Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 3, 2017 at 14:27 Quote
arphia wrote:
fleon12 wrote:
So, here I am again, I still have a problem with my singlespeed conversion, it makes a type of ghost shifting if I put more power into the pedals, I am using a singlespeed Sram chain, with an alfine chain tensioner and a 32x18 gearing, For what I know the max cog size of the alfine is 20t, also I removed some links off the chain to give more tension, but still makes the ghost shift.
What more I can do? Maybe a thinner chain? Like a 8 speed chain? Or check the derailleur hanger? Any other thing to do?

I think that alfine tensioner moves even farther away from the cog when the chain is shorter, making it easier to slip. It might work better with the chain longer so it really settles in next to the cog.
Probably an even better option is get something like a Surly singleator and switch it to push up on the chain.

I tried Alfine and it never really worked for me either. I ended up using one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Outline-spring-multi-speed-bike-to-single-speed-Conversion-adjust-chain-tension-/282270400575?var=&hash=item41b8a0803f:m:mgYehGHkE-b8S4iAJ7ydogw

Been solid for over 3 years now with no issues. I like that you can adjust the chainline perfectly either in or out.

photo

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 15:50 Quote
Not quite sure if this is the right forum to post this on, but I wrecked earlier today and put a dent in my helmet, should I replace it?

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 16:05 Quote
bikeordie2772 wrote:
Not quite sure if this is the right forum to post this on, but I wrecked earlier today and put a dent in my helmet, should I replace it?

yes.

also glad to hear it seems to have done its job by the way! Smile

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 16:10 Quote
[Quote="iffy"]
bikeordie2772 wrote:

yes.

also glad to hear it seems to have done its job by the way! Smile [/Quote
I am too

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 16:42 Quote
Quebec2010DH wrote:
arphia wrote:
fleon12 wrote:
So, here I am again, I still have a problem with my singlespeed conversion, it makes a type of ghost shifting if I put more power into the pedals, I am using a singlespeed Sram chain, with an alfine chain tensioner and a 32x18 gearing, For what I know the max cog size of the alfine is 20t, also I removed some links off the chain to give more tension, but still makes the ghost shift.
What more I can do? Maybe a thinner chain? Like a 8 speed chain? Or check the derailleur hanger? Any other thing to do?

I think that alfine tensioner moves even farther away from the cog when the chain is shorter, making it easier to slip. It might work better with the chain longer so it really settles in next to the cog.
Probably an even better option is get something like a Surly singleator and switch it to push up on the chain.

I tried Alfine and it never really worked for me either. I ended up using one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Outline-spring-multi-speed-bike-to-single-speed-Conversion-adjust-chain-tension-/282270400575?var=&hash=item41b8a0803f:m:mgYehGHkE-b8S4iAJ7ydogw

Been solid for over 3 years now with no issues. I like that you can adjust the chainline perfectly either in or out.

photo
Thanks, will take a look into the fouriers one

O+
Posted: May 3, 2017 at 18:16 Quote
maxtraxx wrote:
Goose0 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

used it loads of time, the heat from the hairdryer makes it more pliable.
Maybe install a tube to seat the tire fist before putting in any sealer?

Turns out both tires are warped. Any suggestions? It's only 2 rides old (Maxxis High Roller 2).

Thought I should mention that Maxxis shipped me 2 new tires for free to replace the warped ones. What an excellent way to treat a customer. #Maxxis4life

Posted: May 3, 2017 at 18:59 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
z-man wrote:
Bladder and cap is almost certainly blown. No option other than to rebuild the damper, replace the bladder and replace the (probably) bent bladder cap.

This for sure. Very common with that era fox rc2 cartridges. You may get lucky and the bladder didn't tear. In which case just new oil and bleed will fix it. Bladder is usually damaged though which means new parts too as stated above.

I probably should have mentioned that they are lowered to 80mm with about 170 PSI in them.. so is it possible the issue is simply they have more air in than the manufacture intended, thus leading to the rebound not being slow enough?

btw i don't in anyway doubt that the Bladder is blown, they are pretty old, but i thought I should have previously mentioned the above details.

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 13:20 Quote
EmilsV wrote:
Hello everyone! So today while I was riding my fork started to work weirdly and after I took a little look at it I saw it on too much travel (like its now from 100mm to 140mm). Also it works really soft like only on air. Maybe there is someone who knows what happened? By the way fork is SR Suntour Duro DJ 2013.

I will appreciate any help.
photo
photo

That happened to my used lyrik a few rides after i got it. bought it from a guy at a bike shop. messaged him. he had it serviced by rockshox for me after that. very standard service fixed everything to perfect. i think it was just oil, maybe bushings at most.

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 13:29 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
EmilsV wrote:
Hello everyone! So today while I was riding my fork started to work weirdly and after I took a little look at it I saw it on too much travel (like its now from 100mm to 140mm). Also it works really soft like only on air. Maybe there is someone who knows what happened? By the way fork is SR Suntour Duro DJ 2013.

I will appreciate any help.
photo
photo

That happened to my used lyrik a few rides after i got it. bought it from a guy at a bike shop. messaged him. he had it serviced by rockshox for me after that. very standard service fixed everything to perfect. i think it was just oil, maybe bushings at most.

Took my apart. It's a total toast. Spring is broken, cartridge has a pretty long crack and there was other stuff too. Don't know how internals are broken so bad while uppers and lowers aren't cracked.

EDIT: Also took it apart looking at forks manual online and my forks internals were much different. Don't know but maybe other owners hacked it or something with different parts etc.

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
Hi,
Just bought a Rockshox Pike RCT3. The fork came with package labeled "upgraded air sealhead". Is this included due to some know issues with the "non-upgraded" air seals? Just curious. I can't find any info one way or the other.
Thanks
JR

O+
Posted: May 4, 2017 at 14:11 Quote
Before I contact SRAM to warranty my Boxxer World Cup, has anyone had any experience with the rebound knob turning infinitely in the Charger Damper without it making any difference in the dampening?

The fork literally only has 4 days on it.

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 19:53 Quote
cmkneeland wrote:
Before I contact SRAM to warranty my Boxxer World Cup, has anyone had any experience with the rebound knob turning infinitely in the Charger Damper without it making any difference in the dampening?

Make sure set screw is tight.

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 19:55 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
cmkneeland wrote:

Also try using an Allen key to adjust it.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2017 at 17:01 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:
cmkneeland wrote:

Also try using an Allen key to adjust it.

Yup. The allen key works. The allen key on the adjuster knob is about 5-7mm to short. It doesn't reach the damper adjustment inside. I hope SRAM has a fix for it.

Posted: May 5, 2017 at 17:40 Quote
Is this fixable? What do you guys think. It's on the downtube.
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032002
Mobile Version of Website