Powered by Outside

FOX Float 36 RC2 vs. RS Lyrik RC2 DH Solo Air

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
FOX Float 36 RC2 vs. RS Lyrik RC2 DH Solo Air
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 7:38 Quote
I want to ask about Fox 36 160mm RC2 Float and Talas. I can't decide which to choose. Basically I will ride it on 120-130mm on my Banshee Rampant frame, I will use it for Dirt, Trail, Flow Freeride, talas would be better because of travel adjustment, 100mm on dirts and 130mm on trails. But I've heard, that talas is bad when you hit big jumps on 100mm or 130mm travel, there's some thing inside it, which just pops out and you can't use travel adjustment, it was once for my buddy, so is it very big problem or not? Also I've heard that in newer style talas this problem is gone, but don't know is it true or not. Maybe someone faced with this problem? What you can advise, which one to choose?

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 11:11 Quote
the float would be better. set it and forget it.

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 11:15 Quote
Fox all the way!! It's a better all rounder than the talas and more reliable!!

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 11:20 Quote
willy94 wrote:
the float would be better. set it and forget it.

I have to agree with that. I have a Float 36 2011 and it's amazing while it breaks in. It saves my ass few times, but younshould consider if the weight is not an issue. I don't understand, why you want 36 fon the Rampat. Have you even considered 32 or 34 version, because of weight and why would you want lower the 160mm fork if you have other options and IMHO?

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 11:32 Quote
Talas=problems. Float no question.

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 11:37 Quote
milanulrich wrote:
willy94 wrote:
the float would be better. set it and forget it.

I have to agree with that. I have a Float 36 2011 and it's amazing while it breaks in. It saves my ass few times, but younshould consider if the weight is not an issue. I don't understand, why you want 36 fon the Rampat. Have you even considered 32 or 34 version, because of weight and why would you want lower the 160mm fork if you have other options and IMHO?

I want something stiffer, cause I'm planning to ride on really big jumps ( for example 7-8 meters long ant 3-5 height) so I don't want to brake it, if I will have big nosedive or something will go wrong... So Van is to heavy and Talas 100mm and 130mm positions are horrible to ride, so there's only one option, to get Float and lower it to 120 or 130 mm

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 11:40 Quote
augiss wrote:
milanulrich wrote:
willy94 wrote:
the float would be better. set it and forget it.

I have to agree with that. I have a Float 36 2011 and it's amazing while it breaks in. It saves my ass few times, but younshould consider if the weight is not an issue. I don't understand, why you want 36 fon the Rampat. Have you even considered 32 or 34 version, because of weight and why would you want lower the 160mm fork if you have other options and IMHO?

I want something stiffer, cause I'm planning to ride on really big jumps ( for example 7-8 meters long ant 3-5 height) so I don't want to brake it, if I will have big nosedive or something will go wrong... So Van is to heavy and Talas 100mm and 130mm positions are horrible to ride, so there's only one option, to get Float and lower it to 120 or 130 mm
Answered your own question buddy.Salute

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 11:47 Quote
yeah, I know, I've created this thread before asking some people about this, so I got some answers and everyone says to get float, cause talas sucks at 100 and 130 Smile but now I have other problem, float lowering to 120-130mm, ridefox says that I have to buy new air spring kit, but I saw that people just uses spacers and thats all...

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 12:02 Quote
augiss wrote:
yeah, I know, I've created this thread before asking some people about this, so I got some answers and everyone says to get float, cause talas sucks at 100 and 130 Smile but now I have other problem, float lowering to 120-130mm, ridefox says that I have to buy new air spring kit, but I saw that people just uses spacers and thats all...

Why is the Talas horrible to ride in the 130mm and 100mm positions? How does it feel different compared to the 160mm setting?

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 12:06 Quote
augiss wrote:
ridefox says that I have to buy new air spring kit, but I saw that people just uses spacers and thats all...

...from the tech manual for the 2009 36 Float... (hope this helps)

(step #4)
Pull the air-shaft assembly from the fork. Refer to the drawings below and add or remove the appropriate number of 30 mm spacer(s) to achieve the desired travel. To achieve 130 mm travel, use one 30 mm spacer; 100 mm travel, use both 30 mm spacers.

Here is the link for this manual:

http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/09/Eng/Content/Forks/36/36_FLOAT.htm

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 12:07 Quote
Huckster-McPlush wrote:
augiss wrote:
yeah, I know, I've created this thread before asking some people about this, so I got some answers and everyone says to get float, cause talas sucks at 100 and 130 Smile but now I have other problem, float lowering to 120-130mm, ridefox says that I have to buy new air spring kit, but I saw that people just uses spacers and thats all...

Why is the Talas horrible to ride in the 130mm and 100mm positions? How does it feel different compared to the 160mm setting?

hampsteadbandit says:
I would avoid the Talas, it feels dead, and the 100mm setting is only designed for climbing, and even the 130mm mode feels a little funky (inconsistent spring rate ) compared to the 160mm setting

My firend has 09 Talas 36, he had some problems with travel adjustment and had to rebuild all fork, he doesn't ride 100mm at all cause it feels horrible, fork just works how it wants, not how you want and 130mm is slightly better, but he said that he have read that talas 100mm and 130mm is designed more for xc/am than freeriding and hiting big jumps.

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 12:17 Quote
Fox Float 36 all the way. Friend had it on trails bike, and it's bombproof and super solid built. Minimal to no flex.

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 at 12:20 Quote
Oh. Just asking Smile I have a 09 talas as well. Fresh rebuild from Fox, so its in great shape. I actually ride my talas in the 100mm setting for almost all of my park/dj/trail riding. It does feel softer than the 160mm setting, but that is partly due to the geometry difference, steeper head tube angle and lower stack height making your weight over the front end more so than the 160mm setting. Maybe I got lucky with my talas? Smile

Previous Page |

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011964
Mobile Version of Website