Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 5:15 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
therevfryslim wrote:
Brudtinez68 wrote:
Dent in 2016 Giant Reign 2 downtube

I recently purchased this 2016 Giant Reign 2 Aluminum frame. A couple rides in and I was having so much fun that I took a spill and dented the downtube. Is this safe to ride? Do you think that is a collection of hairline fractures above the dent?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ysyPXrbOr0R2RpVHBlMnVYdG8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ysyPXrbOr0WnZnSFNRV1JlM2M

Cracks are I imagine where the paint/laquer has cracked as the metal has moved under them. That's what happened to my trigger when I rode it into a tree stump and bent the top and downtubes.

Is it safe to ride, not going to comment as to yes or no- your call. General concensus with bent frames is scrap them but if you're unlucky like me (I.e. can't afford to replace), you learn to ride with your fingers crossed...

It must take a big crash to crack the frame? ie will the rider likely get hurt? (i'm timid, don't do crazy things ;p so have to ask these things

I am no expert however my observations are that cracks often happen as a result of either a single, huge impact, or more often multiple impacts/stresses in a single area that build up over time. Think the FOTM last month showed a guy with an intense that snapped at the headtube where the rider had been landing badly all day and so had probably weakened the frame. It didn't look like a particularly harsh crash but was enough to do the damage.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 9:51 Quote
timmytuckshop wrote:
I have a KS integra dropper. works ok but sometimes needs a knock to get it to rise and today I noticed it fells a little rough (friction) on the way down. Is it wise to lube posts and if so what with?
Does the Integra have a removable wiper collar? If so, unscrew it, then clean inside and re-lube the wiper with SlickHoney-ish grease. I've done this a few times when my KS i950 and Giant dropper posts got sticky and it did the job.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
jsspreier wrote:
Can you use an EC49 Headset for a bike that normally uses a ZS49 Headset?

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/reach-adjust---ec49-ec49---to-suit-1-18-steerer-tube---7mm-reach-363-p.asp

I would need to adapt for this

already checked the stack height, and I would be fine
I'll let you know tomorrow... Wink

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
Brand new Reverb "knocks" or "clunks" audibly in fully extended position. I am simply pushing down on the seat and I can hear and see the post compress about 1mm. Is this normal?

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 12:50 Quote
masonskis wrote:
Brand new Reverb "knocks" or "clunks" audibly in fully extended position. I am simply pushing down on the seat and I can hear and see the post compress about 1mm. Is this normal?

Welcome to the world of Reverb ownership...

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 12:58 Quote
masonskis wrote:

not normal! sounds like you need to either release clamp pressure on your seat tube clamp or the post needs a bleed

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 13:19 Quote
masonskis wrote:

Check your pressure first! Loss of pressure causes this

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
masonskis wrote:

Welcome to the world of Reverb ownership...
This guy is spot on, warranty and then sell tup

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 15:01 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
chickenrunz wrote:
Nobble wrote:
the rotor is 100% straight, according to what?

on a flat table, put on the table no gaps, turned it over on other side, no gaps.

Use a glass table, they are almost always dead flat

I have found that the caliper might be misaligned, if you loosen the bolts, pull on the front brake lever, tighten the bolts while it's engaged and that might solve your problem, hope this helps.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 17:39 Quote
Goose0 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:

Are you serious? How is that supposed to work?
used it loads of time, the heat from the hairdryer makes it more pliable.
Maybe install a tube to seat the tire fist before putting in any sealer?

Turns out both tires are warped. Any suggestions? It's only 2 rides old (Maxxis High Roller 2).

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 17:46 Quote
maxtraxx wrote:
Goose0 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

used it loads of time, the heat from the hairdryer makes it more pliable.

Turns out both tires are warped. Any suggestions? It's only 2 rides old (Maxxis High Roller 2).
The bead is visibly seated the whole way round the wheel?

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 17:53 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
maxtraxx wrote:
Goose0 wrote:

The bead is visibly seated the whole way round the wheel?

Yep. To check, I just put the tube back in the rear and its still got a wobble.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 18:50 Quote
I have tires like that on my dirtjump bike. The lbs said some tires are just like that. I've continued to ride mine with no real problem

I'm sure the shop guys here might have a better reason.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 19:03 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
I have tires like that on my dirtjump bike. The lbs said some tires are just like that. I've continued to ride mine with no real problem

I'm sure the shop guys here might have a better reason.

Could be but it's frustrating. I just started a warranty claim with Maxxis.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 19:09 Quote
Did you use a tire iron to remove it? With a good amount of force maybe? I've done that.
Tire got a big wobble but held up fine for a long time.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022509
Mobile Version of Website