Rad retro MTB stuff [MTB of any discipline]

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Rad retro MTB stuff [MTB of any discipline]
Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 6:01 Quote
radrider wrote:
some changes to the Red Shred

DUDE! Looks like a 20"?

I dream of doing that to mine someday. Some days I think I want to keep the, "patina", others I want to make her look brand spanking new!

after ride

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
@adm Salute

@radrider Thanks! I'd probably need a stem shorter than 120mm to feel comfortable. And these are more than hard to come by. I emailed Paul Brodie to ask whether he'd be willing to make a new one for me, but he's too busy with his YT channel...

Cool cranks on your Cannondale!

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 21:33 Quote
Some classic retro pics from yesteryear, circa 1990.

My 1984 VW GTI loaded with my buddies' 1989 Cannondale SM2000 and My 1989 Red Shred

GTI and 1989 SM2000 and Red Shred

near Deception Pass, Washington State

Whidbey Island circa 1990

Early days somewhere on Galbraith...

Galbraith circa 1990

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 4:56 Quote
Has that got red leather too? Nice!

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
Some classic retro pics from yesteryear, circa 1990.

Early days somewhere on Galbraith...

thats awesome!

Ive got the 89' sm2000 too ;} but havnt decided on the build yet.

Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 18:35 Quote

Races? Probably not, but Kara K. could definitely win a beauty pageant or two.

Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
yeah...she's a looker. love the big ring up front. tup

so....how much of the stable did you wind up clearing out...? I take it this one made the cut ??

Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 20:04 Quote
adm750 wrote:
yeah...she's a looker. love the big ring up front. tup

so....how much of the stable did you wind up clearing out...? I take it this one made the cut ??

She was only on the chopping block for a couple days before I decided she was too pretty.

I’m contemplating swapping out her 42t Wolf Tooth elliptical for the 38t version that’s currently on my X. Kara barely needed that top speed, yet my X pedals out around 25-26 mph and could use it.

I’m down to my two Poseidons (Redwood and X), a 1990 Trek 820 Antelope that was purchased new by my in-laws that I now use to haul our little one around, a Bilda Civilderness riser bar gravel build that I lend out when needed and Kara K.

I do have a State 4130 All-Road arriving any day now. I’ve wanted one for awhile and when they released the limited edition National Park Foundation model I finally pulled the trigger.

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 5:06 Quote
We had a classic bike meet nearby. Friends organized it.
Some pretty cool stuff turned up.
A late 80s Fat Chance and a similarly old Ibis, some early 90s Brodies, two Toads, a very early Merlin, an early 80s Stumpjumper, a Ti Yo Eddy...

Check out the album:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/pyromaniac/album/classicbikemeet/

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
wow just wow, havent seen one of these in a while, a mate at scholl had a white one and it was the nuts!!! love it
Scottpro wrote:
gjp89 wrote:
1990 Offroad Master with WORKING FLEXSTEM. You could say this very bike was the predecessor to the current suspension bike. It was built around the stem which has a dampening system in it and allows the handlebars to absorb about an inch of travel. Offroad became PROFLEX in 1991 and started leading the way in suspension bikes for a very short while . The bike has the full Deore LX drivetrain and everything is completely original Sealed bearings cromo frame flexstem... This bike was the turnaround point for suspension mountain bikes and I have yet to see another complete original bike on the web.

Just picked this up yesterday! Spent the whole day overhauling/restoring it and managed to take 1 photo before my camera died.

1990 Offroad Master with WORKING FLEXSTEM. You could say this very bike was the predecessor to the current suspension bike. It was built around the stem which has a dampening system in it and allows the handlebars to absorb about an inch of travel. Offroad became PROFLEX in 1991 and started leading the way in suspension bikes (for a very short while). The bike has the full Deore LX drivetrain and everything is completely original! Sealed bearings, cromo frame, flexstem... This bike was the turnaround point for suspension mountain bikes and I have yet to see another complete/original bike on the web.

(will upload better/more pics of closeups when the sun comes out)
Enjoy!

Hi do you still have your Off-road Master, if so would you consider selling it, I’ve wanted one since the early 90’s but I’ve not been able to find one

Leon

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
We had a classic bike meet nearby. Friends organized it.
Some pretty cool stuff turned up.
A late 80s Fat Chance and a similarly old Ibis, some early 90s Brodies, two Toads, a very early Merlin, an early 80s Stumpjumper, a Ti Yo Eddy...

Check out the album:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/pyromaniac/album/classicbikemeet/

some great bikes in there pyro...! that must have been a fun event... tup

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
ol' Canadian ripper

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
Bars make up for the lack of knobs. Nice!

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 4:30 Quote
radrider wrote:
ol' Canadian ripper

cool as hell...!

I dig it man...kinda subtle rasta thing going on with the green headset. Sweet little details in it too...!

I'd like to see the crankset closer, and the rear brakes.... *hint hint

Aztec pads..?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011774
Mobile Version of Website