Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 10:49 Quote
Hi,
Can a remote lockout be removed on a RS Super Deluxe ? I took a look at the new Reign range and they all have this stupid XC thingy. Could I remove it to lock it on the shock body ?

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 11:06 Quote
Hi, I have a 2017 Giant Regin advanced 1 . I was looking for some help on what my Giant hubs have for internals . They are the stock Trx-1 27.5 carbon rims 15-110 & 12-142. I've read they have DT Swiss internals , if so does anyone know if they are pawls or star ? Just curious thx. JP

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 23:58 Quote
Any tips on mounting Maxxis DH casing wire bead tires? Moved a used DHR 2.4 from my front to rear rim pretty easily, but I broke 3 plastic tire levers trying to get a new DHF Super Tacky on. One side is ok, but the last 4 spokes of bead on the other side are being a royal bitch. Tried soapy water on bead/rim, have the rest of the tire in the centre channel etc. Am trying to pull the tire back toward the rim with one hand and pushing bead with lever on the other... rims are Novatec Demon 27.5 if it matters, setting up tubeless.

I can't believe people can get these buggers on with bare hands... I suck.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 0:53 Quote
keatonistheguy wrote:
I really need new brakes but don't want to spend a ton of money. Right now I'm running this year's Deores, and I want to upgrade to Zee. I noticed that the levers are pretty similar so could I just buy Zee calipers? I know that the Zee and Deore calipers connect to the hose different so I think I'd need some different hardware. Could someone tell me if this would work and maybe link the right hardware?

Yes it would work, but it's not worth the bother.
Buy the whole brake and keep your deores as a spare if/when zee levers start to leak

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 2:28 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Any tips on mounting Maxxis DH casing wire bead tires? Moved a used DHR 2.4 from my front to rear rim pretty easily, but I broke 3 plastic tire levers trying to get a new DHF Super Tacky on. One side is ok, but the last 4 spokes of bead on the other side are being a royal bitch. Tried soapy water on bead/rim, have the rest of the tire in the centre channel etc. Am trying to pull the tire back toward the rim with one hand and pushing bead with lever on the other... rims are Novatec Demon 27.5 if it matters, setting up tubeless.

Maxxis DH tires are a real bitch. you just need a good quality, big ass (long) tire lever and lots of effort...

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 2:37 Quote
gramboh wrote:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack-With-Handle

I've been using one of these, it's helped me put on tires I definitely couldn't do with my bare hands.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 5:52 Quote
Skootur wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Maxxis DH tires are a real bitch. you just need a good quality, big ass (long) tire lever and lots of effort...
no you don't, you just need man hands and the right technique.

You should never be using a giant ass tire lever on a bicycle. You can easily f*ck up rims that way. If you need tire lever, the plastic colored Pedro's ones are best.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 8:48 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Skootur wrote:
gramboh wrote:

no you don't, you just need man hands and the right technique.

You should never be using a giant ass tire lever on a bicycle. You can easily f*ck up rims that way. If you need tire lever, the plastic colored Pedro's ones are best.

What is the right technique? I've heard of people getting DH tires on without levers but I can't even come close with my hands. As I said, folding bead EXO/DD/SuperGravity is no problem.

In the mean-time, I may try that lever from Jenson.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 12:25 Quote
Just upgraded my fork to Rock Shox lyric and cant get the front end running right. Theres either play in the forks under braking or the steering is too heavy. I can't get a a happy medium, any advice?

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 12:54 Quote
zsdoom wrote:
Just upgraded my fork to Rock Shox lyric and cant get the front end running right. Theres either play in the forks under braking or the steering is too heavy. I can't get a a happy medium, any advice?
like a new lyric or old?

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 12:57 Quote
soulless wrote:
zsdoom wrote:
like a new lyric or old?
2017 model

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 13:09 Quote
zsdoom wrote:

check that you didn't leave anything out, the bearings are in the right way and did you move over the crown race off the old fork?

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 13:18 Quote
el-booto wrote:
zsdoom wrote:

check that you didn't leave anything out, the bearings are in the right way and did you move over the crown race off the old fork?

Yeah, crown race moved over to new fork. Might take it to my local shop and get a second opinion. First time ive had isses when changing forks

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 13:22 Quote
gramboh wrote:

I just ran into this problem as well with a new set of 2.5 High Rollers. I ended up using a bit of soapy water and these.
http://www.parktool.com/product/steel-core-tire-levers-tl-6

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 13:42 Quote
I find my fork bottoming out too often unless I run too high pressure which has obvious side effects.
I like a much more progressive fork than this,
It is around 2012 fox 32 fit talas I believe
I just got it and the travel adjust was a must for me so I don't really want to change forks again
Any recommendations?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023708
Mobile Version of Website