Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 10:15 Quote
sdrvper wrote:
I have Shimano Alivio 3x9 and I never use my front derailleur, all it does is make noise. Can I just strip off the derailleur & shifter and shorten my chain to make it an effective "1-by"?
You should be able remove your shifter and cable and use the front derailleur as a ghetto chain retention device. Shorten your chain. I have done this long ago on some scrap part builds.

Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 20:47 Quote
Another XD driver convert issue... I have DT Swiss 350 hub currently using 6 pawls body. I bought the wrong XD Driver convert that are designed for ratchet system. My friend say he may have the two ratchets and spring that I can use (will try tomorrow).

But I am concern about needing to switch the ratchet rings that are right on the hub if I were to go for ratchet system? Or will existing ratchet rings from pawls system work?
I could not find any solid information online about this, does anyone have experience with this or know what I should be doing?

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 22, 2017 at 16:24 Quote
bartb wrote:
Hey guys, I picked up the following cassette for my hardtail build, 1x10.

Sunrace MX3 11-42t.
I also ordered a Race Face NW 34t chain ring for the front.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ca/en/sunrace-mx3-10-speed-shimano-sram-cassette/rp-prod149194

I'm having difficulty finding a rear derailleur that is 10-spd and will clear all the gears.

I've seen mentioned that I could use a 11-spd deraileur but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Has anybody ran a similar setup like this?
My slx with a medium cage clears my sunrace just fine

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2017 at 18:33 Quote
bikeordie2772 wrote:
bartb wrote:
Hey guys, I picked up the following cassette for my hardtail build, 1x10.

Sunrace MX3 11-42t.
I also ordered a Race Face NW 34t chain ring for the front.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ca/en/sunrace-mx3-10-speed-shimano-sram-cassette/rp-prod149194

I'm having difficulty finding a rear derailleur that is 10-spd and will clear all the gears.

I've seen mentioned that I could use a 11-spd deraileur but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Has anybody ran a similar setup like this?
My slx with a medium cage clears my sunrace just fine

I've heard if zees making the range okay too, depending on chain growth, shifting was helped with a goat link.

But I'm sure a SRAM medium cage would also be be okay depending on b screw

Posted: Sep 23, 2017 at 5:47 Quote
Hey guys, I'm changing the oil on my 2009 marzocchi 66rcv and as I had opened up the right fork leg top cap to drain the fluid, I pulled out the spring and flipped the fork upside down. After a few minutes, what looks like this little plastic piece fell into my drain bucket.

Does anybody recognize where this may go? I've searched the diagrams on Google and don't see it shown.

photo
photo
photo

Posted: Sep 23, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
Aint that the bushing?

Posted: Sep 23, 2017 at 18:14 Quote
I need a new headset for my 2008 specialized enduro can anyone please help me out I don't know what to get

Posted: Sep 24, 2017 at 8:47 Quote
AnthonyMtz1673 wrote:
I need a new headset for my 2008 specialized enduro can anyone please help me out I don't know what to get

canecreek has a headset finder thing
\

Posted: Sep 24, 2017 at 9:08 Quote
bartb wrote:
Hey guys, I'm changing the oil on my 2009 marzocchi 66rcv and as I had opened up the right fork leg top cap to drain the fluid, I pulled out the spring and flipped the fork upside down. After a few minutes, what looks like this little plastic piece fell into my drain bucket.

Does anybody recognize where this may go? I've searched the diagrams on Google and don't see it shown.

]
photo

Looks likely it sits at the very bottom of the lower, the footnut will go through it, looks like just an oil seal as the bottom out bumpers are usually larger?

Posted: Sep 24, 2017 at 10:43 Quote
AnthonyMtz1673 wrote:

can you post a picture of your headtube please?

thanks

Posted: Sep 24, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
2008 is one of the years they did their double crown fork right? That's just a straight up 1 1/8 external cup threadless headset. As Soulless pointed out, you better double check it on Cane Creeks website to be sure before throwing down the cash.

It's hard to find a terrible headset but a cane creek 40 is a good balance between cost and quality.

Posted: Sep 24, 2017 at 15:15 Quote
Slight issue. Was on a ride the other day and the entire CTD rebound lever assembly on the shock came out. Does this mean sending it off to the likes of mojo or tftuned or can it be easily fixed?

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 at 15:33 Quote
soulless wrote:
AnthonyMtz1673 wrote:

canecreek has a headset finder thing
\

This and i would agree with other posts on that... I have an 08 pitch that was straight 1 1/8th external cup... thing fell apart on me when i put it into storage a while back...

Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 7:00 Quote
I have a leak from my Xt (8000) lever :
I noticed that the rear shifter was a bit oily and that it sticks dust so i cleaned it and it came back. I also had to purge it more often than the front. I would seem that there's a leak in the lever. It's still under warranty. But I also heard there is an relief hole on these levers and that a little bit of oil is normal. It could also be like this guy, i'll check : https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=191794

Should I have it warrantied ?

Other question : there are multiples theories about shimano bleeding : some say you put the funnel on top and just a bag at the bottom ("gravity bleed") and some say that you push the oil from the bottom with a syringe to the funnel. What's the best way ?

Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 7:40 Quote
Whipperman wrote:
I have a leak from my Xt (8000) lever :
I noticed that the rear shifter was a bit oily and that it sticks dust so i cleaned it and it came back. I also had to purge it more often than the front. I would seem that there's a leak in the lever. It's still under warranty. But I also heard there is an relief hole on these levers and that a little bit of oil is normal. It could also be like this guy, i'll check : https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=191794

Should I have it warrantied ?

Other question : there are multiples theories about shimano bleeding : some say you put the funnel on top and just a bag at the bottom ("gravity bleed") and some say that you push the oil from the bottom with a syringe to the funnel. What's the best way ?
From Bottom to get old fluid out quickly and then gravity with funnel

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029411
Mobile Version of Website