e28 or an mr2 or something.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
mountainbiker929 wrote:
Someone is coming to look at my WJ tomorrow. Still not sure if I want to sell my f350 too and get 1 nicer truck or maybe buy another fun project car to replace my Volvo 244 I sold when I got the jeep. Maybe an e28 or an mr2 or something.

+1 on the e28. Big Grin

loved the 244's though...

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 15:06 Quote
adm750 wrote:
mountainbiker929 wrote:

+1 on the e28. Big Grin

I agree! The E28 is awesome, if you can still find a decent one.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 6:38 Quote
greywolf999 wrote:
adm750 wrote:
mountainbiker929 wrote:

+1 on the e28. Big Grin

I bought a 160k original mile '85 528e auto in fall of 2019.....I had planned on driving it that winter then turn it over to our son for his first car in spring.... (he'd have to get his hands dirty though....not for free!). It was a clean, solid car, and a decent runner. Very underwhelming and perfect brick for a teenager (like an unmodded 244 would be !!). wife hated it so it got sold within a few months. Shame...he would have had a nice 4-door, rear drive car...sunroof...and very clean. something he could work on and keep nice while he finished high school and got into college.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
adm750 wrote:
greywolf999 wrote:
adm750 wrote:

+1 on the e28. Big Grin

I bought a 160k original mile '85 528e auto in fall of 2019.....I had planned on driving it that winter then turn it over to our son for his first car in spring.... (he'd have to get his hands dirty though....not for free!). It was a clean, solid car, and a decent runner. Very underwhelming and perfect brick for a teenager (like an unmodded 244 would be !!). wife hated it so it got sold within a few months. Shame...he would have had a nice 4-door, rear drive car...sunroof...and very clean. something he could work on and keep nice while he finished high school and got into college.
I wish my parents would get me a car. Definitely would buy an MR2.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
Have a 4 door e30 318 sitting on the front yard, thinking about buying it, but I'm kind of done with projects and want to finish the Montero first

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
DaFreerider44 wrote:
.... I wish my parents would get me a car. Definitely would buy an MR2.

I hear ya man...I'm normally don't subscribe to that parent supplies the first car bit...but there's some history behind why......lol

I bought my first car. mostly 'cause my older sisters either f**ked up, or wrecked everything my dad passed along to them. Shoot....I was the family pit crew. He taught me how to work on cars but when they got messed up, or needed maintenance, it was usually me doing the work...So, from age 10 on....it was me.

So pops comes into my troom one night...all pissed off. like 230am. i think I was in 9th grade...He kicked my bed, waking me up, yelling "GET THE F**K UP AND GO DOWNSTAIRS AND WAIT FOR THE G***D***TOW TRUCK...!!!!"

as he storms out of my room and down the stairs, he's yelling "...AND WHEN YOU NEED A CAR, YOU'RE NOT GETTING A F**KING THING... !!!"...I'M TIRED OF THIS BULLSHIT...!!!"

'course, I'm like...."wtf climbed up your ass...?" he bolts out of the driveway and I go sit on the front porch...

soon enough here comes this wrecker with our '63 impala behind it....tow driver asking me where I want it. Car has this Vee smashed into the front end that looks like someone ran it into a bridge abutment. I direct him up the driveway...

Turns out that the youngest of my three older sisters, her BF, and another couple were out partying and crashed into this big ass telephone pole. broke the pole into 4 pcs...and f**ked that poor Impala up. He left to go collect them from the hospital.

needless to say I bought my first car myself. 72 GMC Jimmy 2 door, 2wd with the 350 in it and the removable fiberglass roof. . paid $100 for it with my pizza money... Wink

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
adm750 wrote:
DaFreerider44 wrote:
.... I wish my parents would get me a car. Definitely would buy an MR2.

I hear ya man...I'm normally don't subscribe to that parent supplies the first car bit...but there's some history behind why......lol

I bought my first car. mostly 'cause my older sisters either f**ked up, or wrecked everything my dad passed along to them. Shoot....I was the family pit crew. He taught me how to work on cars but when they got messed up, or needed maintenance, it was usually me doing the work...So, from age 10 on....it was me.

So pops comes into my troom one night...all pissed off. like 230am. i think I was in 9th grade...He kicked my bed, waking me up, yelling "GET THE F**K UP AND GO DOWNSTAIRS AND WAIT FOR THE G***D***TOW TRUCK...!!!!"

as he storms out of my room and down the stairs, he's yelling "...AND WHEN YOU NEED A CAR, YOU'RE NOT GETTING A F**KING THING... !!!"...I'M TIRED OF THIS BULLSHIT...!!!"

'course, I'm like...."wtf climbed up your ass...?" he bolts out of the driveway and I go sit on the front porch...

soon enough here comes this wrecker with our '63 impala behind it....tow driver asking me where I want it. Car has this Vee smashed into the front end that looks like someone ran it into a bridge abutment. I direct him up the driveway...

Turns out that the youngest of my three older sisters, her BF, and another couple were out partying and crashed into this big ass telephone pole. broke the pole into 4 pcs...and f**ked that poor Impala up. He left to go collect them from the hospital.

needless to say I bought my first car myself. 72 GMC Jimmy 2 door, 2wd with the 350 in it and the removable fiberglass roof. . paid $100 for it with my pizza money... Wink
Respect. I just need a beater to drift and daily . Looking at a G35 or a 325i.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
G35's are kinda pigs.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 5:21 Quote
oink lol

I think the G35 would be a good platform to eff with and make it a fun car, but I have no clue what their base personality is like.

The 325 (regardless of model year...) is sooooo balanced. verrrrrrrrry easy to slide around, stay composed, and not let you get in over your head. You can still get in over your head, but.....well, you get my point..

the BMWs are built to push. They figured the unskilled average joe behind the wheel can handle understeer better than they can oversteer. Understeer is a lot more safe. But you can dial that out with a few proper changes like an adjustable rear sway bar...

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 5:37 Quote
adm750 wrote:
oink lol

I think the G35 would be a good platform to eff with and make it a fun car, but I have no clue what their base personality is like.

The 325 (regardless of model year...) is sooooo balanced. verrrrrrrrry easy to slide around, stay composed, and not let you get in over your head. You can still get in over your head, but.....well, you get my point..

the BMWs are built to push. They figured the unskilled average joe behind the wheel can handle understeer better than they can oversteer. Understeer is a lot more safe. But you can dial that out with a few proper changes like an adjustable rear sway bar...
The G35 is literally the same car as the 350z. Infiniti literally took everything out of the 350, made it ugly and slapped a g35 logo on it. Which means it has the same aftermarket support. But it seems the 325i has better out of the box handling then?

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
DaFreerider44 wrote:
adm750 wrote:
oink lol

The G35 is literally the same car as the 350z. Infiniti literally took everything out of the 350, made it ugly and slapped a g35 logo on it. Which means it has the same aftermarket support. But it seems the 325i has better out of the box handling then?
the G35 is pretty far from "literally the same car as a 350z" it's got 2 extra seats, about 200lb heavier, and has a wheelbase that's around 8" longer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.037517
Mobile Version of Website