Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 22:37 Quote
Nobble wrote:
chickenrunz wrote:
guys I'm stumped as to why my new bike i got for wifey has a front brake rotor that is not aligned, ie is has the appearance of a bent rotor rubbing agaisnt the brake pads.

except that i took rotor out and it's 100% straight. so something must be "not straight". which is the most likely -?

- poor torque-ing of rotor bolts
- cheap entry level bike hub not straight
- wheel's QR system not straight

i don't have a torque wrench ... maybe it's time to get one (or two! i heard there's one for low torque and one for high torque!)
the rotor is 100% straight, according to what?

on a flat table, put on the table no gaps, turned it over on other side, no gaps.

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 22:50 Quote
Bend as needed, it doesn't really matter.

Every new rotor I've gotten has been crooked a bit.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:02 Quote
Talking of leaking rims!. Someone posted a DT wheelset/rim that was sleeved. It was leaking sealant from tubeless. Then lots of people said they'd had the same problem with the same DT rims. Most said it either stopped and went away or they just tape over the inside of the gap.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 7:24 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
Nobble wrote:
chickenrunz wrote:
guys I'm stumped as to why my new bike i got for wifey has a front brake rotor that is not aligned, ie is has the appearance of a bent rotor rubbing agaisnt the brake pads.

except that i took rotor out and it's 100% straight. so something must be "not straight". which is the most likely -?

- poor torque-ing of rotor bolts
- cheap entry level bike hub not straight
- wheel's QR system not straight

i don't have a torque wrench ... maybe it's time to get one (or two! i heard there's one for low torque and one for high torque!)
the rotor is 100% straight, according to what?

on a flat table, put on the table no gaps, turned it over on other side, no gaps.

Use a glass table, they are almost always dead flat

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 7:26 Quote
I have a question too

I have a Pslope and the rear shock bushing seems to wear out like butter... I replaced it when I got the frame and have maybe 10-15 hours riding it and they are worn out again.

The shock is a monarch rt3.

Is there such a thing as upgraded bushings or something that could potentially last longer than the fox bushings my lbs had in stock?

It's just the lower shock bushes, the uppers fine

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 7:58 Quote
Can you use an EC49 Headset for a bike that normally uses a ZS49 Headset?

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/reach-adjust---ec49-ec49---to-suit-1-18-steerer-tube---7mm-reach-363-p.asp

I would need to adapt for this

already checked the stack height, and I would be fine

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
I have a question too

I have a Pslope and the rear shock bushing seems to wear out like butter... I replaced it when I got the frame and have maybe 10-15 hours riding it and they are worn out again.

Is there such a thing as upgraded bushings or something that could potentially last longer than the fox bushings my lbs had in stock?

have you tried the fox 5pc hardware?

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 9:08 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
I have a question too

that stuff, or the white bros racing hardware, works really well.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 13:43 Quote
jsspreier wrote:

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/reach-adjust---ec49-ec49---to-suit-1-18-steerer-tube---7mm-reach-363-p.asp

Why not just buy the proper headset? It might work but would mess with the geometry.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 13:51 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
I have a question too

uu

Hmm the stuff I have looks like the fox 5 piece. But it just came out of the drawer of random bushings. So I doubt that's what it is.

Do I need to specifically ask for it?

I'll probably try the fox first because it's easiest to get for me.

Thanks for the info though guys.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
christopheryang wrote:
jsspreier wrote:

Why not just buy the proper headset? It might work but would mess with the geometry.

To use a tapered fork most likely. FSA offers a ZS49/40 headset but there don't seem to be a lot of other options.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 17:38 Quote
I ordered this shimano freehub body for a dt 350 hub and while I was waiting for delivery I found one I already had in my parts. I don't need this anymore and was going to re sell it but I've never seen one with the splines cut out to make these narrower ridges. I'd like to know if it's just for weight saving or some other reason. Thank you.
Freehub
Freehub body

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 2:15 Quote
Brudtinez68 wrote:
Dent in 2016 Giant Reign 2 downtube

I recently purchased this 2016 Giant Reign 2 Aluminum frame. A couple rides in and I was having so much fun that I took a spill and dented the downtube. Is this safe to ride? Do you think that is a collection of hairline fractures above the dent?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ysyPXrbOr0R2RpVHBlMnVYdG8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ysyPXrbOr0WnZnSFNRV1JlM2M

Cracks are I imagine where the paint/laquer has cracked as the metal has moved under them. That's what happened to my trigger when I rode it into a tree stump and bent the top and downtubes.

Is it safe to ride, not going to comment as to yes or no- your call. General concensus with bent frames is scrap them but if you're unlucky like me (I.e. can't afford to replace), you learn to ride with your fingers crossed...

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 2:23 Quote
therevfryslim wrote:
Brudtinez68 wrote:
Dent in 2016 Giant Reign 2 downtube

I recently purchased this 2016 Giant Reign 2 Aluminum frame. A couple rides in and I was having so much fun that I took a spill and dented the downtube. Is this safe to ride? Do you think that is a collection of hairline fractures above the dent?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ysyPXrbOr0R2RpVHBlMnVYdG8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ysyPXrbOr0WnZnSFNRV1JlM2M

Cracks are I imagine where the paint/laquer has cracked as the metal has moved under them. That's what happened to my trigger when I rode it into a tree stump and bent the top and downtubes.

Is it safe to ride, not going to comment as to yes or no- your call. General concensus with bent frames is scrap them but if you're unlucky like me (I.e. can't afford to replace), you learn to ride with your fingers crossed...

It must take a big crash to crack the frame? ie will the rider likely get hurt? (i'm timid, don't do crazy things ;p so have to ask these things

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 2:38 Quote
I have a KS integra dropper. works ok but sometimes needs a knock to get it to rise and today I noticed it fells a little rough (friction) on the way down. Is it wise to lube posts and if so what with?

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024303
Mobile Version of Website