Sony Vegas users thread

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Sony Vegas users thread
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 at 4:20 Quote
Hi there.
I thought all Vegas users could just join this thread to help people who don't know how to use it/have some questions about the program.

I have a little problem. I don't know what's the best way of saving an .avi file for the internet. I mean, I don't want it to be 200mb for 1min.
How do I save the movie and still maintain a decent quality?

Posted: Dec 24, 2007 at 11:38 Quote
hey man..
mmmm vegas..

yeah so if i were you, i wouldnt be using .avi for loading things onto the internet.
avi is way too large a file type for that kind of stuff.
however, if you really are set on using that extension, use the DivX converter to do a compression on it. there's a free trial download around somewhere.

.mpg or .mpg2 will probably suit you a bit better. .wmv or .mov are ok as well.

however.. im not really that much of a compression and file format guru.

Posted: Dec 24, 2007 at 16:46 Quote
Let me explain my question a little better:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/x401x/Image36.png
I don't want these little annoying stripes (see link) to appear every time someone moves and .avi seemed to be the best answer.

Is there any other solution (except buying a $900+ videocamera)?

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 7:11 Quote
One more thing: how to slow down sound in Vegas?

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 16:18 Quote
401-401 wrote:
One more thing: how to slow down sound in Vegas?

Slowing down in Vegas is alittle tricky.

-Right click on the clip you would like to slow down
-Properties
-Playback rate (below 1.000 is slower, above is faster...I think anything below .500 makes the quality of the shot terrible. And you can only speed it up to 4.000)

Ive been using the program for a little while now...unfortunatly they don't show many basic things in their tutorials.

Edit*
Make sure you save your file at the same or smaller size than what your camera has recorded it at (otherwise you will get those bars). Your camera should be 720x480?

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 22:15 Quote
noo you dont have to do all that for slowing things down.. it really is much simpler.

HOT KEYS!

hold CTRL, drag to desired length. tah-dah!

as for the interlacing lines.. and pre-sorry for the mass of reading here...

motion artifacts are unfortunately a fact of the digital life. your camera shoots 60i, interlaced video. even in a progressive-scan style camera (24p, 60p etc.) you get motion artifacts. anyways, that means that your camera automatically creates those little lines to simulate motion and do frame rate crap. there's a lot technical business about it that i mostly dont know.

i think youre right, .avi will probably create less interlace artifacts.. but it is an enormous file size.

if youre set on using .avi, get the DivX converter or any other video compresser.. i just know DivX to be the best. im pretty sure it handles .avi.

otherwise just play with the settings because the whole deinterlace process is really complicated and will destroy the motion that is critical in an action video. unless... isnt there a deinterlacing filter on vegas? hmm.. if its there then its worth a try, i guess.

also, like matt said, make sure you havent stretched it somehow.. make sure when you load the footage the program knows what kind of aspect ratio it is. so like, that grab looks like 16:9, right? make sure everything: capture settings, project settings, output settings, are all ready to except 16:9, not 4:3. and i dont know if PAL or whatever makes a difference.. but youre probably not shooting that.

one more thing! letterboxing.. thats the black bars on top and below.. make sure when you render that it has the right setting. im not sure which one that is, to be honest.. haha.

what settings did you have it for when you got that screen shot?

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 6:31 Quote
^Ohhh thanks man! Learn something everyday.

Too be honesty I was kind of pissed when I figured it out, thought there had to be an easier way, and there is.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 9:00 Quote
Well, I've tried to put everything in 16:9, but it looks quite ugly (I turned off the letterbox thingy too).

As regards the Reduce Interlace filter, I'll try to look if it is actually there.

Anyone knows how to make a title pass behind a MOVING subject? I know how to do it with still objects, but is it possible to do it with MOVING ones? (like LaRock does?)

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 14:15 Quote
yeah i did this once.

the situation was i had a tracking system i set up, so the whole camera moved to the right looking through the legs of table and chairs. the title was fixed in place on the screen, but it moved across the subject.. see?
so it went behind a leg of the table and came out the other side.

this is how i did it.

