Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 27, 2017 at 14:37 Quote
Heat gun the gorilla tape gently and it turns into a pretty hard layer of plastic.

Saves the tape lifting with tyre swaps.

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 14:51 Quote
Ok thanks a lot guys!

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 15:18 Quote
I'm having issues bedding in my new rotors I recently bought some zees and ran them on my avid rotors which where a couple seasons old but they warped and I bought new rotors which where zees also I sanded the pads did a bed in and went biking and the stopping power is slot les ten what it was before sanded the rotors and pads again bedded them in went ridding today and same issue....any ideas

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 15:36 Quote
soulless wrote:
I'm having issues bedding in my new rotors I recently bought some zees and ran them on my avid rotors which where a couple seasons old but they warped and I bought new rotors which where zees also I sanded the pads did a bed in and went biking and the stopping power is slot les ten what it was before sanded the rotors and pads again bedded them in went ridding today and same issue....any ideas

get yourself a little butane torch (or a big one, y'know... the choice is yours)
sand/clean pads and rotors, then run the torch over them to burn off any schmutz that might still be on thurr, there usually is.
i have done this for a while now and it works amazingly well.

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 16:12 Quote
el-booto wrote:
soulless wrote:

get yourself a little butane torch (or a big one, y'know... the choice is yours)
sand/clean pads and rotors, then run the torch over them to burn off any schmutz that might still be on thurr, there usually is.
would baking them work?

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 16:25 Quote
soulless wrote:
el-booto wrote:
soulless wrote:

would baking them work?

only at 4:20 Razz

in all seriousness tho, you can get those butane torches everywhere, and once you have it they're extremely handy.

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 16:41 Quote
el-booto wrote:
soulless wrote:
el-booto wrote:

would baking them work?

only at 4:20 Razz

in all seriousness tho, you can get those butane torches everywhere, and once you have it they're extremely handy.

Sounds good man ty for the info

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 17:39 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:
Ok thanks a lot guys!
Cut the smallest possible x in the tape for the valve. Im my experience cutting it a little larger than needed can result in leakage at the valve. The valve moves around when youre pumping up the tyre so its the weak point for getting a good seal

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 19:20 Quote
Snozz wrote:
Eddkilla wrote:
Ok thanks a lot guys!
Cut the smallest possible x in the tape for the valve. Im my experience cutting it a little larger than needed can result in leakage at the valve. The valve moves around when youre pumping up the tyre so its the weak point for getting a good seal

I made sure to do that by using a fine screwdriver to make a small puncture in the tape and following it up with installing the valve to widen the hole to the valve's diameter. From what I can see it creates very tight seal. Thanks for the tip and I'll report back in a couple days on how it's holding up!

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 22:05 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:
Snozz wrote:
Eddkilla wrote:
Ok thanks a lot guys!

I made sure to do that by using a fine screwdriver to make a small puncture in the tape and following it up with installing the valve to widen the hole to the valve's diameter. From what I can see it creates very tight seal. Thanks for the tip and I'll report back in a couple days on how it's holding up!
you're doing it the correct way.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 4:35 Quote
I have some shimano deore xt disc brakes. Lately I have been noticing that they will both (front and rear) randomly lose pressure during rides. They will go from working fine to me squeezing all the way to the bar with no engagement. I can flick or pump the brake which doesn't do much but if I leave it for a little it'll go back to normal. Anyone know what's going on here? Could it just be air bubbles that need to be bled out?

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 4:45 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
I have some shimano deore xt disc brakes. Lately I have been noticing that they will both (front and rear) randomly lose pressure during rides. They will go from working fine to me squeezing all the way to the bar with no engagement. I can flick or pump the brake which doesn't do much but if I leave it for a little it'll go back to normal. Anyone know what's going on here? Could it just be air bubbles that need to be bled out?

almost certainly a bleed.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 7:29 Quote
iffy wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 8:51 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
iffy wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:

Is it the new m8000 series, there have been issues with inconsistent operation and a few warranty claims.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 9:55 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
maxlombardy wrote:
iffy wrote:

Is it the new m8000 series, there have been issues with inconsistent operation and a few warranty claims.
it's been fixed if I remember rightly the pistons are white on the new ones the faulty ones were black same with xtr m9000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022226
Mobile Version of Website