Rad retro MTB stuff [MTB of any discipline]

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Rad retro MTB stuff [MTB of any discipline]
Author Message
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
awesome..! love the brake cable hanger...! lol

did you make that spider for the cranks, and what cranks are those....?

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 11:01 Quote
Those should be Syncros Revolution cranks.

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
adm750 wrote:
awesome..! love the brake cable hanger...! lol

did you make that spider for the cranks, and what cranks are those....?
The anodizing has faded a ton on the spider. Syncros revolutions

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
sweet..! me digs those

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 20:03 Quote
Stealth syncros. Very classy

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 23:14 Quote


Facepalm
I just recently found out how these brake levers are supposed to work, after looking for a set of adjustment blocks for another pair of them.
Nobody ever told me that those little plastic inserts are supposed to be removed to increase braking force towards the end of the lever throw.

I knew that system from older levers for canti brakes but it did not seem to do much good, so it never occurred to me as a useful feature on these newer V-brake levers.


Still need to find a fork without bushing play for this ride, though. Or does anybody know how to fix this?

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:47 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Facepalm
I just recently found out how these brake levers are supposed to work, after looking for a set of adjustment blocks for another pair of them.
Nobody ever told me that those little plastic inserts are supposed to be removed to increase braking force towards the end of the lever throw.

I knew that system from older levers for canti brakes but it did not seem to do much good, so it never occurred to me as a useful feature on these newer V-brake levers.


Still need to find a fork without bushing play for this ride, though. Or does anybody know how to fix this?

The Avid V-brakes that came on my Stinky Five had that little thumb screw to adjust that block. It actually worked quite well. I had those old brakes tuned pretty nicely prior to converting the bike to disc.

Would think you could replace the bushings in that fork.

Dude's ad says he has a lot of old Manitou stuff, but not servicing them as much. May be a source of info/parts although he's in the States

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174395466636?hash=item289ac7a38c:g:vxkAAOSwg1FfOE3-

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:54 Quote
adm750 wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:
Facepalm
I just recently found out how these brake levers are supposed to work, after looking for a set of adjustment blocks for another pair of them.
Nobody ever told me that those little plastic inserts are supposed to be removed to increase braking force towards the end of the lever throw.

I knew that system from older levers for canti brakes but it did not seem to do much good, so it never occurred to me as a useful feature on these newer V-brake levers.


Still need to find a fork without bushing play for this ride, though. Or does anybody know how to fix this?

The Avid V-brakes that came on my Stinky Five had that little thumb screw to adjust that block. It actually worked quite well. I had those old brakes tuned pretty nicely prior to converting the bike to disc.

Would think you could replace the bushings in that fork.

Dude's ad says he has a lot of old Manitou stuff, but not servicing them as much. May be a source of info/parts although he's in the States

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174395466636?hash=item289ac7a38c:g:vxkAAOSwg1FfOE3-

I dialed that knob right out on the Avid levers to make the bite point feel harder and kept it that way. So it made sense to me to leave those blocks in on the Shimano levers...

Thanks for the link. Will look into it!
Although a dude in the Netherlands is selling a blue Marzocchi Z2 that might be a good fit for the Kinetic...

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 4:05 Quote
nice..!

wish I could give more useful advice on some of this stuff. Frown

The basics of bike mechanic-ery has been there since my youth, but everything for me these days on the more modern stuff is a research project. lol

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
Those manitous aren't worth rebuilding, fine while they last but that's it. Find a good Marzocchi z2, great forks, readily available parts and last forever. Look rad as well

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
yo do yall think i should put money into my 2008 fx van 36 160mm coil forks to rebuild em and make them good as new or just get a new fork?

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
It's not difficult to rebuild forks, service them & try them out. They'll probably feel much better after a lube & green SKF seals.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
So u recommend just putting all new parts on I was just asking because I know suspension has come a long way and I am wondering if it’s still worth it to do a full rebuild on these older forks instead of going to a newer fork

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
$60 for seals, oil and a little work vs $800 for a new fork is always a good start.

Other benefit is, if you still want a new fork you can get more money for a freshly rebuild fork.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
this thread is for pre 1998 bike discussion.


 
Active Forum Threads
4 mins ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
5 mins ago - Crank question…need a little help
7 mins ago - All Things Meta 29er!
13 mins ago - Osta gamma-butyrolaktoni GBL verkossa, Osta fenyyliasetoni verkosta, (BMX)
13 mins ago - Kjøp gamma-butyrolakton GBL online, kjøp fenylaceton online, kjøp GBL online, (BMX)
13 mins ago - Cumpărați gamma butirolactonă GBL online, Cumpărați fenilacetonă online, (BMX)
14 mins ago - Køb gamma butyrolacton GBL online, Køb Phenylacetone online, Køb GBL online, (BMX)
14 mins ago - Nakupujte gama butyrolakton GBL online, Nakupujte fenylaceton online, (BMX)
14 mins ago - Kup gamma butyrolakton GBL online, Kup fenyloaceton online, Kup GBL online, (BMX)
14 mins ago - Köp gamma-butyrolakton GBL online, Köp fenylaceton online, köp GBL online, (BMX)
15 mins ago - Compre gamma butirolactona GBL en línea, compre fenilacetona en línea, (BMX)
15 mins ago - Compre gama butirolactona GBL online, compre fenilacetona online, compre GBL online, (BMX)
16 mins ago - Acquista gamma butirrolattone GBL online, Acquista fenilacetone online, Acquista GBL online, (BMX)
16 mins ago - Gamma-Butyrolacton GBL online kaufen, Phenylaceton online kaufen, GBL online kaufen, (BMX)
17 mins ago - Acheter du gamma butyrolactone GBL en ligne, Acheter de la phénylacétone en ligne, (BMX)
17 mins ago - Koop gamma-butyrolacton GBL online, Koop Fenylaceton online, Koop GBL online, Koop GHB online, (BMX)
17 mins ago - Buy gamma butyrolactone GBL online, Buy Phenylacetone online, Buy GBL online, (BMX)
18 mins ago - Osta botox -injektio verkossa, osta bocouture verkossa, osta dysport -ratkaisuja verkosta,
21 mins ago - Kjøp botox -injeksjon online, kjøp bocouture online, kjøp dysportløsninger online,
21 mins ago - Cumpărați injecție botox online, cumpărați bocouture online, cumpărați soluții disport online,
22 mins ago - Køb botox -injektion online, køb bocouture online, køb dysportløsninger online,
22 mins ago - Nakupujte injekci botoxu online, nakupujte bocouture online, kupujte řešení dysport online,
22 mins ago - Köp botoxinjektion online, köp bocouture online, köp dysportlösningar online,
23 mins ago - Compre la inyección de botox en línea, compre bocouture en línea,
23 mins ago - Compre injeção de botox online, compre bocouture online, compre soluções de Disport online,

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006652
Mobile Version of Website