What rear shox on my nomad?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
What rear shox on my nomad?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 at 7:13 Quote
people, i am about to buy a new rear shox for the nomad and ditch the RP23 kashima it came with. i have been offered a DSP Dueler for a very good price and it comes with a ti spring. also on my list is a ccdb and one of the fox coils shox, i was wondering if any of you could give me a bit of a review on the above.
i am more of a trail rider who days DH days now and again i also weight a few pounds 240lbs to be exact. i just done feel the RP23 works that well, i have had it tuned by Mojo but still feels dead.

Chris

Posted: Sep 15, 2012 at 4:53 Quote
I was in the same boat mate - i dont think the rp23 (with its base tune) is suitable for people who are say above 13 stone - the air pressure you need to get the sag correct makes the shock a bit wank.

I put a ccdb on mine - and love it. Yes its heavier, but it pedals much much better. I always found the RP23 kinda bogged down when pedalling up hill - the ccdb allows you to tune this out. I guess any decent coil shock would be better for someone of your weight - but if your gonna upgrade, you may as well go for the ccdb - it gives you more options.

Posted: Sep 15, 2012 at 13:52 Quote
If you are 240lbs+, I would definitely recommend a Coil w/ 500-550 lbs Spring (depending on your ride style). Personally speaking, my Fox DHX RC4 is perfect for everything. I do prefer a more "hard" feel but it is still comfortable none the less.

TI Springs are also really nice. Those 3 that you are considering are all good candidates and you will NOT go wrong with any of them. Once again, for your higher weight I would say you should run with a stronger spring.

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 3:16 Quote
cheers guys, i have bought a DSP Dueler with a 550 ti spring, im off up anutur stiniog again on the weekend to try it

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 8:28 Quote
Nice, sounds like a great combo! Let us know how nice it is.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 8:45 Quote
Any updates with this? I am interested in buying one of these shocks for my nomad and am interested in how the shock does

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:01 Quote
Honestly, any one of these shocks, as along it is supplied with preferred Spring Rate, would be good. Ti Spring makes a big difference too. What is your weight? Do you prefer Springy/Plush or more Solid, and Riding Style/Intended Use?

I'm using the DHX RC4, as with a lot of people, I can vouch that for once using the adjustment dials actually makes a difference, and it is very versatile with great performance.

Dueler Review: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/diverse-suspension-dueler-review-2010.html

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 11:18 Quote
I like my bike super plush and usually run at least 30% sag. I just picked up a dsp dueler with 450 titanium spring.

Im 240 geared up so i think i might have to move up to a 500 but i guess ill see when i get it. Got it for a great deal

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 13:07 Quote
not yet fella still waiting, but i will let u know monday night

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 15:35 Quote
Just a note, it is stated that the Ti Springs are underatted Spring Rate wise, so maybe 550 will feel more like a 500ish.

Posted: Sep 20, 2012 at 13:57 Quote
just got back from my first ride with the DSP Dueler, i have to say i loved it. i thought i might struggle on the climb but in fact i climbed a section which i never had before without stopping somehow!!
i did find that u need to ride it hard to get the best out of it but all in all i cant see me putting my rp23 kashima back on unless im doing a big ride

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 at 9:26 Quote
I rode my dsp dueler nomad last night and it was amazing, perfect shock for vpp imo.

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 at 9:59 Quote
Nice, what's the Spring rate? And it's Ti Spring right?

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 at 12:38 Quote
[PI=javascript:history.go(-1) size=l0 align=c][/PI]

Posted: Sep 26, 2012 at 8:03 Quote
Im running a titanium 450 right now which is a little light, a 500 would be better. Im losing some weight though so im going to stick with it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013125
Mobile Version of Website