2 copies of the exact same title, different tracks. (can also be the same track, depends on the situation. for this one, i needed two).

1st title
use the slide transition (i think). or whichever one you think would work.. the transition will make the title disappear starting at one end of the word and moving over to the other side, get it? like sliding a piece of paper over an image. then do a lot of pain-in-the-behind fine tuning with keyframes in the transition menu to set the right speed at which the word disappears. this gives the illusion that the word is going behind the thing you want it to.

2nd title
do the same thing as with the first, but do it opposite. get it?

sorry, that was really complicated, and it will only work in some situations.

there might be a better way to do it.. with a mask or something that follows the object along and then covers the titles.. actually come to think of it..

try this.

use your skills that i know you have, and cut out the object that you want to have cover the title.. like you did in that video where the jumps pop up and stuff... then IN THEORY it should move across the frame like it normally would.. although i cannot guarantee this. there should be a way to accomplish that, but i cant be sure as i havent tried.
then, in theory again, all you would need to do is lay that edited clip over a copy of the original clip in another track.. and also lay the edited clip above the title track.. and the title would appear in the frame, but would travel underneath the clip above it.

i dunno.. its worth a try i guess.

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 16:48 Quote
I thought of this in an easier way:

1) Is it possible to use the "green screen" thing in Vegas? I mean, we have a subject and a huge "green screen" behind him (colour doesn't have to be green, just a wall in one colour e.g. yellow).

2) we replace the "green screen" with a background movie.

3) we insert a text in the background movie.

4) we nest the tracks so that text appears behind the subject.

Now, this is pure theory because I do not know if the "green screen" thing is possible in Vegas. My friend told me that he used to do such things in Vegas 3.0 (that was long ago and I wasn't really paying attention).

Any ideas?

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 7:05 Quote
I just got vegas for X-mas and I was wondering if you could give out some tips on how to start using it and basic features....I also want to know how to make like just one color like (red, yellow, blue. etc..) stand out but the rest in black and white. That and if you can pull off something like in one of larocks where the movie stops and it like turns around.

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 7:58 Quote
fredfreakride wrote:
I just got vegas for X-mas and I was wondering if you could give out some tips on how to start using it and basic features....I also want to know how to make like just one color like (red, yellow, blue. etc..) stand out but the rest in black and white. That and if you can pull off something like in one of larocks where the movie stops and it like turns around.

I believe Larock used Adobe After Effects for that...?

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 9:57 Quote
Oh okay....how about simple editing skills in it though...could someone post up a little bit of what they do in it and stuff?

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
401-401 wrote:
I thought of this in an easier way:

1) Is it possible to use the "green screen" thing in Vegas? I mean, we have a subject and a huge "green screen" behind him (colour doesn't have to be green, just a wall in one colour e.g. yellow).

2) we replace the "green screen" with a background movie.

3) we insert a text in the background movie.

4) we nest the tracks so that text appears behind the subject.

Now, this is pure theory because I do not know if the "green screen" thing is possible in Vegas. My friend told me that he used to do such things in Vegas 3.0 (that was long ago and I wasn't really paying attention).

Any ideas?

yeah vegas easily does chroma keying. thats what its called, by the way.. chroma keying, or just keying.

its not perfect though.. thats the only problem. if the lighting on the solid colour is not perfectly even, you get a lot of discrepancy. this is a cool idea though.. but it wont be perfect and will probably end up being more work in the end.

you talk a lot about nesting tracks.. you really dont need to do all that nesting.. if a clip is in a track above another, it will automatically take the top spot.. no need for nesting.

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 12:28 Quote
fredfreakride wrote:
Oh okay....how about simple editing skills in it though...could someone post up a little bit of what they do in it and stuff?

there's lots of little tutorial videos all over the internet.. youtube has a bunch, or just search 'vegas tips' or 'vegas tutorials' in google or something.. that should get you a lot.

otherwise, i learned almost everything i know by just playing around with it.. looots and lots of playing around.. haha.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009044
Mobile Version of Website