Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 11:34 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
macca85 wrote:
I've got some renthal carbon fat bars mounted to renthal alu stem and its recently started creaking like a bitch, can I uses dab of regular grease to stop it, or do I need carbon paste for it?

Grease and carbon paste are completely different.
Grease gives lubrication, carbon paste creates grip between parts...

Which do you think you need knowing this?....

I have plenty of grip as it is, not once have my bars rolled from there current position. I want to know how to stop the creaking?
On a scale of 0-10, 0 being none and 10 being extremely, how helpful have you been?

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 12:34 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
morcombemedia wrote:
Explain to me offset Ø head sets and stems please!!!

An offset headset effectively puts the steerer tube of the fork slightly forward or rear of where it sits normally.
This allows you to adjust the reach of the frame to make the reach shorter or longer.
They keep the original head angle of the frame.

Angle set headsets allow you to steepen or slacken the head angle, not reach.

Hope that helps.

Surely it cant' be reliable to use angled headsets riding aggressively?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
macca85 wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
macca85 wrote:
I've got some renthal carbon fat bars mounted to renthal alu stem and its recently started creaking like a bitch, can I uses dab of regular grease to stop it, or do I need carbon paste for it?

Grease and carbon paste are completely different.
Grease gives lubrication, carbon paste creates grip between parts...

Which do you think you need knowing this?....

I have plenty of grip as it is, not once have my bars rolled from there current position. I want to know how to stop the creaking?
On a scale of 0-10, 0 being none and 10 being extremely, how helpful have you been?

Carbon parts can slip even at correct torque, grease would only make slipping more likely. I dont know how much carbon paste would help with creaking, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
Is there a way to replace my dampener without replacing the oils? I find myself running out of time and would like to install the new dampener I have but wont have time to get new oils unless they can be bought at an autozone like store. The fork is a 2016 RS Yari.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
Dynex wrote:
Is there a way to replace my dampener without replacing the oils? I find myself running out of time and would like to install the new dampener I have but wont have time to get new oils unless they can be bought at an autozone like store. The fork is a 2016 RS Yari.
not really. You'll need to top it off even if you save all your oil.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 14:55 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
morcombemedia wrote:
Explain to me offset Ø head sets and stems please!!!

An offset headset effectively puts the steerer tube of the fork slightly forward or rear of where it sits normally.
This allows you to adjust the reach of the frame to make the reach shorter or longer.
They keep the original head angle of the frame.

Angle set headsets allow you to steepen or slacken the head angle, not reach.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 14:59 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Dynex wrote:
not really. You'll need to top it off even if you save all your oil.

Last year, I used some Lucas fork oil in my son's fork and it seems to be OK. Comes in various weights. I got it at the local Canadian Tire, so ya, probably Autozone for you, or perhaps a motorbike dealer if you have one handy. I used Slick Honey grease on the seals though. Granted it's a cheap fork, but it still moves pretty freely. Like you, I was pressed for time and didn't have time to track down official MTB fork oil.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lucas-synthetic-fork-oil-473-ml-0281840p.html

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 17:18 Quote
dh-dean wrote:
arphia wrote:
dh-dean wrote:

Thanks... so would I be able to change my bottom bracket to a bb30? How would I know which bottom bracket would fit?

Sram bb30 crank is too narrow to fit, but race face has a pf92 to 30mm bb available. Going with a regular pf92 24mm bb.

from Shimano or race face will probably give you the most crank options.

Great thanks for the info, would I be able to replace the bb and cranks with hope? Or am I restricted to dram/race face/shimano?

Yeah Hope has a bb/crank that will fit in a pf92.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 20:12 Quote
Hi, today I think My rear hub died, it is a syncros but I think it has dt swiss internals, I was riding uphill smashing the pedals and sudendly I felt like when the rear tire loose grip, but in that moment I looked down and I saw myself pedaling and not getting anywhere further, I don't know if I can explain it better, hopefully you will understand

Do you think I can repare it? Or I need to look into another hub

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 20:14 Quote
fleon12 wrote:
Hi, today I think My rear hub died, it is a syncros but I think it has dt swiss internals, I was riding uphill smashing the pedals and sudendly I felt like when the rear tire loose grip, but in that moment I looked down and I saw myself pedaling and not getting anywhere further, I don't know if I can explain it better, hopefully you will understand

Grab the cassette and pull it off to see what kind of freehub you have. You might have pawls in there that are broken or stuck down. Sometimes the springs break too, and the pawls won't engage.You may be able to pick up a new freehub pretty cheap depending on what kind of hub it is. pics would help.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 20:40 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
fleon12 wrote:

Grab the cassette and pull it off to see what kind of freehub you have. You might have pawls in there that are broken or stuck down. Sometimes the springs break too, and the pawls won't engage.You may be able to pick up a new freehub pretty cheap depending on what kind of hub it is. pics would help.
The syncros hubs are usually DT 270 based. I've seen a few loose teeth off the ring gear. Ive also seen the ring gears strip out in the hub shell.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 20:50 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:
fleon12 wrote:

The syncros hubs are usually DT 270 based. I've seen a few loose teeth off the ring gear. Ive also seen the ring gears strip out in the hub shell.

The ring is cheap, but the tool to replace it is not. I couldn't find an LBS that had one when I stripped mine out.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 20:54 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:

The ring is cheap, but the tool to replace it is not. I couldn't find an LBS that had one when I stripped mine out.
Its not a common job for sure. I have the ring tool only because I was sent one by scott to repair a warranty wheel :s

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 0:26 Quote
While having the rear wheel out, the freehub + cassette fell off. I hit the rear wheel against the floor at a slight angle..
It's a DT 350 hub.
I put everything back together with some fresh grease and it seems to work fine.
Is there anything to worry about, though?

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
While having the rear wheel out, the freehub + cassette fell off. I hit the rear wheel against the floor at a slight angle..
It's a DT 350 hub.
I put everything back together with some fresh grease and it seems to work fine.
Is there anything to worry about, though?
That's normal with a 350. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you didn't lose a spring when it fell off.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033927
Mobile Version of Website